Mar Hall

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Say pictures of it a few times and quite fancied playing it.

was on Sky last year in some Europro thing and TBH looked in poor condition and quite scruffy.

be interested in your opinion if you do play it though..... but make sure you play off the whites though , don't want you coming back saying its too short and boring off the reds;)

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Say pictures of it a few times and quite fancied playing it.

was on Sky last year in some Europro thing and TBH looked in poor condition and quite scruffy.

be interested in your opinion if you do play it though..... but make sure you play off the whites though , don't want you coming back saying its too short and boring off the reds;)

You don't half talk absolute pants.

Mar Hall drains very well FD. It's like Largs in that it's built on an ancient beach so it has free draining. The greens are also usually very good, a tad slow most of the year but true.

It is never "scruffy" far from it. The fairways are always well defined, greens likewise are well defined from the fridge and overall a very nice place to hit a ball. It does have a couple of silly holes but certainly well worth playing.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
You don't half talk absolute pants.

Mar Hall drains very well FD. It's like Largs in that it's built on an ancient beach so it has free draining. The greens are also usually very good, a tad slow most of the year but true.

It is never "scruffy" far from it. The fairways are always well defined, greens likewise are well defined from the fridge and overall a very nice place to hit a ball. It does have a couple of silly holes but certainly well worth playing.

How is it pants!! Tees 's looked in a state greens didn't look good.... on Tv for anyone to see

stirry

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hi Fairway Dodger,

I have friends that are members at Mar Hall and it holds the water really well , they played last weekend and there no issues it was relatively dry.

Its a decent course , try to go out in the morning if possible and it does get busy in the afternoon.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
I did play it this morning and was very impressed. Course was absolutely soaking with the recent rain and the morning dew but it wasn’t soft or muddy. Greens and fairways both very firm, greens true but very slow - I struggled to get the ball to the hole.

Layout is generally good, interesting holes with good bunkering and some impressive green complexes. Just let down by a couple of weaker holes that live up to the “resort” rather than “championship” status.

Patrick - it’s well worth a visit, if there’s a better course in this area I haven’t played it!

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I did play it this morning and was very impressed. Course was absolutely soaking with the recent rain and the morning dew but it wasn’t soft or muddy. Greens and fairways both very firm, greens true but very slow - I struggled to get the ball to the hole.

Layout is generally good, interesting holes with good bunkering and some impressive green complexes. Just let down by a couple of weaker holes that live up to the “resort” rather than “championship” status.

Patrick - it’s well worth a visit, if there’s a better course in this area I haven’t played it!

Good to hear. It's never been scruffy or poor, that's very unfair, especially if you haven't even played it.

FD, I did warn you about the greens, they are always bloody slow, loads of good grass on them as well which is frustrating, they shouldn't be that slow.

Considering how wet it's been it's good to hear it's still firm under foot. Bizarrely it seems to drain so much better than it's next door neighbour.

I'm not a huge fan of the 3rd, the dogleg with green under the Erskine bridge. I also think 16 & 18 are pretty poor but I do agree it's a very nice track and nice walk.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
I agree about those holes, I’m not a fan of doglegs approaching 90 degrees so unfortunate to have three. The third is ok but a tad unfair with a hidden bunker at the corner - I was oblivious to that, blasted it over the trees and was lucky to miss the bunker. 16 I think I’d like better second time round - I tried to draw it round the corner over the bunkers but laying up would be fine.

Plenty of strong holes to balance it out though, I really enjoyed it and couldn’t believe the firmness of the fairways, in the conditions, as I expected it to be just as soft as next door.

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ive played it once during a september. Its defo a resort kind of course. Really enjoyed it bunkers are MASSIVE im the distance. Wud reccomend it as an all day outing. If asked back its an aye fae me