Moving from steel to graphite shafts in irons?

slicer79

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
For anyone that has made the switch how have you found it, pros & cons?
Also what adjustment did you make if any in terms of weight, flex, etc
Never tried graphite in irons, something I'm curious about maybe giving a go

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
They recommend dropping no more than 20g on shaft weight.
I went from KBS Tour (120g) to Recoil 95g... initially in stiff but found regular works fine.
Moved a couple of years ago and the only steel shaft in my bag is my putter.
Won't go back to steel...

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I played graphite for years. Originally did it just because the promise was more distance. Graphite shafts back were not as a consistent as they they are now. I was fitted for my first set and went for a set of speed rated variable kick point ones (higher shots in the long irons and lower in the short irons). I got on with them really well and they were part of dropping my handicap down to single figures.

An injury and a reduction in income meant the second set were off the shelf R flex and with them I maintained my handicap.
Several years later when speed machines first came out it was pointed out to me that my swing speed had dropped to 70 MPH with them (odd I still swung around 108 with a driver).

Went back lightweight steel and got the swing speed back up. Still have the second set and they get the occasional outing but I am a bit 'hooky' with them.

Last fitting trial was about 2 years ago and the Pro said to stick with lightweight steel.

If thinking about graphite I would certainly say "get fitted", more important than with steel but try lightweight steel shafts at the same time if you are not already using them.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Definitely on my radar for my next (Probably final) new set as I am getting on and the back is still dodgy so interesting to see some views on this. I might nip to the next Ping or TM fitting day at the club and hit just graphite and see what happens

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
For anyone that has made the switch how have you found it, pros & cons?
Also what adjustment did you make if any in terms of weight, flex, etc
Never tried graphite in irons, something I'm curious about maybe giving a go
I just saw on YouTube than Titleist staffer Iona Stephen, who had been playing graphite, went back to steel on her irons and wedges.
She went to graphite for a hand problem, and now that she's sufficiently recovered from it, she went back to steel.

I'm not an expert,
but if a small woman thinks that she'll have a better chance in Open qualifying rounds with steel,
steel must still have a competitive advantage.

Graphite-shafted irons have certainly been a blessing to seniors, their hands, and their joints,
no question,
but there must be a reason why competitive players still prefer steel.

Having noted that, I've no idea what that reason is.

RichA

Visit site
I just saw on YouTube than Titleist staffer Iona Stephen, who had been playing graphite, went back to steel on her irons and wedges.
She went to graphite for a hand problem, and now that she's sufficiently recovered from it, she went back to steel.

I'm not an expert,
but if a small woman thinks that she'll have a better chance in Open qualifying rounds with steel,

Graphite-shafted irons have certainly been a blessing to seniors, their hands, and their joints,
no question,

Bryson Dechambeau uses graphite shafts and he's does ok, so it might not be that simple.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site

I'm not an expert,

no question,

One of the reasons Iona went back to steel is due to her preferred graphite shaft being discontinued and therefore increasingly difficult to find.
She tried others but none fitted the bill
I suspect if that shaft hadn't been discontinued she would still be using it..
I think weight is a large factor in pro use...there aren't many graphite shafts that weigh over 110g and most Pros use steel shafts of 120g to 130g to aid timing.
The shafts can have the same bend profile/stiffness but weight is always going to be a problem
For us amateurs....I believe graphite is the way to go.

Captain_Black.

Visit site
I went from a set of Ping i210's fitted with Dynamic Gold 95g steel shafts to a set of Mizuno JPX 923's fitted with recoil graphite shafts & absolutely love them

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I'm not an expert,

no question,

85g Nippons I believe.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My PXGs were fitted with 70g MMT graphite shafts, numbers don't lie.
But when i went out on the course I hated them so had them reshafted with 95g KBS $ taper lites.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I bought a set of Srixon irons in march. The old clubs were stiff steel and the guy doing the fitting suggested a switch to stiff graphite which I did. He said he want more spin than my TaylorMade 790's were giving me. After a few months I feel that I'm hitting pretty ok with them