Mindset Coaching For Golf

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Great idea Homer! Thank you.
If anyone is interested in a couple of sessions (for free) then please let me know. I'm based in the Kent/Surrey/South London area so the closer the better. I'm happy to travel within an hour or so.
Not too far away in Berkshire so definitely interested. Just dropping you a private message

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
My personal thoughts are that unless you are a very good amateur golfer mindset doesn't play a great part

I can't disagree with this enough - every person could benefit from this. Every single person that has played golf has had first tee nerves and fluffed the ball, has had that putt to win the match and missed, has sworn at themselves, thrown a club (or just banged it on the floor).

I've been so much more focussed on the mental aspect of my game in the last year or so and it's mad a huge difference, whether it's putting bad shots behind me, ignoring my playing partners jibes or just being able to focus my attention on what I'm doing.

Just my opinion.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Evening all...I'm hoping for some opinions from you knowledgeable people....

So my day job is that I'm an Executive Coach, Hypnotherapist and Neuro Linguistic Programming Practitioner. I typically work with Businesses and individuals to change/improve, amongst other things, mindsets and thought processes. Recently I started working with a young lad at my home club who has just turned pro to help with his mindset when playing competitive golf and the feedback has been really positive. I'm a 7 handicapper so a long way from being a pro myself.

Do you think that there is a market for Mindset Training in the amateur game or are people satisfied with just booking a lesson with their local club pro? Any opinions valued.

I think this an interesting subject and I think it would benefit a lot of amateur golfers.

The problem with any kind of golf coaching or lessons is that the vast majority of golfers get to a certain level and stop really trying to improve or get much better. They are happy to be a 14 / 15 / 16 handicapper - whatever they are and realise that by improving and getting down to 9 or 10 the game becomes a struggle as they have to be at their very best to be competitive.

But for those who are keen to learn I think you could get some business.

Maybe the best plan would be to train existing golf coaches into building some mindset / positivity training into their sessions. As possibly most people would be underwhelmed about having a non-practical session for anything golf related.

Albeit this may only be the perception, but perception can often be more important than reality.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
For club level golfers, I think that improving the mental approach to golf is less about lowering scores (though that may be a helpful bi-product) and more about enjoyng the game more and being a better playing partner.
I've generally become less frustrated and more accepting of golf over the years and it has definitely led to more fun and relaxation on the course.

D

Deleted member 21258

If you can talk yourself out of a shot or someone else can talk you out of a shot (whether on purpose or not) then mental approach needs improving.

How big the market is for such help and how many people will pay & commit time to, is very small I would have thought. Probably only the much better player level.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
In my view there are 3 distinct areas to success in golf, or more accurately, to meeting your potential.

1. Physical Capability and competence - in this box lies all the physical training and learning associated with playing the game. Everything from diet to flexibility, warm up to wedge play, driving putting etc etc.
2. The mental game - being able to bring the best of yourself from item 1 into every situation you face.
3. Course management - making the right stroke decision in terms of aims and objectives for each stroke you plan to play.

When you make the right stroke decision, have the skills and fitness to play it consistently and the mental power to bring those skills to bear everytime....you are playing to the best of your ability.

Knowing that brings huge enjoyment 😎

19th hole

Medal Winner
Visit site
In my view there are 3 distinct areas to success in golf, or more accurately, to meeting your potential.

1. Physical Capability and competence - in this box lies all the physical training and learning associated with playing the game. Everything from diet to flexibility, warm up to wedge play, driving putting etc etc.
2. The mental game - being able to bring the best of yourself from item 1 into every situation you face.
3. Course management - making the right stroke decision in terms of aims and objectives for each stroke you plan to play.

When you make the right stroke decision, have the skills and fitness to play it consistently and the mental power to bring those skills to bear everytime....you are playing to the best of your ability.

Knowing that brings huge enjoyment 😎
Completely agree with that.

Walshie

Visit site
I would be interested to know a bit more about this, do you mind if I send you a private message. If you do end up doing some sort of group session I would love to be a part of it.

19th hole

Medal Winner
Visit site
I would be interested to know a bit more about this, do you mind if I send you a private message. If you do end up doing some sort of group session I would love to be a part of it.
Yes of course, send me a message.
I will do another post and see if we can get a few people together and run a workshop/group session for an hour or 2. We could probably use my home club so there wouldn't be any cost to anyone. What do you think?

Hackers76

Visit site
I think this is a great idea in the form of a group seminar / session but as a few have mentioned I think individual lessons would likely be just for the top level amateur.
I think approaching clubs and asking them to arrange an evening for the members would be the way to go.

19th hole

Medal Winner
Visit site
I think this is a great idea in the form of a group seminar / session but as a few have mentioned I think individual lessons would likely be just for the top level amateur.
I think approaching clubs and asking them to arrange an evening for the members would be the way to go.
Would you be interested in a group session for forum members?

Walshie

Visit site
Yes of course, send me a message.
I will do another post and see if we can get a few people together and run a workshop/group session for an hour or 2. We could probably use my home club so there wouldn't be any cost to anyone. What do you think?
Message Sent. Thanks