Minimum facilities for a gym

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I am a member of a larger gym Group. When COVID arrived they moved nearby, around 400 metres away and utilised 2 indoor tennis courts and have not returned.

There is no locker facility, changing facility, drinking water. It is extremely cold, around 5 degrees colder than outside in winter. There are some facilities where it was housed before around 400 metres away and some changing facilities for ‘children’ around 100 metres away.

Are there any minimum requirements? I cannot find anything on Google and have probably had enough.

Any help,would be appreciated.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
What do you mean by minimum requirements? Minimum legal requirements or the minimum we would be prepared to accept?

If it’s the former I very much doubt there are any. If the latter, surely that’s a matter or personal choice.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
There are a couple of gyms on our industrial estate. They are basic shells with gym equipment in. No heating, no changing facilities. There is a toilet and sink.

This is becoming more commonplace I believe, keypad entry, one has 24hr access.

This all suggests there are no minimum requirements.

Ultimately, it is up to you, the consumer, whether the facilities available justify your fees.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
What do you mean by minimum requirements? Minimum legal requirements or the minimum we would be prepared to accept?

If it’s the former I very much doubt there are any. If the latter, surely that’s a matter or personal choice.
I mean should there be running/drinking water, lockers, toilets, changing facilities. What is on offer now is considerably worse that what was around initially with showers, loos, water fountain, changing facilities.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I mean should there be running/drinking water, lockers, toilets, changing facilities. What is on offer now is considerably worse that what was around initially with showers, loos, water fountain, changing facilities.
if you’re not happy,join another gym.
What are you actually wanting from this thread?

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I have paid annually and want the option for a refund. There is not an option to join another gym nearby.
Have you spoke to the manager of the gym about it?
Explain you’re not happy & would like a refund as it’s not what you signed up for.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
When what is being offered (gym or any other service) is clearly being done cheaply on a take-it-or-leave-it basis, then my decision is usually very easily made.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Going off at a tangent I’ve often wondered why people join a gym. Yes the tailor made facility isn’t cheap to replicate at home but does someone need all that kit? What does it cost for a set of weights that are compatible to an individual’s lifting ability? How much for a half decent road bike?

What‘s wrong with a park run, or just going for a run? How much room is needed for a set of weights?

And how much does it cost for an annual gym membership to a decent gym with decent equipment?

My boys are into the fitness bug. 10km runs, half marathons, tough mudders, coast-2-coast bike rides, open water swimming, weights at home. Not a gym in sight.

Each to their own, and if the gym does it for some people, great. I’ve just never seen the need.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Going off at a tangent I’ve often wondered why people join a gym. Yes the tailor made facility isn’t cheap to replicate at home but does someone need all that kit? What does it cost for a set of weights that are compatible to an individual’s lifting ability? How much for a half decent road bike?

What‘s wrong with a park run, or just going for a run? How much room is needed for a set of weights?

And how much does it cost for an annual gym membership to a decent gym with decent equipment?

My boys are into the fitness bug. 10km runs, half marathons, tough mudders, coast-2-coast bike rides, open water swimming, weights at home. Not a gym in sight.

Each to their own, and if the gym does it for some people, great. I’ve just never seen the need.

I use the gym a lot in the winter, less so in the summer. If the weather is horrible, I'd rather be exercising somewhere warm, followed by the sauna and a shower rather than freezing my nuts off or getting soaked outdoors.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

My wife joined a basic gym about a year ago, an industrial estate job, upgraded to one within the local leisure centre about 3 months ago. In between visits she does 5k runs a couple of times a week, she goes swimmingin the pool.

The gym offers a range of equipment we could never hope to have at home, or want to have at home. She goes on a rowing machine, bike, treadmill as well as various weight machines. All without freezing on a river, getting mown down by a car etc

It offers it in a pleasant environment, warm and light, in the long winter months, no interference from the weather. It also gives a focal point to do your exercise in. If you go you tend to do your routine. If you are at home it's too easy to find a reason to cut it short.

It's not for me but I can see why gyms work for so many.

