Monty Criticising Els and Westwood

stevelockie

Head Pro
Visit site
Thought Monty's crticism of Ernie and Lee for missing the Volvo Masters was a bit uncalled for!

They had signed contracts to appear in Singapore, the honourable thing to do. It's not their fault the dates clashed.

Besides, I don't think the order of merit is high on Ernie's "to do" list!!

Golfer2112

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I agree. Els and Westwood are not under any contractual obligation to go to Valderrama (indeed, they are contracted to play elsewhere) and the European Order Of Merit is not what is once was.

I like Monty and always support him but he does frequently seem to be in danger of disappearing up his own behind.

g_2112

furyk_or_unique

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm afraid you're all completely wrong on this one - much as I usually don't have a lot of time for Monty when he goes off on one!

To talk about contractual obligations when the date for the Volvo Masters is set months, if not years in advance is absolute nonsense.

The European Tour helped make these players their fortunes and they wouldn't be where they are today if the Tour hadn't provided a suitably lucrative schedule for them to play on. And what do they do in return... head off in search of yet more money rather than paying their dues! Pure greed on the part of these players and their management team at ISM.

For four of the top 10 on the Order of Merit to not be there is an absolute disgrace, and if you look further down the list there's another 10 or so who can't be bothered either. Must be terrible having to play for all that guaranteed money after a long hard season.

These players will look pretty stupid if more sponsors get hacked off at their arrogant attitudes and withdraw their support thus leaving them without the millions to play for to which they have become all too complacently accustomed.

Rant over... on a lighter note, can anyone begin to explain the presence of Sandy Lyle and Ronan Rafferty in the field beyond the fact that they are presumably past champions??

"This week, we have the top 60 players in Europe plus a couple of old has-beens who used to be able to knock it round a bit back in the 1990s..."

Kind of devalues the event even further don't you feel??

clubchamp07

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
While I was reading ur post I was thinking good let them go to where ever they want that will let some others in to the volvo masters to make a few quid, that they wouldn't of made had these players played in Spain this wekkend.
Then I read that they have invitied these past winners into it luss doing the also rans out for a few quid. When will these old farts hang up their clubs and let the younger guys make a few pounds?
Who the hell wants to see Rafferty shoot 2 85's then go home and make more money from Sky telling us how the course should be played. If he can sit there and tell us how it should be played why the F*** isn't he still playing?
Rant Over

Golfer2112

Assistant Pro
Visit site
In my opinion you are expecting our top golf pros to exhibit the highest of moral and ethical standards. It would be nice if the world worked that way....but it doesn't.

You say The European Tour helped make these players their fortunes and they wouldn't be where they are today if the Tour hadn't provided a suitably lucrative schedule for them to play on. And what do they do in return... head off in search of yet more money rather than paying their dues!

I suggest that a reality check is required here. Human nature says that people in their professional life (whatever that profession is) will do what is necessary to advance their own position/wealth.

Just my $0.02, as usual

rgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My understanding of the situation is that the Westwood and Els signed their contract with Singapore well before the dates for the Volvo masters were announced. Els apparently has a three year contract-this is the second year. Westwood has claimed that the date for the volvo masters has changed since last season. Last seasons event was played from 26-29 October-this year the event is a week later.

I have sympathy with Els & Westwood.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
Guys .......... I don't think either Els or Westwood are loosing sleep over this occurance. Do you really think they will be beating themselves up about it.

My arse.

If they were away on a charity event and missing the chance for the order of merit I would feel sorry for them but they earn more in a single hole than I get in a YEAR !!!!!!!!

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think if Colin spent as much time on his putting as he does moaning he would have less to be bitter about.

Oh, I say, well said!!! :D :eek:

I'm a huge Monty fan and have even modelled my physique on this GOD of euro-golf-dom.

Dave (been down the boozer) :p

stevelockie

Head Pro
Visit site
Els and Westwood won't be losing any sleep over it, there is no doubt about that.

Els has positioned himself as a "global" player, not limiting himself to any particluar tour, which is to his credit. He doesn't have a huge allegiance to European Tour and I don't think this issue is down to his and Westwood's Management Company.

The Euro tour should have moved the dates to make sure the best field would be available for their big finale!

furyk_or_unique

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I can't believe I stand alone on this one - maybe it's a sign of our times!

