Need more Power!!!

alex57834

Club Champion
Visit site
So I'm 12 and when I use the driver I get nice high ball flight but I only get about 100, 150 yrds out of it. I don't know what to do so please tell me!!!

power fade

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So I'm 12 and when I use the driver I get nice high ball flight but I only get about 100, 150 yrds out of it. I don't know what to do so please tell me!!!

Hi Alex, my son has just turned 12 and has been playing for approx 2 years. He currently hits the ball around 160-180 due to his technique which has improved through practice. He is quite small for 12 but his power comes from a really strong shoulder turn and this may well be something to consider if your own swing is more arms than shoulders.

Would suggest you dont try and hit it too hard as your technique will suffer, just try and keep the swing smooth and controlled. You can always add the power as you improve

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hi Alex,

Are you a member of a golf club? Most god clubs have a junior section and give free coaching to Junior members. If you can do this you should be able to get some god advice.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
if not a member then look for some junior coaching courses during half term break due shortly.
but enjoying getting it round in the mean time one way or another its how many not how which we all forget at times.

StrangelyBrown

Tour Winner
Visit site

Him..?

captainchaos_zps8f786e3f.jpg

alex57834

Club Champion
Visit site
Okay yesterday I was at the driving range and I noticed that my swing was sort of going out to in and then hitting it. Does that do anything to your shot?

alex57834

Club Champion
Visit site
Okay another question, I went to my local golf course and did a few holes and was doing a lot of fat shots on the fairway and then tried to put more weight on left foot. Then I did a nice fairway shot and nice tee-off. After that it started again with the fat shots?

macca64

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
not sure about hitting it fat could be to steep,but your weight should just favour the right foot (if rh) at address ,

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
not sure about hitting it fat could be to steep,but your weight should just favour the right foot (if rh) at address ,

Your weight should not always favour your right side. It all depends on shot type, club in hand, stance and swing type. The best thing to do is speak to your local pro at your course, if not a member post a vid on here and some the experts will analyse it and give you decent feedback.

Just keep enjoying it

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
In addition to improving your technique you could try swinging a weighted club. I got a "doughnut" weight and a weighted "pocket" last year when I was building up my strength again after a period of ill health and they really helped me get a bit of zip back in my swing. Only about £5 each. They just fit over the club head of a normal club. I used them on an old 6 iron with a stiff shaft.

Nice thing about them is that you can just practice with them in the garden anytime you feel like it.