Marshalling...

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
After an enjoyable couple of days spectating at Close House, I'm considering volunteering for marshalling duties when the European Seniors Tour comes to the Forest of Arden next month

Has anybody any experiences to share, was it worthwhile?

The first obvious downside is that it'll probably be a bit damp!

I've an idea which 'jobs' I'd prefer (eg to walk with a group) but are there any to avoid? (such as being stuck up a scoreboard *)

* despite it being the only way I'll ever make the top of a leaderboard 😅

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
After an enjoyable couple of days spectating at Close House, I'm considering volunteering for marshalling duties when the European Seniors Tour comes to the Forest of Arden next month

Has anybody any experiences to share, was it worthwhile?

The first obvious downside is that it'll probably be a bit damp!

I've an idea which 'jobs' I'd prefer (eg to walk with a group) but are there any to avoid? (such as being stuck up a scoreboard *)

* despite it being the only way I'll ever make the top of a leaderboard 😅
TXL is the man to tell you about marshalling.

I was a volunteer at the British Masters at Woburn and The Grove. Close House a bit to far to commute to.:eek: You take pot luck with what jobs you get, though they normally give you a scoreboard at least a couple of times. I was lucky to get a scoreboard six out of eight days. Also lucky to get groups including Westwood, Fitzpatrick, Hatton, Sullivan and Botham and Lamb in Pro Am.

Being inside the ropes,up close to the players is great. Fortunately not had to do car park duties.:eek:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I was given lead Marshall on the 2nd at the World Matchplay at the London Club. The organisation for that was appalling and I was running from my hole to others when they were woefully short of help

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’ve marshalled at events for the past 5-6 years now and my experience has always been positive. I could not do more than a couple a year though and normally it’s just the local ones.

Some people are into it in a very big way, travelling abroad with the tour and spending a whole week at a time at events.

My advice is to sign up and give it a go as it is an enjoyable exeperience. Take along one of those small back packs with the integrated seats ( you can spend a long time on your feet and you will want to give your feet a break every now and then) and fill it with food and drinks. They do provide food but it’s usually not enough for several hours on the course.

And of course a brolly, wet weather gear and comfortable shoes.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I spoke to a few marshals yesterday during quiet moments. Cracking blokes all happy to chat and give advice. One had come up from Bristol to do it. All were positive although one did comment about the lack of jumper given out. They didn't seem to move them around from hole to hole which was a shame for them but all the ones I spoke to were beaming even when it was belting it down. Going round with a group is probably the best job I suspect.

If I was retired I would volunteer like a shot, even if it was a once only job. What golfer wouldn't want to be inside the ropes at some stage?

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
I've marshalled twice 20 years ago - First time was The Open at St Andrews when John Daly won in 95, the following year I did the Scottish Open at Carnoustie. On both occasions I was pretty much given a hole to work on for most of the tournament 16th at St Andrews and 4th at Carnoustie - though I did get some variety.

Two of us marshalled a whole practice round with Tiger at Carnoustie weeks before he turned pro - his gallery going off the first was an old man, his grandson and a dog. He was absolutely sound and chatted to us a bit as we went round.

Also got to marshall the John Daly - Costantino Rocca four hole play off at The Open - incredible experience to watch that from inside the ropes.

I'm inside the ropes this week too - photographing the Dunhill Links all week, going to be a bit of a workout carrying a 400mm lens around the courses

D

Deleted member 16999

I've marshalled at Ryder Cups, The Open, German Opens and quite a few European Tour Events here in England, initially with little experience you can get jobs away from the golf, but you can also get some great jobs really close and involved with the players.

Some events you are well catered for both in clothing or feeding arrangements and some you have to make a financial contribution for what you receive.

I've thoroughlly enjoyed it (especially Medinah) It's not for everyone and some jobs are crap, can be long days and bad weather etc, but I would say for those interested to try it at least once.

Toad

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Was lucky enough to be a Marshall on the first hole at Gleneagles during the Ryder Cup.

Awesome experience and would recommend it.