Most Pros are chokers

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
As in "choke down" on the club, when necessary. I noticed, while watching them in the windy conditions at Abu Dhabi on Sunday, that they played a lot of shots with the hands well down the shaft, sometimes with 2" or more grip showing above the hands. It's a shot I find very difficult to play but I think it would be worthwhile trying to learn.

I remember, a few years ago, watching Darren Clarke play a shot into a strong wind at Slaley Hall. I would guess that it was, for him, probably a full 6 iron. He took a 3 of 4 iron & played it with his bottom hand on the steel of the shaft. The ball flew about 20 feet high and dropped onto the green & stopped dead.

I play on a very exposed course & my New Year Resolution is to learn to play shots like this.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I grip an inch or so further down on my 5 & 6 irons and my hybrid. Mainly because I can't hit the bloody things otherwise. I'm sure that's not why they're doing it though. :D

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
As in "choke down" on the club, when necessary. I noticed, while watching them in the windy conditions at Abu Dhabi on Sunday, that they played a lot of shots with the hands well down the shaft, sometimes with 2" or more grip showing above the hands. It's a shot I find very difficult to play but I think it would be worthwhile trying to learn.

I remember, a few years ago, watching Darren Clarke play a shot into a strong wind at Slaley Hall. I would guess that it was, for him, probably a full 6 iron. He took a 3 of 4 iron & played it with his bottom hand on the steel of the shaft. The ball flew about 20 feet high and dropped onto the green & stopped dead.

I play on a very exposed course & my New Year Resolution is to learn to play shots like this.

I'm a choker if I want to hit it low

[video=youtube;aRPAqER9JWQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRPAqER9JWQ&index=16&list=PL7Uf2W3sfvqYBJ3 OUldKvQT7ZWYEmPOyW[/video]

Nashy

Head Pro
Visit site
Alot of good players will choke down when they want to reduce height into the wind.

They will also choke down the grip 1-1.5 inch to take a little bit of distance off, my friend who I caddied for would do this when he was between clubs. For example between a 7-8 he would choke down a 7.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
When I was younger someone I used to play with used to have this argument with me.

I preferred to choke down on the club and keep my swing the same to change distance, he kept his set up the same and altered the length of his swing.

I still maintain that choking is better and by keeping your swing the same, as much as possible makes it more repeatable

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
When I was younger someone I used to play with used to have this argument with me.

I preferred to choke down on the club and keep my swing the same to change distance, he kept his set up the same and altered the length of his swing.

I still maintain that choking is better and by keeping your swing the same, as much as possible makes it more repeatable

Some players use both.....
Short, medium and full swing = 3 distances
Plus
Grip at the top, middle and bottom = 9 distances for each wedge

Practice with your wedge until you have a yardage for each swing length, write them down.
Repeat with middle and bottom grip, write them down.
Then tape the paper to your wedge
Repeat for all wedges

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Some players use both.....
Short, medium and full swing = 3 distances
Plus
Grip at the top, middle and bottom = 9 distances for each wedge

Practice with your wedge until you have a yardage for each swing length, write them down.
Repeat with middle and bottom grip, write them down.
Then tape the paper to your wedge
Repeat for all wedges

Of course I do, do this. manufacturing shots if needed.

I think the point is a simple shot that is inbetween two clubs. I prefer choking my friend preferred a 3/4 swing. My argument is that the dispersion is easier to control by choking as you swing remains the same, of course it is possible to reduce distance by swinging shorter, but the dispersion will be high unless you do a lot of practice.

Interestingly I read somewhere that when pitching Speith keeps exactly the same set up and swing length for every distance and just changes how hard he swings to alter the distance.

This I imagine requires a lot of practice again to get the distances consistent, but strikes me that you would probably get fewer duffs as your body will be doing the same thing all the time to getting correct rotation etc

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Brilliant! Wish I could do that.

It's easy with a bit of practice.

Narrow the stance by bringing in your rear foot.
Grip down
Half swing back, half swing through
Dont hit it hard. If you do, you get more speed which produces more spin = more height.

Stay down over the shot a fraction longer than normal.
Try and take a divot.

If you listen to the 2 shots in the video, you will hear the low shot has a thud as I hit down on it.

A rough guide to help you with this shot is add 2 clubs so if it's a 7 iron shot, use a 5

HTH

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Of course I do, do this. manufacturing shots if needed.

I think the point is a simple shot that is inbetween two clubs. I prefer choking my friend preferred a 3/4 swing. My argument is that the dispersion is easier to control by choking as you swing remains the same, of course it is possible to reduce distance by swinging shorter, but the dispersion will be high unless you do a lot of practice.

Interestingly I read somewhere that when pitching Speith keeps exactly the same set up and swing length for every distance and just changes how hard he swings to alter the distance.

This I imagine requires a lot of practice again to get the distances consistent, but strikes me that you would probably get fewer duffs as your body will be doing the same thing all the time to getting correct rotation etc

Everyone is different and each will have their own preference
Alter the swing length, change the grip or both, neither is right or wrong just one will be easier for you.
Of course practice helps.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's easy with a bit of practice.

Narrow the stance by bringing in your rear foot.
Grip down
Half swing back, half swing through
Dont hit it hard. If you do, you get more speed which produces more spin = more height.

Stay down over the shot a fraction longer than normal.
Try and take a divot.

If you listen to the 2 shots in the video, you will hear the low shot has a thud as I hit down on it.

A rough guide to help you with this shot is add 2 clubs so if it's a 7 iron shot, use a 5

HTH

I was trying this with a couple of hybrids and my 5 wood at the range last night. I can get them low but they always seem to have excess left to right movement on them.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I was trying this with a couple of hybrids and my 5 wood at the range last night. I can get them low but they always seem to have excess left to right movement on them.

It sounds as if your body is getting ahead of your hands. Try and keep lower half quiet