Motocaddy S1 trolley, BLEW UP !!!!!

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ok so here is the update.

I called my pro who advised me to take it to a recommended repairer. He provided me with the contact details of said people.

I had no response from Motocaddy despite their claim of aiming to get in touch with me within 8 hours of my complaint being lodged. I e-mailed them today and they finally replied asking for a mobile number that they may contact me on.

I have just come off a call with one of their "technicians" who speculated a lot about what may have caused this to happen. He then advised me of a local repair person whom I could take it to. (it was the same person that my pro had advised of.)

He did give me the option of getting it sent to them to have it repaired but he advised that this could possibly take longer and cost more.

Irrespective of where I send it they are not interested in investigating they just advised that it would be out of warranty and I will have to pay for it to be repaired. He speculated that this may cost around the £100 mark !!!

I told him I was a bit disappointed that their product has had this malfunction when it is only 3 years old but he advised that "these things can happen" and to find out how much the rapair will cost to see if it was worth while or put the money towards a new one.

So basically am screwed, shell out to get it repaired or shell out for a new one.

But whatever it won't be a motocaddy as "things sometimes go wrong" "it can happen" "tough Sh1t"
Was the repair mans name Davie Williams. ???

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site

So basically am screwed, shell out to get it repaired or shell out for a new one.

But whatever it won't be a motocaddy as "things sometimes go wrong" "it can happen" "tough Sh1t"

That seems a bit harsh when it is 3 years old. It would have been nice for them to sort you out at no cost, but I wouldn't have expected them to.

MC72

Assistant Pro
Visit site

I called my pro who advised me to take it to a recommended repairer. He provided me with the contact details of said people.

I had no response from Motocaddy despite their claim of aiming to get in touch with me within 8 hours of my complaint being lodged. I e-mailed them today and they finally replied asking for a mobile number that they may contact me on.

I have just come off a call with one of their "technicians" who speculated a lot about what may have caused this to happen. He then advised me of a local repair person whom I could take it to. (it was the same person that my pro had advised of.)

He did give me the option of getting it sent to them to have it repaired but he advised that this could possibly take longer and cost more.

Irrespective of where I send it they are not interested in investigating they just advised that it would be out of warranty and I will have to pay for it to be repaired. He speculated that this may cost around the £100 mark !!!

I told him I was a bit disappointed that their product has had this malfunction when it is only 3 years old but he advised that "these things can happen" and to find out how much the rapair will cost to see if it was worth while or put the money towards a new one.

Powakaddy are currently doing the free Powakaddy cart bag with new trolleys which is a saving of over £100 on the cost of a trolley and bag together.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
That seems a bit harsh when it is 3 years old. It would have been nice for them to sort you out at no cost, but I wouldn't have expected them to.

I agree - and would add that I definitely wouldn't expect them to get involved until there's an idea as to what's actually failed and an indication of how or why (probably only implied from the actual element failed but it's a start!)

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
As a few people have mentioned, it was brought from the Pro.

The Pro should be fighting your case with the manufacturers or risking the fact that you might stop buying from him in future, and also you might be persuading your playing partners too. I would "express my concern" with your Pro and say that you will be thinking more than twice about buying such a major investment in the future from him if you get no support when a prime investment just fails with no back up, especially as you have been thinking about buying new clubs, and also your partner was thinking of taking up the game etc.
Is there anything you can do please ....

It's too easy for them to say No. standard Insurance company initial tactic - very sorry but you are not covered. And most people go away .

Push it a bit with the Pro

Good luck.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Having got the official word from Motocaddy I'd definitely be using their facebook and twitter pages to explain, as eloquently as you did here (no rants) what they have said. Nothing like getting it out there. You're not looking for anything free, lying or being rude but it'll be interesting to see if it evokes a different response once PR and Head Office see it

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The second your official warranty is up Motocaddy have absolutely no interest, been there with them before and happy I will never have to deal with them again, hope you get it sorted OP but personal recommendation would be to buy a diff trolley personally

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
You might want to check out the consumer law (Government website, CAB etc) as there's been changes. A product like your trolley would be expected to have a life well beyond 3 years, even lithium batteries now have a 3 year limited warranty. I think up to a year it replaced or repair free of charge (because fault obviously existed from new) up to 2 years repair/partial refund because of the use you've had ay 3years repair/refund contribution.

Remember, as has been said, your contract is with the Pro as he is the seller and thus responsible what Motocaddy says cannot take away your Consumer Rights. Most high street shops and on-line companies etc will try and fob you off because hardly anyone is aware of their full rights which are now pretty extensive.

