N/R in strockplay

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I never finished the ninth hole today in a strockplay competition and put n/r for that hole, my question is can I still record the rest of the scores for h/c purposes, and do I still get disqualified from competition.

wjemather

Visit site
Yes, you must complete the round for handicapping. And yes, you get DQ from the comp for failing to hole out (rule 3.3c).

wjemather

Visit site
I think you can NR on up to 4 holes in an 18 hole round and still have the round count towards your handicap calcs.
You can NR on all 18 if you truly play badly enough to be unable to manage a single nett double bogey.

You must start a minimum of 10 holes for an 18 hole score to be acceptable, and have a valid reason for not having started any holes.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
Apparently it varies by handicapping authority. USGA recommendation is minimum of 14 completed holes, but England Golf only require 10/18 (or 9/9).
1683745129070.png

Last edited:

wjemather

Visit site
Apparently it varies by handicapping authority. USGA recommendation is minimum of 14 completed holes, but England Golf only require 10/18 (or 9/9).
View attachment 47709
Yes. 10 holes in GB&I (and several other jurisdictions), 14 in USGA jurisdictions (and some other jurisdictions).

Also the requirement is to play the minimum number of holes. Holes are considered played if they are started (rule 2.2), so there is no requirement to complete them.

Swango1980

Visit site
I think you can NR on up to 4 holes in an 18 hole round and still have the round count towards your handicap calcs.
Shep, you must have known this was not true. You have surely frequently blobbed more than 4 holes in competition golf, and noticed the round still counts towards your handicap ;)

wjemather

Visit site
if you only complete 10 then it is treated as a 9 hole round for handicap purposes. When at least 14 holes are played it is treated as an 18 hole score for handicap purposes.
No it isn't. An 18 hole round is always treated as an 18 hole round, regardless of the number of holes started.

If fewer than 10 holes are started, the score is not acceptable; if 10 or more holes are started, the score is scaled up with nett pars (with nett par +1 for the first unplayed hole if fewer than 14 holes are played).

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No it isn't. An 18 hole round is always treated as an 18 hole round, regardless of the number of holes started.

If fewer than 10 holes are started, the score is not acceptable; if 10 or more holes are started, the score is scaled up with nett pars (with nett par +1 for the first unplayed hole if fewer than 14 holes are played).

I was trying to not go in to great detail !!!!