Moisture wicking polo shirts

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I guess the majority of us have gone down the route of the modern fabric, moisture wicking polo shirts. On holiday in southern Italy last week and this, and thought adding a mix of modern golf shirts to the usual mix of cotton polo and T-shirts would be the wise thing to do.

Rubbish, absolute rubbish!

Sweated like a Turkish wrestler's jock strap, and have bought a bucket load of cotton shirts.

So, Ping, Callaway, Adidas, GG and Nike your products have failed miserably.

Have we been duped by yet more marketing hype?

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Is wearing golf shirts as a leisure item on holiday as chavvy as wearing football shirts as a leisure item on holiday? The next step will be plus fours on the beach... ;)

Not entirely sure what a moisture wicking shirt is supposed to do, I imagine if it is hot and anyone sweats like a fat lad then it doesn't matter what on earth you are wearing, you'll still feel clammy. So in answer to your question, probably yes. But it's so out of character for golf manufacturers to make outlandish claims in order to sell you something new that in reality is virtually no better or different from what's already out there.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Perhaps but at least you don't need to iron them :thup:

The best shirt I have ever had in a hot and humid place was a linen one. Genius. Try it.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Agree with the non iron bit. That and the fact that they hold their colour better than cotton ones is why I buy them. At my size nothing is going to stop me sweating on a warm day.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Tried the standard cotton polos when I first played here, never again

Adidas & Nike are the best I've found, they're never going to mop up all the sweat on a really hot day but do a grand job when its under 30° and keep me cooler & much more comfortable than the cotton alternative

SAPCOR1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Has fabric softener been used in the wash cycle? This will block the pores of the shirts and they won't be able to wick the moisture. They will also take longer to dry afterwards.

Personally I wouldn't wear anything else in hot and humid conditions and find them far better than cotton and poly cotton blends.

I would imagine though that they will have a saturation point especially if you are really sweating buckets. Just look at football matches when it's hot and you can see the dark shirts are soaking

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'm not sure I buy in to these moisture wicking systems. I never consciously buy a shirt for this, and solely based on colour and design. Can't say I've ever noticed anything different wearing them

SAPCOR1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm not sure I buy in to these moisture wicking systems. I never consciously buy a shirt for this, and solely based on colour and design. Can't say I've ever noticed anything different wearing them

They certainly do work and you would notice a huge difference in high intensity activity compared to cotton

I know golf doesn't fall into that category but they do work on warmer days and if you are layering in colder days

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
I love the feel of cotton and was very sceptical about the new fabrics especially as a child of the 60's with bad memories of nylon shirts.

Well I'm now a convert and when it is hot and muggy I think they are great.

However when the temp drops a bit I still prefer a good old cotton pique polo.

mashleyR7

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Most certainly golf tshirts with wicking are much better than a regular cotton polo shirt. On a hot day I would not wear a cotton polo, it would get wet and heavy. A proper wicking or technical material or some sort is 1000% better imho. Same I wouldn't play football in a cottom tshirt for the same reason, or wear one in the gym!