Minimum facilities for a gym

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Don't I know it. My wife does powerlifting and the set up with weight plates (even bumpers are damned expensive) dumbells up to 30kg, the cage, a quality bench, and then an olympic standard bar cost a chunk of cash (when any was actually in stock) . Now it is all in it is great and we built it up over a year whilst she maintained her membership. In the long run it was worth it as she can get her sessions done at her own pace without sitting waiting for a squat rack or cage to come free or being pressured by the next person wanting to start their set

Then factor in someone just sat on a machine/bench while checking their insta... That is one of the big downsides!! people. But i go at weird times so its always dead!!

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Back on the orignal point. I guess what you are saying, and there is potentially a strong argument for this, is that the gym owner is not providing the facilities that you feel that you have paid for. So, what options do you have, well 2 really. First is you talk to the manager and ask if they will kindly refund your memebership on that basis. Other option is that you put in a small claim through the court to try and secure the return of your annual fee. You will pay your court fee, you will need to take a day off to attend the hearing and there is little compensation for that time off. If you win, you may get the membership fee back in full plus your court fee, or you may only get a percentage based on the value of the facilities that you have lost. Bear in mind as well that if you continue to use the gym, this could impact on your claim that these issues have impacted on your ability to work out properly etc. You should also check the contract to see if there is, in fact, any obligation on the part of the gym to provide any of these things. Oh, and this will take a very long time to be heard at court.

My thoughts, unless you are paying a really large amount for this gym membership, suck it up, ride it out for the year then quit. The hassle is pretty big for the return you will get.
Thanks GB. Surprising how many threads go off at a tangent and appreciate your comments. This is not just this thread but the majority.

This morning I went to ask for a refund as my health has not been too good. They are part of a large Group. They checked and said I had not paid since October 2021 and had no record. This probably sums up the whole gym. Ironically I had one Barclaycard statement missing online and it took me 1:hour to get through to Barclaycard to eventually be told I had paid for 1 year in October 2022 so up to date.

Went back to Co. but they wanted to see evidence. Hopefully Barclaycard will provide the necessary statements and I will move forward.

Thanks once again for your comments.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I used to be a member member of the local leisure centre. It was £27 a month, always crowded and a lot of the equipment was broken. JD opened round the corner, gym is about 10 times the size, well maintained and easy to get on whatever equipment you want. £20 a month. Only thing that is missing is a pool, but I never used that at the council place, so a no brainer for me.

Given the high running costs, particularly when heating a pool, and the amount of competition, I can see a lot of council owned leisure centres closing in the near future.
I know this is at a tangent to the original post but it relates to this post and I thought it was interesting.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-64939558

Very clever.