The Euro tour should have moved the dates to make sure the best field would be available for their big finale!

Steve - I will assume the above was meant to be a joke? And I would bet a considerable amount of money that Els and Westwood's management did have a considerable amount to do with this!

Madandra - I'm not sure anyone's suggesting that anyone should feel sorry for Els and Westwood - just in my opinion, that these two stars of the European Tour should do what is right, which in this case would be to make sure their diary is clear enough to accommodate one of the most important events on the European Tour even if the exact week has moved back or forward one slot... it's been the last event of the season for years now so it's not as though they might not have seen it coming!

stevelockie

Head Pro
Visit site
I didn't mean the Euro tour moving this year's comp just to accomodate Els and Westwood, but surely when planning a schedule, someone should be looking at worldwide tournaments, seeing what's on, who could be playing where and trying to reach the solution that would optimise numbers of elite players, which in turn helps the sponsors and the tv money. Everyone is a winner!

Trueblue

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm with Furyk on this one I have to say - these players are running to the far-east for some extra cash that hey hardly need and not supporting the Tour's flagship event.

Els is in with a chance of winning the OoM and it shows a total lack of respect for that if he's not there.

Schedule-wise surely it's just too crowded and stevelockie I don't think there is ever a free date on the calendar anymore!

Marko77

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I think it's terrible they are missing. If a player has earned enough to merit being there then they should be there, sick notes excluded. If a player is missing then the next ranked player is invited not past winners who are nearing the end of their career on the main tour.

On a side note I'm not a fan of how the OoM is decided. Rather like the Fedex Cup I would like to see a points based system rather than money earned. This would maybe encourage the top players out in the Euro tour more often rather than just when there is a big cheque on offer.

Marko77

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Just out of interest, I wonder what Els/Westwoods appearance fee's are for going to Singapore in relation to the winners cheque.

I really like Ernie but feel this is a bad move from him.

happyhacker

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hate to say it, but both sides of argument are right here! Fence sitting or what?

Els and Westwood have the right to play anywhere/ anytime they want and I think they are right to complete their contractual obligations.

However there is no doubt the OoM is devalued by their non appearance.

However the European Tour set their dates knowing which players were obligated to play elsewhere and when. And if they felt it was ok to schedule a tournament when possible contenders would not be able to compete then I think they also have to look at themselves.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Marko, hopefully not the FedEx as it was this year! That was a good example of how not to run a competition.

Use the OoM to qualify for a FedEx knock-out play-off series but all start level. That way the Tigers, Harringtons, Michelsons and the rest can't drop out of rounds knowing that they will still qualify for the final pay-off round.

Draw back of this though, is that there are more matches to fit into competing schedules.

Marko77

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
not quite viscount, your right. The way the Fedex was decided this year was not good. Come the final weeks only 3/4 players had a realistic chance of winning and yes, a couple missed a week where in a true competitive enviornment this would have been suicide.

I'm not 100% sure on this but I think the points were allocated on a weighted system so first place in one event would offer more points than first in another.

The format I'd like to see is that first is first no matter what event so its 1000 points (example) to first place whether it be the Open Championship or the Turkey Open - therefore if the so called top players decide on cutting back their schedule they are damaging their chances of winning the main season long prize. The OoM should be rewarding the consistent player over the season not just the players that play well in 8 top events.

Harrington is up there - how close would he really be if he hadn't of won the Open?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have to agree with your comments Marko77. What chance is there is attracting a decent field to an event if the points allocation is already declaring it a waste of time. The almost inevitable outcome is that sponsors and the public will lose faith in such tournaments if they do not attract the prestige players and the media coverage that comes with them

P

pingpal

The following is a passage from the Telegraph online I read earlier re Monty's spat at Els/Westwood etc for playing Singapore rather than Volvo masters -

"Big mistake, Monty. It was not the Scot's finest moment when he accused Els of disrespect for the Order of Merit, or words to that effect. Els immediately blasted back and called Monty a narcissistic publicity junkie, or words to that effect. But the bottom line is that Monty wants to 'big up' the Order of Merit because he has eight of these titles, whereas Els knows that they are pretty worthless baubles."

Seems pretty accurate to me, Monty knows his record is based around order of merits when Major winners like Els know OOM's dont count for much really.