MP's - disgusted

B

birdieman

The revelations coming out about what MP's have been claiming as expenses from the taxpayer is imo absolutley disgusting.

I had very little faith in any of them before but after this I have zero.

These people are supposed to be our leaders and set an example particularly in the current economic climate.

Instead its take take take and exploit a ridiculous system that has some of them claiming for 3 homes, barbeques, tv's, razors, wet rooms, blue movies and god know what all else.

What these gormless people do doesn't usually interest me but this has really got me wound up.

What a sleazy shower of unscrupulous spineless self important creeps.

I sincerely hope there is mass resignations when all details are revealed. We the public should not stand for it.

Politicians used to be well meaning, upstanding people, this current lot are the lowest of the low. :mad:

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
Its a pity they are all as bad as one another and if any leave they one's who fill their boots will no doubt be as bad.

I'd fill the House of Commons and blow the whole bloody lot of them up.

Andy

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Who's to say this hasn't been going on for years?
Problem is, no matter how much we dislike it, the majority of these expense claims have been made according to the guidelines and OK'd by the appropriate people. So who's to blame? The Polititians or the body that approves all the claims?

Not condoning it at all but - if in your job you were allowed to claim all sorts of expenses for this that and the other, can you honestly say you wouldn't? If your Boss came to you and said "Oi! You're entitled to claim £100 per month for parking your car in the car park" would you take it? Of course you would and therein lies the issue.

The system is wrong - not necessarily the theiving money grabbing slimy, windbags that are elected to represent us.

And OK they made the rules. But again if you were allowed to make the rules can you honestly say you wouldn't make a few that make your life a little easier?

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
Whilst I agree with you. It's the fault of the system. They're allowed to do it because that's the rules.

Yes our politicians should set an example as public servants, but are they any different to the liberties other public servants take, or even private sector employees take?

I'm all for tighter controls on public spending as a whole, not just expenses. There's just too much waste at the moment.

I also don't think it's right for the hypocricy (sp) that exists regarding this. I doubt if there isn't one of us that hasn't misclaimed for something. Be it expenses or insurance. Or not had something out of the stationary cupboard at work for personal use, even an envelope. Or been using the internet when they should be working, etc.

Okay it's slightly different, but the principle is the same. The only difference is that they're allowed to claim for these expenses, (well most of them anyway, not sure about the naughty movies!).

ps. When I refer to the double standards and 'us'. I mean our media and the population as a whole, though obviously not all.

Yerman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
And they call themselves honourable -what a sick joke that is. There are far too many of the parasites anyway, should treat it like "foot and mouth" and have a cull!

B

birdieman

Imurg, I take your point but these people believed the details wouldn't be made public, thats why they have gone to town. If they known we'd all find out they wouldn't have done it. It's what it says about their character that riles me. These are publically elected people in positions of huge responsibilty spending freely taxpayers money in a country that is practically bankrupt from over spending and high debt. It's immoral what they're doing.

We need some politicians with balls and with morals.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Having worked in the inner sanctum of government within the Treasury I feel qualified to comment. I know what goes through the payroll. One of my former jobs was pay clerk to Margaret Thatcher and the entire Cabinet Office so I have a very good idea what they are paid up front in terms of salary and allowances. It is the manipulation of the rules that is the problem and sadly the basic greediness that is human nature.

The problem has been the same for years irrespective of party and will remain so until such time as a review and abolishment of the way the modern MP is able to conduct business within the expense framework. It is accountable and audited but it is the system that is wrong not the oeople acting within it

B

birdieman

It is accountable and audited but it is the system that is wrong not the people acting within it

Somehow I don't think 99% of the UK population will accept that it is merely the system that is wrong - these politicians are intelligent people who know their every move is followed by the media, If they were honest they would take expenses for genuine costs incurred not the maximum they can get their grubby hands on. You can see how they are squirming already on camera and that they know they have done badly wrong despite the system allowing it.

Heads will roll! ;)....hopefully

Atticus_Finch

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
it is the system that is wrong not the oeople acting within it

What absolute twaddle!

These people are a disgrace. Although the system is wrong, it's these people that vote for it and manage it.
They know they've been busted, (you can see it in their eyes) Blears is the worst.
Straw, although getting a 50% reduction on his council tax claims it all back, and then repays it when he gets bust...sorry.. discovers his mistake.
I'm incandescent with rage.
The 18th century Parisians had the right idea.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
You are missing my point. Until the system is amended to stop the ability to claim these riduculous expenses nothing will change. They are entitled to make the transactions and claim the cost.

Let me put it another way.In your job if you were entitled to claim £100 per week travel expenses even though you only had a 5 mile journey and got the bus and suddenly found yourself desperately short of cash (I accept these politicians aren't but bear with me) would it not be a) human nature and b) within your rights to claim the extra money to help you through the fiscal shortfall.

For what it is worth, I agree 110% with what everyone is saying and as a taxpayer feel just as aggrieved as everyone else. My point though is that it is the system that is wrong for being so open to abuse in the first place.

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I agree with the point about the system, but what this flawed system shows clearly is the lack of integrity and indeed honesty of politicians.

After all these political swines know about the system, its been there for years and shown its flaws for years, for an MP to take extreme advantage of it shows their worth to the people and country they are supposed to work for.

To say its not the MPs its the system is not quite right in my view, its both!

After all, who has the power to bring about change in a bad system, knowing advantage is being taken?

You guessed it didnt you? :D

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Personally i think there the biggest crooks in the country they've got more scams than Delboy Trotter ,there always on the make and pleading poverty. A few years ago the MP for my district would come into the local pub and wait till someone would by him a drink , he would never by his own they guy was always on the make ,it used bug me stupid.There needs to be a major shake up in the way this countries run as its going to the dogs even the Poles are going home because they get a better standard of living back home now. This country needs strong leadership not Gordon Brown making a *** of himself every time he opens his mouth. :mad:

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Personally i think there the biggest crooks in the country :mad:

Nonononononono

How very dare you. :eek:

Gordon went to great pains to say that the £6k he paid his brother for his cleaning was above board.

He went as far as checking it with other mps. Which would mean for Gordon to be a crook, the whole House of Commons would need to be bent as ..........

:eek:

Ok, well I hope that's cleared that up.

No more of that sort of nonsense now, please.

PS Jo Lumley for President

MVP

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
what i been realising lateyly is that our council tax is going up and up as it does. and as we pay part for policing!. have you realised that the old bill are now driving

audi A6s, BMW 5 series, Mitsubishi Lancer 10s. Rangrover sports.

what was wrong with skodas and mondeos and vovlos etc....

were being robbed for nothing day in day out!

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Headline in my local paper this morning MILLIONAIRE MP IN EXPENSES ROW says it all bunch of crooks, she claimed £25,000 for security patrols , what a lot of rubbish. Time to get of my soap box as i fell a heart attack coming on :D :D

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
MVP. Reference the police cars, I wrote to Mike Fuller, Chief of Kent Police as I was pulled over by a BMW X5.

I outlined that as off-roaders go they are absolutely crap and of no use whatsoever.

I also pointed out that having BMW 530 Estates as pursuit cars was a joke also and whilst I was at it, I said why, with every one of the cars they buy, do they fritter our council tax on the highest-spec models with every option.

I didnt even get a reply.