Mentmore Golf Club - Abandoned Pictures

Jack991

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi all,

Used to be a member at Mentmore Golf and Country Club up until it's unfortunate closure in 2015, went snooping up there the other day to see what state it was in. Sorry to say it is totally overgrown and completely abandoned, dashing any hopes I may have had of it coming back to life anytime soon! I even climbed up on top of the clubhouse to catch view down the old driveway!

Might be of interest for anyone who has ever played the course. Would be interested to hear from anyone who has heard any news about the place recently?

Cheers

News story on closure - https://www.bucksherald.co.uk/news/...s-as-business-becomes-unsustainable-1-6785291.

Images on OneDrive - https://1drv.ms/f/s!AhqXEtOC-ybvphzCR6iXQnmvkYuX

D

Deleted member 16999

Surely it’s not open for anyone to just drive in?

Very sad to see, played there 3 times.

Jack991

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Fingers crossed, would love to be able to play here again someday was such a shame when it closed down. However my guess is it would take at least a year for the course to back in a playable condition, the greens are totally wrecked :(

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 16999

There is a footpath access through the course, I just did a bit of extra snooping!
I saw a car in one of the photos and thought it was yours! Seems to be an awful lot of equipment just sitting there wasting away.
Hopefully it’ll get sorted and brought back to life.

Jack991

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've been told there is a security guard who stays at the property so it could well have been his! I hope one day it gets bought out because at the minute the only way it is going is down :(

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I saw a car in one of the photos and thought it was yours! Seems to be an awful lot of equipment just sitting there wasting away.
Hopefully it’ll get sorted and brought back to life.
I thought that. Surprised the buggies are still there. Plenty of range balls on offer too. Some nice views and a decent looking balcony on the clubhouse to watch players come in. That's some we need on ours.

D

Deleted member 18588

Only played it once but the whole setup was similar to so many other modern proprietary clubs.

Wreaked of being up is own backside and thinking that the course was something special.

It wasn't!

Still a shame for the staff and members who were affected by the closure.

D

Deleted member 1147

Hi all,

Used to be a member at Mentmore Golf and Country Club up until it's unfortunate closure in 2015, went snooping up there the other day to see what state it was in. Sorry to say it is totally overgrown and completely abandoned, dashing any hopes I may have had of it coming back to life anytime soon! I even climbed up on top of the clubhouse to catch view down the old driveway!

Might be of interest for anyone who has ever played the course. Would be interested to hear from anyone who has heard any news about the place recently?

Cheers

News story on closure - https://www.bucksherald.co.uk/news/...s-as-business-becomes-unsustainable-1-6785291.

Images on OneDrive - https://1drv.ms/f/s!AhqXEtOC-ybvphzCR6iXQnmvkYuX
What’s happened there?
Financial mismanagement?
Lack of members?
I take it it isn’t just a local authority course that’s been left to rot?!?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
What’s happened there?
Financial mismanagement?
Lack of members?
I take it it isn’t just a local authority course that’s been left to rot?!?

Short story upto a year or so ago:
Privately owned club, 2 courses. Wanted to build a hotel on site and couldnt get planning. Had a very large amount of people on upfront 5/10 year deals and a lot of life memberships, then started using groupon etc a lot Club went bust. Was some talk of financial misdoings but never proven I dont think. Members set up a group to buy the club, before they could act the club had been resold back to the previous owner by the administrator. Plan was still to build a hotel, still not been able to get permission and despite lots of rumours nothing seems to have changed since, still has a member of staff there keeping the courses cut if not in playable condition

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Joking aside, if I remember correctly it was already in dire straits when we played it.

yeah for sure, clubhouse needed a lick of paint and some new carpets, and the courses were in desperate need of more maintenance than they were getting, didnt come as a huge shock when it closed not long after sadly. shame that it has just been mothballed since whilst he tries to get permission to build a big hotel though

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
yeah for sure, clubhouse needed a lick of paint and some new carpets, and the courses were in desperate need of more maintenance than they were getting, didnt come as a huge shock when it closed not long after sadly. shame that it has just been mothballed since whilst he tries to get permission to build a big hotel though
If the permission hasn't come through yet, what chance does he think he'll have going forward? Has the owner resubmitted plans again, or planning to do so?

Big Jim

Visit site
I didn't even know there was a course there, i once did some work on Mentmore, but that was a load of Hippies jumping around on Trampolines.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If the permission hasn't come through yet, what chance does he think he'll have going forward? Has the owner resubmitted plans again, or planning to do so?

Not sure, im not local anymore so not heard anything of late. Im pretty sure it wont re-open as just a golf club with 2 courses again (albeit i think that was what he agreed to when buying it back!)