Mo Farah / Allan Wells

U

User62651

Both getting some bad PR re rumours of doping.

Mo's coach is being associated with doping, as is Mo's colleague and Olympic silver medallist Rupp - do you think Mo has been enhanced synthetically in any way and should he bin off Salazar (coach) given the 'mud sticks' thing and reputations being everything re marketability/£££.

Re Wells it's 30 yrs+ since his running days but other competitors of the day say he was on the juice, never heard that rumour before - what do people think - he wasn't quick by todays standards but did everyone dope back then and why would it take so long for people to make these allegations, why not at the time?

Like cycling, athletics is sullied as a sport due to doping/claims of doping. Womens world records cannot be touched due to 80's stars like Flojo/Koch/Kratcochvilova etc basically being men through use of drugs...allegedly!

Sad state of affairs really and I hope Mo's reputation doesn't suffer, like Linford Christie's.

Last edited by a moderator:

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Put it this way it wont do his reputation any good.

Even if he has not it will be hard for some to believe.
I hope its not the case he seems to have just worked really hard,changing coach and joining the Kenyans
training camps.

It is sickening to watch people like Gatlin now[who must be clean] due to the fact he was a cheat and will be tested regulary,making millions of dollars.
Even Steve Cram who commentates seems to bring it up evertime.

DCB

Visit site
Watched the programme last night and wasn't convinced that there was enough hard fact to say it was a done deal. Too much rumour and hear say, in effect making someone (the Dr) who died a good while back the scapegoat for the whole scandal. Add to that the words of one of Wells bitter rivals and it just didn't do enough to make me believe it.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't want any of it to be true, especially Wells. He won when we rarely won any Olympic medals and I still remember the excitement.

So far with Farah they are making clear he is not involved but people have made comments about the coach/training set up before and mud does stick. He will get branded by association, no matter how unfair that is. I would hope his management team are arranging for an alternative coaching team for him.

I don't watch much athletics now, I don't know who to trust. Who is clean, who is not. Takes all the fun out if it.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
Fact of the matter is that we'll, in most cases, never really know the full extent of drug use in sport...

Film out, later in the year, [Directed by Stephen Frears] about journalists campaign to expose Lance Armstrong as a drug cheat...

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Drug technology has, unfortunately, become a race against detection, its very hard for a totally 'clean' sports person to be competitive and so if an enhancement can be gained (stag horns excepted, of course!!!) without a risk few coaches will be above using them.

C

c1973

Feel sorry for Mo. He's done nothing wrong, been accused of nothing, no indications at all that he's cheated and yet his name is plastered everywhere in connection with this, potentially costing him.....what....hundreds of thousands? If sponsors look elsewhere.

Typical, lazy journalism. Only after the salacious, gossip driven, red top headline grabber, rather than actual accurate reporting.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
The program made no allegation about Mo but did say that Wells almost certainly took drugs as he bulked up so quickly. They did say that there wasn't proof and no one can be certain he did. Salazar seems to be using drugs with some of his athletes but the best thing Mo could do IMO is to move away from that camp

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Think Farah is doing the right thing and keeping his mouth shut and out of the firing line. He doesn't need or want to be tainted by association. I thought there were rumours about Wells many years ago not long after he retired that he denied at the time and were never proven. Did the programme claim to have "new" evidence or is it a rehash

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Think Farah is doing the right thing and keeping his mouth shut and out of the firing line. He doesn't need or want to be tainted by association. I thought there were rumours about Wells many years ago not long after he retired that he denied at the time and were never proven. Did the programme claim to have "new" evidence or is it a rehash

Farah gave a live press conference today.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Without trying to take much away from his win, there was a significant US led boycott involved!

You can only beat those in front of you. Not his fault that a cold war was going on. To be fair to him as well I am pretty sure he beat the leading Americans either just before or just after the Olympics. I remember that being raised in a look back programme a few years ago.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Foe me Mo is starting to look too glitzy these days. No longer the man that made it as a icon for the boy in the street.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Very unprofessional to drop out yesterday. People would have bought tickets because he was going to race. Smile, wave, run, smile, wave, go home. Disappointing.