Mobile Phone Coverage

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Should we buy it more like landline services, gas or leccy?

We just get the best possible signal and let the companies sort the rest out in the background?

How would this affect speed? Coverage? Reliability?

Allow mobile phone network roaming in UK, urge MPs

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37808943

What do you think?

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Makes sense. The system of linking on to the strongest signal works for overseas visitors so why not domestic consumers. I live in a decent sized market town and can't get a signal in my house. Daft and poor.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
The companies must be forced into accepting roaming. With all the technology available to them, it should be no problem to devise a system which will fairly share between companies the base costs of running networks and building new masts. After a lot of resistance, the banks came to reasonable agreement on the sharing of the costs of installing and maintaining ATMs.

D

Deleted member 15344

They won't allow roaming across each other's network - far too many obstacles

Right now though the focus is on wifi calling and using small cells within built up areas to start using wifi data instead of 4G

EE already support wifi calling and I use that at home and any area where I connect to wifi

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
It would cost a fair bit to offer full domestic roaming. I looked into it.
I personally think they should because then they could compete for other reasons. I don't expect EE would see it that way. The rest might...

Mostly, mobile companies are not my cup of tea. I mean, they fined Vodafone the same as you or me (equivalent cost vs salary) having to pay £180 for doing a naughty.

I asked how much to use my EE phone abroad. The price was insane...
I asked them to do me a deal, which they refused, so when I travel anywhere I use a local sim.

I even use a different network for the internet away from home. Most mobile operators offer better deals to people not on contracts for out-of-contract data bundles. That's how they work.

It'll probably arrive one day.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Surprised you found eE expensive for travel, I switched from o2 to EE for that reason and as paying £150 a month less these days. O2 are horrendously expensive for international, opt in to EE travel (for free) and its 15ppm to mobiles across Europe and US.

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
As each network has invested in their own masts and infrastructure it's hardly surprising they don't want to share it to everyone. European roaming was also generally done based on networks of operators with agreements between one another for roaming.