Swango1980

Visit site
A gym has loads of equipment, so gives flexibility in what exercise you do. I think it also helps motivate. If I am at home, I'll probably half heartedly exercise, if at all, before being distracted to do something else. In a gym, you are there to exercise, end of.

Some will go to gym classes as well, which can be great. High impact running, like parkrun, isn't for everyone.

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Lots of hanger type gyms round here. Normally reflected in the price. Essentially just a big internal space with gym equipment in with access to toilets. I prefer nicer amenities to suit my needs including a pool, sauna and shower and they would be my minimum expectations (access to drinking water should be a given).

Covid started around 3 years ago. When did the gym move? It’s a bit of a different situation now. At the time they may have moved just to enable the business continue - even with worse facilities. If you’ve renewed since then (you say you’ve paid an annual subscription) and not questioned anything you may be struggling to have a strong case for a refund.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
My wife joined a basic gym about a year ago, an industrial estate job, upgraded to one within the local leisure centre about 3 months ago. In between visits she does 5k runs a couple of times a week, she goes swimmingin the pool.

The gym offers a range of equipment we could never hope to have at home, or want to have at home. She goes on a rowing machine, bike, treadmill as well as various weight machines. All without freezing on a river, getting mown down by a car etc

It offers it in a pleasant environment, warm and light, in the long winter months, no interference from the weather. It also gives a focal point to do your exercise in. If you go you tend to do your routine. If you are at home it's too easy to find a reason to cut it short.

It's not for me but I can see why gyms work for so many.

I used to be a member member of the local leisure centre. It was £27 a month, always crowded and a lot of the equipment was broken. JD opened round the corner, gym is about 10 times the size, well maintained and easy to get on whatever equipment you want. £20 a month. Only thing that is missing is a pool, but I never used that at the council place, so a no brainer for me.

Given the high running costs, particularly when heating a pool, and the amount of competition, I can see a lot of council owned leisure centres closing in the near future.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I used to be a member member of the local leisure centre. It was £27 a month, always crowded and a lot of the equipment was broken. JD opened round the corner, gym is about 10 times the size, well maintained and easy to get on whatever equipment you want. £20 a month. Only thing that is missing is a pool, but I never used that at the council place, so a no brainer for me.

Given the high running costs, particularly when heating a pool, and the amount of competition, I can see a lot of council owned leisure centres closing in the near future.
Ashington leisure centre is pretty new, had a huge amount spent on it, deprived area etc, and isn't going anywhere. There is a brand new centre being built in morpeth now, opening at the end of the month. Old ones may close but neither of those will. Pools are big aspects of both of them. They have turned the water temperature down by a degree I believe in order to save costs but I can't believe they will close those pools.

My wife has to book in to use any of the facilities, including the pool. She can see when it is busy, when quiet, and goes accordingly.

There is no sexy private gym nearby so ultimately it is leisure centre or industrial estate as your options. The leisure centre is pretty impressive to be fair. You are just spoilt though 😄

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Ashington leisure centre is pretty new, had a huge amount spent on it, deprived area etc, and isn't going anywhere. There is a brand new centre being built in morpeth now, opening at the end of the month. Old ones may close but neither of those will. Pools are big aspects of both of them. They have turned the water temperature down by a degree I believe in order to save costs but I can't believe they will close those pools.

My wife has to book in to use any of the facilities, including the pool. She can see when it is busy, when quiet, and goes accordingly.

There is no sexy private gym nearby so ultimately it is leisure centre or industrial estate as your options. The leisure centre is pretty impressive to be fair. You are just spoilt though 😄

JD have now got 3 absolutely massive gyms within a couple of miles radius of me. I don't really get that business model, but I guess they know what they are doing. There are also loads of others ranging from the very basic to the luxurious as well as 5 Council owned leisure centres in my area.

