My swing

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
While the example of what can happen he first shows in this video is very much exaggerated for folks who may have more severe problems with striking ball first ground second. What he says about how to go about fixing what you are trying to fix is good advice, so it would be good for you too to do the drill here.

[video=youtube_share;zSwkW21F74M]http://youtu.be/zSwkW21F74M[/video]

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Another vid that if you get a club down on the ground on your home practice mat, in exactly the same position as in this drill.

Then pay attention to where the handle of thee club your using is in the takeaway & how the handle returns to a different position on the way to impact in relation to the handle on the ground, & as in the last vid transition starts with weight pressure in the lead left foot. It should help you get the contact & shift you're searching for.

[video=youtube_share;xvMiZQo70-E]http://youtu.be/xvMiZQo70-E[/video]

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Another good thought to have to get that weight shift, ball first ground second. But as you can hear from the quality of the strike it's probably one that a ways best not trying to do on your home mat with a real ball, cause when you get this right you could do some damage with the rebounds.

[video=youtube_share;rNrcGvbfy4M]http://youtu.be/rNrcGvbfy4M[/video]

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
[video=youtube_share;6VelYudwD8g]http://youtu.be/6VelYudwD8g[/video]

You can get a ball towel, just fold it & place it say 10 inches behind the ball, then swing to miss the towel while feeling weight pressure in left foot, feeling as here the right palm stays down facing the ball, so quiet hands.
When you can do it easily just bring the towel to around 6 inches behind ball & repeat drill. Best first off you curtail follow through but as you get the drift of it, you can then progress to full swings.

Last edited:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Here's a pic where you can see where you are losing your angles

As a drill, my advice would be to hit some shots starting your swing from Rory's position and practice hitting it from there until the feeling becomes natural. Then try it on the full swing
Hope this helps

Deano23

Club Champion
Visit site
It's hard to swing in bare feet too as you have very little ability to grip the ground. There's a reason Hogan had an extra spike...

quinn

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Here's a pic where you can see where you are losing your angles

As a drill, my advice would be to hit some shots starting your swing from Rory's position and practice hitting it from there until the feeling becomes natural. Then try it on the full swing
Hope this helps

Thanks for all the advice, it's given me plenty to work on, bob I've tried doing this drill, I'm trying to keep the wrist hinge as long as I can, the problem I get is that it feels like I'm hitting the ball with the club face way open, the ball goes off to the right with a " slap" of the club face or the dreaded shank, I've played for years not taking a divot because it happens every time I try and hit down on the ball, hopefully with the advice I've had on here and plenty of practice I'll finally crack it, cheers guys

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
the problem I get is that it feels like I'm hitting the ball with the club face way open, the ball goes off to the right with a " slap" of the club face or the dreaded shank,

This may be caused by another 'cure'
In your efforts to get your weight forward, you seem to be sliding your hips a little too much getting your hips too far forward leaving your hands behind, hence the slap.

If you can reduce the hip slide and keep the weight on the INSIDE of the left foot, you should find it easier to square up the clubface at impact.

quinn

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
This may be caused by another 'cure'
In your efforts to get your weight forward, you seem to be sliding your hips a little too much getting your hips too far forward leaving your hands behind, hence the slap.

If you can reduce the hip slide and keep the weight on the INSIDE of the left foot, you should find it easier to square up the clubface at impact.

That sounds about right, it feels like my hands a way behind my, thanks again bob, cheques in the post 😄

dsanders9944

Medal Winner
www.bdgolf.tv
Before fixing the downswing you should firstly fix your set-up. To me it looks like you need more secondary spine tilt(Tilt away from the target from face on). This, coupled with more relaxed arms at the start and throughout the downswing should go a long way to help with both weight shift coming through impact and natural(not forced) lag. Heres a clip to help with your set-up

[video=youtube_share;EHRwgQe0k2o]http://youtu.be/EHRwgQe0k2o[/video]

Deano23

Club Champion
Visit site
Before fixing the downswing you should firstly fix your set-up. To me it looks like you need more secondary spine tilt(Tilt away from the target from face on). This, coupled with more relaxed arms at the start and throughout the downswing should go a long way to help with both weight shift coming through impact and natural(not forced) lag. Heres a clip to help with your set-up

[video=youtube_share;EHRwgQe0k2o]http://youtu.be/EHRwgQe0k2o[/video]

Tracey Reed has the best and most dynamic method of getting into the correct set-up.