Macclesfield Golf CLub

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Anyone got any thoughts on the club / course ? Is it in good nick in the Summer ?

Walked along the path that runs near it recently and it looks fairly short and hilly. Has some great views.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Anyone got any thoughts on the club / course ? Is it in good nick in the Summer ?

Walked along the path that runs near it recently and it looks fairly short and hilly. Has some great views.
I don't think he is a member there but I think this is Crazyface's neck of the woods. He may have played, know about it. Worth dropping him a pm if he doesn't pick up on this thread.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi. It's VERY hilly. You climb all the way up to the 7th tee (amazing views for piggin' miles on a clear day) then it;s down and up for the rest of the round. There have been quite a few changes of late. Some holes have been massively extended (17th and 10th and 16th all now tough holes) scrub shifted and course made a much better place to play (Jamie Donnaldson had a lot to do with this) and who turn up from time top time I believe (he started here). Nice bloke by all accounts. The head GK has moved on last year after improving the greens immensely I thought. I didn't get chance to play the place last year, but my mate says the greens are good, but another says not as good as before the last head GK was there. What lets the place down for me is that at least two par 4's driveable, for me, I'm about 240, three if the wind it in the right direction on the 7th. Honestly I've driven it! So to play them as say 5 iron and wedge is a bit rubbishy. The greens are it's main defence. When the GK are in a mood they putt the holes in places where if you miss the putt / chip towards them your ball can roll off the green and into a nightmare place. Bloke in the "pro shop" is a smashing bloke, even if he never remembers my name! All in all the place has improved massively over the last few years and is well worth a knock round. Despite what I've said regarding the bits that let it down, it beats me up every damn time. I really struggle with the place. So it's a real test of all your golfing skills believe me.

Happy to join you if you wish.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi. It's VERY hilly. You climb all the way up to the 7th tee (amazing views for piggin' miles on a clear day) then it;s down and up for the rest of the round. There have been quite a few changes of late. Some holes have been massively extended (17th and 10th and 16th all now tough holes) scrub shifted and course made a much better place to play (Jamie Donnaldson had a lot to do with this) and who turn up from time top time I believe (he started here). Nice bloke by all accounts. The head GK has moved on last year after improving the greens immensely I thought. I didn't get chance to play the place last year, but my mate says the greens are good, but another says not as good as before the last head GK was there. What lets the place down for me is that at least two par 4's driveable, for me, I'm about 240, three if the wind it in the right direction on the 7th. Honestly I've driven it! So to play them as say 5 iron and wedge is a bit rubbishy. The greens are it's main defence. When the GK are in a mood they putt the holes in places where if you miss the putt / chip towards them your ball can roll off the green and into a nightmare place. Bloke in the "pro shop" is a smashing bloke, even if he never remembers my name! All in all the place has improved massively over the last few years and is well worth a knock round. Despite what I've said regarding the bits that let it down, it beats me up every damn time. I really struggle with the place. So it's a real test of all your golfing skills believe me.

Happy to join you if you wish.

Thanks CF. Were / are you a member ? Is the course always busy ? If so whats the competition calendar like and is it a friendly / social membership ?

Sorry for the questions.......My GF lives just round the corner so long term, depending if me and the missus ever combine forces so to speak, i'll potentially be looking for a new golf home.

A game when all the palava is over sounds good (y)

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks CF. Were / are you a member ? Is the course always busy ? If so whats the competition calendar like and is it a friendly / social membership ?

Sorry for the questions.......My GF lives just round the corner so long term, depending if me and the missus ever combine forces so to speak, i'll potentially be looking for a new golf home.

A game when all the palava is over sounds good (y)

They play all year round. Comps, on every weekend. Drops down to a 13 holer in the winter as back nine, is very wet in winter. TSeniors seem to book the place up on a Tuesday morning and it;s Ladies DAY Thursday (rain day LOL). They have a "buddy" membership. £450. (this is what I did for a year) No voting rights no comps no play on Saturday (comp day). My mate tells me they have gone to a booking system for tee times. He's not impressed with this. Social side? Social side? Well me mate and the lads do most of the drinking in the bar (apparently). This is starting to drop off now they are getting older. I didn't find it a very friendly place, but then I didn't use it for comps and maybe was playing at odd times. I didn't / don't like the course you are either walking up hill or down hill all the way round. I kid you not. Flat lies? no where. Flattest (level) holes are 11 and 15. Even the car park is on a slope!.

If all this ends we can meet up for a knock. I'll bring me mate who's a member if you like. He's better placed to give you the FULL ins and outs of the place.

D

Deleted member 1740

They play all year round. Comps, on every weekend. Drops down to a 13 holer in the winter as back nine, is very wet in winter. TSeniors seem to book the place up on a Tuesday morning and it;s Ladies DAY Thursday (rain day LOL). They have a "buddy" membership. £450. (this is what I did for a year) No voting rights no comps no play on Saturday (comp day). My mate tells me they have gone to a booking system for tee times. He's not impressed with this. Social side? Social side? Well me mate and the lads do most of the drinking in the bar (apparently). This is starting to drop off now they are getting older. I didn't find it a very friendly place, but then I didn't use it for comps and maybe was playing at odd times. I didn't / don't like the course you are either walking up hill or down hill all the way round. I kid you not. Flat lies? no where. Flattest (level) holes are 11 and 15. Even the car park is on a slope!.

If all this ends we can meet up for a knock. I'll bring me mate who's a member if you like. He's better placed to give you the FULL ins and outs of the place.

Jesus CF you're selling this very well???