This is probably the type of stuff you are alluding to.

http://www.whitegoodshelp.co.uk/faulty-appliances-sale-of-goods-act/

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Having got the official word from Motocaddy I'd definitely be using their facebook and twitter pages to explain, as eloquently as you did here (no rants) what they have said. Nothing like getting it out there. You're not looking for anything free, lying or being rude but it'll be interesting to see if it evokes a different response once PR and Head Office see it

Except a trolley or repair eh? :rolleyes:

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
Although Motocaddy service response has been pretty slow I surprised what it being said on here. Had this been a lower status brand trolley then I'd doubt there would be many recommendations to bully the company across social media.

It's 3 years old and judging by your handicap reductions it's probably been very, very well used.

This doesn't strike me as a failure due to inherent fault either. It would probably be more indicative of reasonable wear and tear through use.

Motocaddy have given a ball park figure of £100 without knowing the fault or what needs replaced but that doesn't sound unreasonable especially when that will include labour which is probably the majority of the cost. The replaced parts should carry additional warranty and extend the life possibly another 2 years providing a different part doesn't fail. They have recommended an independent repair service to help save you money and reduce hassle. Your pro has also tried to help by directing you the same way.

If all products were expected to last and have the warranty some on here seem to be expecting then lots of businesses would cease to exist.

Others have recommended Gokart. I would also join that list. I have had mine 2 years with only one return to the factory and that turned out to be an error on my part not locking the battery in fully. Motocaddy actually offer the same level of warranty that Gokart do, they just don't appear to have the same level of customer service.

I have bought it knowing that I have coverage for the first 24months but if anything comes after that I fully expect to pay for the repair and know that if I can be helped then Gokarts customer service will offer me the easiest solution. I also know I can send it back for a full service which will extend the full warranty by another 2 years and this will cost £99. Nice piece of mind with that.

Motocaddy don't offer anywhere near the service that Gokart do but to me they appear to have provided an adequate level of service. Had this been a £1000 Stewarts trolley showing a similar failure then I'd understand wanting to argue the reasonable time clause of the sales of goods act but not on the entry level motocaddy.

Last edited:

Fish

Banned
Visit site
As a few people have mentioned, it was brought from the Pro.

The Pro should be fighting your case with the manufacturers or risking the fact that you might stop buying from him in future, and also you might be persuading your playing partners too. I would "express my concern" with your Pro and say that you will be thinking more than twice about buying such a major investment in the future from him if you get no support when a prime investment just fails with no back up, especially as you have been thinking about buying new clubs, and also your partner was thinking of taking up the game etc.
Is there anything you can do please ....

It's too easy for them to say No. standard Insurance company initial tactic - very sorry but you are not covered. And most people go away .

Push it a bit with the Pro

Good luck.

I think is totally wrong, as an ex-retailer I was more than aware of the risk of losing future business from customers but once something is out of warranty and the manufacturer has been contacted and said no, the pro or seller has no other remedy other than taking a hit himself, and with margins being so small with some of these products, why should he take a loss just in attempt to secure future business, which is never guaranteed!

The correct actions have been taken, unfortunately Motocaddy seem to have a stubborn stance on their warranty period and that's fine, it will though, as word gets out across social media make new prospective customers think twice about investing in Motocaddy with such a hard stance, however, the pro should not be dragged into this as per your comments as he has acted well within he remit.

jim murphy

Visit site
Please take trolley to Golf Trolley Works Glasgow for a free estimate of repair by a engineer. A report will be issued detailing what exactly went wrong. As a Motocaddy agent I will on this occasion repair the trolley for cost of parts only.
Jim Murphy

Baldy Bouncer

Blackballed
Visit site
Please take trolley to Golf Trolley Works Glasgow for a free estimate of repair by a engineer. A report will be issued detailing what exactly went wrong. As a Motocaddy agent I will on this occasion repair the trolley for cost of parts only.
Jim Murphy

Bit late Jim,..........This all happened back-end of August!!!!!

Hendo007

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Jim Murphy

Dragging this thread back up from the deep deep depths of the forum just to give you all an update.

Having buried the trolley under a tonne of "stuff" in the shed and not really playing golf much over the winter I finally dug it out last week.

I contacted Jim Murphy from www.golftrolleyworks.co.uk and took my trolley over to him last Saturday.

It turned out that the control box had been collecting water (probably due to going through the odd deep puddle now and again!!) which had caused it to eventually burn out.

Jim has since replaced the faulty part and managed to get me a discount from motorcaddy for the replacement part.

I have the trolley back in full working condition.

I would really like to bring this back to everyone's attention to highlight the superb customer service that I received from Jim @ golftrolleyworks. Really nice gent that went that extra mile for me.

If you or anyone you know have a faulty or damaged trolley then I wouldn't hesitate to recommend you contact jim.murphy@golftrolleyworks.co.uk and I am sure he can sort it out for you.

Chris

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Good service, if all it cost was the part ... but I'm guessing Jim wouldn't do a parts only repair for everyone that brings a trolley in. Wouldn't make much business sense ;)