Mentmore Golf Club - Abandoned Pictures

Jack991

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If the permission hasn't come through yet, what chance does he think he'll have going forward? Has the owner resubmitted plans again, or planning to do so?

Very limited, the owner is currently bankrupt and hasn't been seen for months. He originally tried to reopen as a corporate venue but this failed and since then the course has fallen into disrepair. My guess is it would cost too much to relay all 36 greens, revamp all the bunkers and sort the irrigation system for it to ever open again as a 36 hole venue. Not to mention the land is leased from a nearby farm so it is not very attractive to existing golf companies to acquire as the initial outlay would be too great :(

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Very limited, the owner is currently bankrupt and hasn't been seen for months. He originally tried to reopen as a corporate venue but this failed and since then the course has fallen into disrepair. My guess is it would cost too much to relay all 36 greens, revamp all the bunkers and sort the irrigation system for it to ever open again as a 36 hole venue. Not to mention the land is leased from a nearby farm so it is not very attractive to existing golf companies to acquire as the initial outlay would be too great :(
Not good. Is the owner officially bankrupt as that would clearly have implications? Would he look to offload and recoup some money that way and would there be anyone potentially willing to buy it especially given the cost and work required

Jack991

Assistant Pro
Visit site
From what I can tell he was 'declared' bankrupt back in 2010 having failed to pay back loans on his property empire. To complicate matters he also owns Mentmore Towers which is also mothballed and in disrepair, my guess is he is holding onto them both for as long as possible, clinging onto his wild idea of converting Mentmore Towers into a hotel and golf resort. All we can do is hope that he is ultimately forced to part ways with them.

You can get an idea of the man from the article below...

(https://www.standard.co.uk/news/cri...-to-keep-rape-conviction-secret-a3927106.html)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
From what I can tell he was 'declared' bankrupt back in 2010 having failed to pay back loans on his property empire. To complicate matters he also owns Mentmore Towers which is also mothballed and in disrepair, my guess is he is holding onto them both for as long as possible, clinging onto his wild idea of converting Mentmore Towers into a hotel and golf resort. All we can do is hope that he is ultimately forced to part ways with them.

(https://www.standard.co.uk/news/cri...-to-keep-rape-conviction-secret-a3927106.html)
Great believer in karma and clearly what has gone around is coming around and he's deservedly struggling. As you say, I guess it's all a waiting game now and then seeing what the future holds

D

Deleted member 15344

A lot of people were affected by the issue , members who paid fees , including a couple who paid in the week before it closed , people who paid deposits and full fee for weddings and corporate days - a lot with money lost and a good number that joined our place. It made a lot of people speechless that the club went back to the previous owners because of a lot of history financially especially when another golf group was reported to have bid for it as well as a members bid

The land is leased to about £200k a year so that money still gets paid but apparently the terms of the lease where to have two playable golf courses plus a clubhouse but that’s not happening so who knows what’s going to happen

The whole place has so much potential for members , pay and stay and a hotel - it would have cost a bit to upgrade Towers but it was achievable and the courses had a lot of potential- it’s a shame what happened but the closing of the course gave a lot of clubs in the area an influx of members - we still have a lot who are now settled in but there are still a few who are moving around clubs to find one

Last edited by a moderator:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
...It made a lot of people speechless that the club went back to the previous owners because of a lot of history financially and criminally especially when another golf group was reported to have bid for it as well as a members bid...
Can you actually justify that? At least in relation to Mentmore! His French rape conviction is a matter of record. But that is irrelevant in terms of buying back the club.

If you can't, I'd suggest you be very careful about such speculation!

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I am not a lawyer, but the layman in me is thinking that if he's been declared bankrupt, then presumably he has creditors who would like to be paid (at least partly).
In which case, what are the courts doing allowing him to retain ownership of these assets?

Big Jim

Visit site

what happened to the Hippies?

didn't George Harrison give them mentmore ?

D

Deleted member 15344

I am not a lawyer, but the layman in me is thinking that if he's been declared bankrupt, then presumably he has creditors who would like to be paid (at least partly).
In which case, what are the courts doing allowing him to retain ownership of these assets?

I’m not sure if he himself is currently declared bankrupt? I believe the company that used to own Mentmore was put into admin and declared bankrupt

I believe he was declared Bankrupt back in 2010 ? But a new company was formed to take ownership of the club when he took control again.

So one company owner Mentmore - closed the club , went into admin and bankrupt

New company formed - was given the club from the administrators

Both companies owned by the same person

Last edited by a moderator:

Jack991

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’m not sure if he himself is currently declared bankrupt? I believe the company that used to own Mentmore was put into admin and declared bankrupt

I believe he was declared Bankrupt back in 2010 ? But a new company was formed to take ownership of the club when he took control again.

And in regards to a previous comment made by another poster about criminal - it’s in regards his rape conviction which is public record

Ah that would make sense sorry for not being clear! Regardless, the club is a complete mess and any chance of it being reopened under his ownership is next to nothing!

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
There's something seriously wrong with company and fiscal law when these kind of shenanigans are allowed to go on.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
A shame when you hear of the people losing money right up to the final closure and when you realise the potential of the place. It's a shame if company and fiscal law allow the previous owner to retain the place with a clear view to sell at a future date and recoup large amounts of the cash lost without a thought for previous customers and creditors

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Any chance I could use a couple of pictures on Golf's Missing Links? www.golfsmissinglinks.co.uk
not sure if this info is any use to you?

Torvean in Inverness is closing in July, well changing the name and moving to a new course across the road. First 4 holes have already been closed for the new canal swing bridge and roadto the western bypass. old layout going apart from the 16th and 18th