Most peculiar issue/rulings faced in 2023

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Usually it is from not knowing them. Its why the average player gets so many rules wrong in a quick quiz. Many are simply innocent error, other ignorance, and other a genuine attempt at fairness but it just isnt the rule. You often see people dropping two clubs lengths for free relief. The free/penalty one lenght, two length, invites that mistake. Or similar to current thread on the rule forum, players taking fuller than permitted relief from a path - a hedge or long gross on the side they most drop to, so they circle around to some short grass to get relief. You can see their point. Or searching for a ball for a few minutes, and then, not finding it, concluding it must be in an adjacent hazard (it may well be) and so taking a drop rather than a lossed. Not to mention the nitpicking ones like ball marking, teeing outside the markers, repairing plug marks off the green, etc. Not to mention the really convoluted ones as discussed here or on other forums at times, where even rules gurus get tied up in knots. Other than academic interest, in real golf for fun, it isnt even worth trying.

I have long stopped stalling anyone doing all these things, even if I am marking their card. It just isnt worth the grief.

The rules are just too long, and too convoluted to expect the average golfer to know them. The game can be played quite, or even very accurately with just having the general idea - one club length, two club length, etc. Obviously at elite competition level, we expect it to the rules. But expecting the average Saturday golfer to play perfect rules golf is unnecessary.

But on your point, I would say most rules breaks are ignorance or obscurity of the rules. A player will naturally bias towards favouring themselves, but thats not outright cheating or choosing to break a rule.
When I first played with auld guys back in the day they told me the rules.

”Put your ball on the tee and don‘t touch it again until you pick it out of the hole. If you lose it or can’t play it go back to where you hit your last shot and add 1 to your shots to that point. Drop your ball and play on and until your ball is in the hole”

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
When I first played with auld guys back in the day they told me the rules.

”Put your ball on the tee and don‘t touch it again until you pick it out of the hole. If you lose it or can’t play it go back to where you hit your last shot and add 1 to your shots to that point. Drop your ball and play on and until your ball is in the hole”
If it wasn’t for slowing play these days, that would be a great rule. Suppose it would only take a few angry faces on the tee to get everyone playing provisionals. ?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
If it wasn’t for slowing play these days, that would be a great rule. Suppose it would only take a few angry faces on the tee to get everyone playing provisionals. ?
When me and my mate started playing (age 12/13) we didn’t really know any of the rules. It was given as advice that would hold us in good stead until we had learned more of the rules. We were also told that if one of us had to go back we should let any following group through.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
When me and my mate started playing (age 12/13) we didn’t really know any of the rules. It was given as advice that would hold us in good stead until we had learned more of the rules. We were also told that if one of us had to go back we should let any following group through.
My mate texted me the other day to say he played 9 holes with a 4 ball and 2 ball in front of him and it took 3hrs with no consideration for letting people through.

it’s a short hackers course but that is just bonkers..

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Great argument in a sweep couple of weeks ago .
Similar player on path asking for a drop. ( yes he can).
Guy says “ you don’t get a drop of the path”( he’s wrong.)
Player gets his wallet out and says “ I bet you £65 that your wrong that’s all I have with me”
Not another word.
I did similar a few years back after a round when a rules query got "heated",

I grabbed a rule book from behind bar , placed €50 on the correct ruling page, said "theres how confident i am" , any1 thinks or knows im wrong can match it or join forces and match it if they want ..

No takers

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I get that 'putting a chunk of cash' on the line is intended to demonstrate the confidence/certainty of knowledge

Unfortunately I reckon most of the time it just scares (even bullies) the other party into silence/submission and didn't actually change their opinion on the dispute one iota, so it ultimately fails in its objective and resolves nothing other than a faux 'win' of an argument

I think it'd be better served by sticking 2 quid or a pint on it which is easier to match then the rule book is far more likely to be opened and the real 'winner ' established plus someone learns the correct rule

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I did similar a few years back after a round when a rules query got "heated",

I grabbed a rule book from behind bar , placed €50 on the correct ruling page, said "theres how confident i am" , any1 thinks or knows im wrong can match it or join forces and match it if they want ..

No takers
Yes it’s funny how quiet big mouth rule buffs become when they are challenged

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I get that 'putting a chunk of cash' on the line is intended to demonstrate the confidence/certainty of knowledge

Unfortunately I reckon most of the time it just scares (even bullies) the other party into silence/submission and didn't actually change their opinion on the dispute one iota, so it ultimately fails in its objective and resolves nothing other than a faux 'win' of an argument

I think it'd be better served by sticking 2 quid or a pint on it which is easier to match then the rule book is far more likely to be opened and the real 'winner ' established plus someone learns the correct rule
Yes also seen this work.
Guy bet another he was wrong.
He bet him 10 pence he was wrong but added.
“ I absolutely insist that you pay me “
Job proved and he made him pay up.
I was very impressed