Murcar v Montrose Courses

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Have the opportunity to play one of these courses in an Individual Comp. My HI is 18.4 and early 70’s only hitting 170/180 yards from the tee but quite straight.

Any thoughts on which will be preferable bearing in mind it is not a Seniors so probably off the white tees.

Thanks for any help

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Have the opportunity to play one of these courses in an Individual Comp. My HI is 18.4 and early 70’s only hitting 170/180 yards from the tee but quite straight.

Any thoughts on which will be preferable bearing in mind it is not a Seniors so probably off the white tees.

Thanks for any help
Murcar has some decent carries off the whites if I remember correctly

D

Deleted Member 1156

Yep, been a while since I played Montrose but seem to remember it being a bit more forgiving (and flatter) than Murcar. Both are lovely courses though so you will enjoy either ?

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site
Yes, Montrose will be a bit more forgiving off the tee.....bit more trouble on Murcar's tight front 9 with rough and gorse more in play. Although if you're a straight hitter, you won't have a problem at either, there's no huge carries at Murcar.

Do try and play both at some point though!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Yes, Montrose will be a bit more forgiving off the tee.....bit more trouble on Murcar's tight front 9 with rough and gorse more in play. Although if you're a straight hitter, you won't have a problem at either, there's no huge carries at Murcar.

Do try and play both at some point though!
No huge carries at Murcar but plenty of magnetic sneaky and hidden fairway bunkers...

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Murcar, is much shorter than Motrose and prob a bit tighter, but you got value for your shorts, when we played it it was quite firm and you got good roll out. Murcar was quite quirky i'd say with a few blind shorts to greens, helpful to have played it before maybe, but good fun.

why choose play both:LOL:

Peluqui

Visit site
If it’s blowing a 3 club wind then both will present a challenge that I am sure you will enjoy. As previously said take the opportunity to play both if you can, but if you have to choose one, go for Murcar.

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site
Murcar, is much shorter than Motrose and prob a bit tighter, but you got value for your shorts, when we played it it was quite firm and you got good roll out. Murcar was quite quirky i'd say with a few blind shorts to greens, helpful to have played it before maybe, but good fun.

why choose play both:LOL:

Only 150 yards shorter off the whites but certainly tighter.

Waitforme

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’m a member at Montrose and I’d say it’s pretty open off the tee. No penal rough either.
Fairways are giving plenty of run at the moment , on a parkland course I get average of just over 200 from the tee but Montrose is regularly 225+
It‘s 25 years or so since I played Murcar so can’t add anything to above comments.