Mandofred

Visit site
I've had a treadmill at home for 30+ years....and a couple of dumbbells. I've been fighting Piriformis in my butt/leg for about 6 months now.....at the end of November it got so bad I couldn't walk for exercise and I was limping around on the golf course. Joined the gym, started working harder and more varied......a little more regular stretching as well...and I thought I had it licked. This morning after lifting I usually do 30+ min of cardio.....it's been on the treadmill lately. I tried to run a little after 5-6 min and BANG...the Piriformis zapped me good. I just switched over to the eliptical and the Octane machines and got the workout in without pain. That running/fast walking movement really irritates the leg. I'm getting old

The gym I joined is stupidly expensive, and I have upgraded to the high level a month ago hoping to play some tennis (4 indoor courts, 3 outdoor). They have a pool/hot tub/sauna as well......a number of exercise classes which I don't do. I go early so I don't have to fight the barbarian hordes. What I don't get is the people who come in and don't do much of anything. My shirt is soaked by the end of the cardio......and there are 2 regular guys who get on the elipticals about the same time......I haven't seen any sweat yet. Better than no exercise at all I guess.

The Hydro (council run) very nearby this gym has spent the last year updating everything from pool to building extensions for weights/cardio etc. They will be a fair bit cheaper when they open so I wonder how many in my current gym will switch over.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site

Your boys need to add proper S&C in their training or they will get injured, not if, but when. Strength and conditioning is essential if you want to be a runner, cyclist, tough mudder etc etc etc...

Just a set of weights flexible enough for me would be about 500 quid. and then, that would be me doing 80kg back squats with no safety of a cage, then the bench, the dumbells, kettle bell, rower if i fancy it, then the plethora of machines that really promote good form for chest flys, lat pull downs (in fact any cable machine) adducter and abducter machines are a good one for me, leg curls, leg press. Oh then where do i store them?

Oh and i already run 5 days a week, cycle twice a week and swim when i can. So i already go for a parkrun or 2, in fact, i am running around 50/60 miles per week at the minute and thats increasing while i train for an ultra marathon, i think i ran 3 half marathons this week gone.... Weights and gym stuff are essential in me staying fit (ie not injured!)

A decent gym can be had for 25 quid a month, i'm in one of those 24 hour ones and it's great.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Back on the orignal point. I guess what you are saying, and there is potentially a strong argument for this, is that the gym owner is not providing the facilities that you feel that you have paid for. So, what options do you have, well 2 really. First is you talk to the manager and ask if they will kindly refund your memebership on that basis. Other option is that you put in a small claim through the court to try and secure the return of your annual fee. You will pay your court fee, you will need to take a day off to attend the hearing and there is little compensation for that time off. If you win, you may get the membership fee back in full plus your court fee, or you may only get a percentage based on the value of the facilities that you have lost. Bear in mind as well that if you continue to use the gym, this could impact on your claim that these issues have impacted on your ability to work out properly etc. You should also check the contract to see if there is, in fact, any obligation on the part of the gym to provide any of these things. Oh, and this will take a very long time to be heard at court.

My thoughts, unless you are paying a really large amount for this gym membership, suck it up, ride it out for the year then quit. The hassle is pretty big for the return you will get.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Your boys need to add proper S&C in their training or they will get injured, not if, but when. Strength and conditioning is essential if you want to be a runner, cyclist, tough mudder etc etc etc...

Just a set of weights flexible enough for me would be about 500 quid. and then, that would be me doing 80kg back squats with no safety of a cage, then the bench, the dumbells, kettle bell, rower if i fancy it, then the plethora of machines that really promote good form for chest flys, lat pull downs (in fact any cable machine) adducter and abducter machines are a good one for me, leg curls, leg press. Oh then where do i store them?

Oh and i already run 5 days a week, cycle twice a week and swim when i can. So i already go for a parkrun or 2, in fact, i am running around 50/60 miles per week at the minute and thats increasing while i train for an ultra marathon, i think i ran 3 half marathons this week gone.... Weights and gym stuff are essential in me staying fit (ie not injured!)

A decent gym can be had for 25 quid a month, i'm in one of those 24 hour ones and it's great.

Don't I know it. My wife does powerlifting and the set up with weight plates (even bumpers are damned expensive) dumbells up to 30kg, the cage, a quality bench, and then an olympic standard bar cost a chunk of cash (when any was actually in stock) . Now it is all in it is great and we built it up over a year whilst she maintained her membership. In the long run it was worth it as she can get her sessions done at her own pace without sitting waiting for a squat rack or cage to come free or being pressured by the next person wanting to start their set