Machrihanish 2013

T

thecraw

Friday 31st of May saw the beginning of the end of the Golf Monthly Machrihanish trip.

A 1230 tee time at the quirky but delightful links of Dunaverty Golf Club was once again the starting point of the weekend’s golf. A warm welcome and balls out of the hat saw Iain Grey make a mockery of his handicap where 42 stableford points later he rode out of the car park victor sporting a ten gallon hat!

001-1_zpsa2067c61.jpg

The hardy 15 at Dunaverty.

002-3_zpsd0b10275.jpg

JJF69 on the first tee at Dunaverty

003-3_zps97e1de0a.jpg

The Port Monkey in trouble at Dunaverty.

005-4_zpsd8884b9a.jpg

Valentino paddling in the river, 17th Dunaverty!

It was then a short drive round to the village of Machrihanish where once again the service and accommodation on offer were superb unless you got your knickers in a twist over beans! The cottages that we stayed in were absolutely fantastic and perfect for relaxing in after golf. Add in the pub next door and the views over Machrihanish golf course out to Jura and Islay and it really is a perfect setting.

Friday night was too nice to sit in the pub so a few of us took in 9 holes at the Dunes after diner.

008-3_zps8258c19d.jpg

Wishaw Hacker at the Dunes watched by Bigslice.

010-5_zps65e47c53.jpg

15th tee from the Dunes on the Dunes course. Stunning.

011-5_zps911b77b6.jpg

A view of the links land that even justone must appreciate!

The Saturday morning Texas Scramble saw Team France romp home as winners knocking Team Craw into 2nd place. Saturday afternoon saw a split in the ranks with a hardy 9 ball heading back out to battle the Dunes course again with the rest making for the pub for a few light refreshments. For Iaing it was a bottle of malt!

014-1_zps196269e6.jpg

Team craw - Fairwaydodger, Neil Rattray, Thecraw & Farneyman.

020-2_zps455cd5a5.jpg

Fabian trying to hold it together on the 8th. Machrihanish Village in the background.

021-3_zps7bb54274.jpg

Neil faints after Fabian found both the 8th & 9th fairways off the tee!!!

A fantastic Bangladeshi curry after the golf was just champion followed by a few beers or cups of tea for a certain forum member. Friendly banter and putting the world to rights was the topic of conversation before the combination of fresh air and golf took its toll and sent the gaggle of golfers to bed.

024-1_zpsd31f4353.jpg

Valentino escaping the bunker on the 2nd.

027-2_zps1660b619.jpg

Play golf or admire the view???

030_zps9750ee65.jpg

Scott1505

032_zps2722b863.jpg

Valentino hunting for David Bellamy or was it a Titleist Velocity????

Sunday morning saw us once again rise to a beautiful sunny day. After breakfast it was down to Machrihanish Dunes Golf course once again to do battle. Individual Stableford was the order of the day. A hasty re-draw was needed due to certain people partying too hard the night before in Campbeltown.

I think it was fair to say that the results showed those who were out on the sauce!

Neil Rattray was the winner with 39 stableford points which beat The Port Monkey into second place ahead of Fabians pal Willie Thorn who came home in 3rd place!!!!

016-2_zps56beb3b1.jpg

Many thanks to all who took part and have contributed to the success of this trip over the last few years. Also thanks to all who donated prizes, especially Valentino who provided me with a wonderful bottle of Highland Park Single Malt!

Monday saw Wishaw Hacker, Scott1505, Bigslice and myself head out onto the wonderful links of Machrihanish. A £5 sign on fee must be the best bargain anywhere in Britain. The course was simply awesome as was the weather. If anyone is thinking of playing Machrihanish do it as its in tip top condition just now.

038-1_zpsf001c343.jpg

God bless you all thecraw has now officially left the building.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Is Martin Wearing white leg warmers in that first Photo?

Great report and photo's.

Will be in touch soon Craw, my trip to Islay is just around the corner and will be stopping at Campbeltown airport, so might as well get a game;)

Lanark_Golfer

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Great report with great pictures. Was a brilliant weekend and one I would love to do again. Much thanks to thecraw for arranging it all and being a great host, the round at Machrihanish golf club was fantastic to round the weekend off. He also makes a mean cup of tea ;)

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
Great report with great pictures. Was a brilliant weekend and one I would love to do again. Much thanks to thecraw for arranging it all and being a great host, the round at Machrihanish golf club was fantastic to round the weekend off. He also makes a mean cup of tea or two or three or four or five ;)

fixed:p

Bomber69

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Well done Craw, looks like everyone enjoyed the trip and it was very well arranged.

Pictures look stunning but I just hope The Wishaw Hacker leaves them green trousers at home when he comes to my gaff next week.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Finally got my photies off my camera. Good looking through this for a reminder of a great weekend!

IMG_3469.jpgIMG_3470.jpgIMG_3471.jpgIMG_3472.jpgIMG_3473.jpgIMG_3475.jpgIMG_3477.jpgIMG_3478.jpgIMG_3480.jpgIMG_3481.jpgIMG_3483.jpgIMG_3484.jpgIMG_3485.jpgIMG_3486.jpgIMG_3489.jpgIMG_3490.jpg

Have seen sheep on a few courses but never cows.... Stampeding down the first at Dunaverty here!