Medal card ruined.....almost

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’ve been scoring well lately, including my first ever sub 40 for 9, so teed it up for the Monthly Medal with confidence yesterday. Poor 3 wood which leaked badly right on the first, good recovery to greenside, chip and 2 putts for bogey. Par on the 2nd. Then to my nemesis the 3rd, so often previously a card wrecker for me, a fairly straightforward dog leg, but plenty of trouble around and requiring an accurate tee shot followed by a tight 2nd. Steady swing with 4 iron which ran out to 200 yards, a tad too long but just leaving a shot to the front edge of the green.

One of the guys in our fourball sliced his tee shot into a hazard, 18 inch long grass flanked by a lateral water hazard. We all had a good root around but couldn’t find his ball, waved the group behind through and continued looking. While they were playing through he starts saying he is going to scratch and go to the pub. Everyone agreed the ball had gone in the hazard so we offered him a drop. He declined, threw a ball onto the middle of the fairway and said he would NR. I missed the green left into long grass, dug it out into a bunker , chipped on and 2 putted for a 6.

We played the rest of the front 9 with him tooing and froing between saying he was going to swap cards and walk off after 9 and continue the full round so he could mark the card he was carrying. It completely wrecked my concentration, I knew it at the time but just couldn’t seem to focus and I shot 50 for the front 9. :mad:

He did walk off after 9 and I managed to get my head sorted and came back with 41, so yet another tale of what could have been :(

The guy knows my opinion on NR’s and I have previously explained that in a comp the card should still be submitted to count towards CSS. So I bit my tongue in an effort to maintain concentration.

Whinge over, there’s always next month :)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Can see how that would have done your head in. It would have been nice if he'd acted like a man and decided to play on regardless or just called it quits at half time without all this "why me" shenanigans. Of course the sensible option would have been to play a provisional to start with