My new wedge

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Had few hours to kill after work yesterday so went for a spin before I picked H.I.D up, I just so happened to drive past American Golf so decided to pop in and look around. Soon got speaking with the manager about what’s in my bag and what clubs I was looking to upgrade, and we both agreed I needed a new wedge so immediately thought titleist Vokey , I tried it and liked it secondly the Cleveland CG14 Wedge again liked it and finally the Nicklaus Dual Slot wedge and my goodness I liked it! The link is below ……………..

http://www.americangolf.co.uk/navproduct...Dual-Slot-Wedge

The dual slot helps you easily open up the club face and the face being tour grinded really helps spin the ball, I have only been to the range with it so far and played around on their chipping / putting green with it but am definitely considering buying another. I went for the 60 degree option, I know its too much loft for some but I like it, probably get a 56 degree in next few weeks.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Can I ask why you would want to open the face of a 60 degree?
I think it looks a bit gimmicky to be honest though if it works for you then stick with it.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'm very wary of AG at the moment. Every store I've been too are flogging the Niclaus stuff to death (I guess they must have the biggest margins on these). When I was trying my irons they gave me a Nicklaus model to try which just so inappropriate and ballooned the ball high and short.

When I was trying to buy a new driver they kept telling me to try the Nicklaus model even though I told them I had narrowed my preferences to the G10, Hyper X, Burner, Hi Bore and R7.

Don't get me wrong the wedge you have bought looks fantastic and I'm glad you are getting on with it. I'm just somewhat frustrated that they seem to think everyone wants to buy a Nicklaus club. I'll probably go and try one over the weekend and fall instantly in love with it so my negative preconceptions and suspicion at AG staff will all have been misconceived

benny

Head Pro
Visit site
Jack Nicklaus is a crock. He's always moaning about 'Modern clubs are making the game easier - Its not such a big acheivement when you have a club that plays the shot for you - I don't watch golf on tv anymore when I know I can play better myself'
I love Jack but he needs to accept that he can't keep up with the young pro's anymore, his time is gone and his clubs are game improvements tools aimed at the high handicapper who want the game to be easier and are not taken seriously by better golfers. You don't get this crap with Arnold Palmer.

forefortheday

Tour Rookie
Visit site
No Arnie doesn't flog any dodgy wares using his famous name does he...............

Check out his website his "partners" include an employment agency,hearing aids, a bank, vodka and a dvd manufacturer he's a pro and like most pro's they'll put their name to anything for filthy lucre!

benny

Head Pro
Visit site
Hahaha I mean he doesn't try and convince you he's selling top line gear when he's just selling anything he can to make safe the future of all the little Palmers. Arnie-P knows people will see through it. You can't polish a turd.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I used to open up a 64° and fire the ball past my nostrils. That said, the course had a lot of elevated and very narrow greens, so if you ran through you had to pitch 8ft up, and 2ft forward. Now I have changed course this is not a shot I need to play. 58° is my maximum loft now.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I would consider myself fairly proficient round the greens but unless there is absolutely no other shot, I would not even consider opening the face of a lob wedge, its just such a difficult shot and accuracy is nigh impossible. Most greens are big enough to play a sandwedge on and have a definate putting chance rather than leaving a lob wedge shy and in the sand or rough etc.
There is a saying in my fourball, its not derogitory or anything but is fairly self explanatory, "Take your medicine"

The23rdman

Challenge Tour Pro
www.soulfulphotograpy.co.uk
I would consider myself fairly proficient round the greens but unless there is absolutely no other shot, I would not even consider opening the face of a lob wedge, its just such a difficult shot and accuracy is nigh impossible. Most greens are big enough to play a sandwedge on and have a definate putting chance rather than leaving a lob wedge shy and in the sand or rough etc.
There is a saying in my fourball, its not derogitory or anything but is fairly self explanatory, "Take your medicine"

horses for course. Our greens are very small with lots of elevation and bunker so there is often very little else one can do. As a result I'm proficient at the shot and feel comfortable with it. That's not to say it always goes right, but I'm just as likely to chunk a simple chip!