Low point of swing

Mark_Aged_42

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So its been too cold/windy/wet to play.
And I have been thinking about my golf swing, and why I cant take a divot.
Well, a divot after the ball.
And the more I think about it, the physics seem impossible.
Are divots the product of arcane sorcery? Do you have to sell your soul to dark forces?
Let me explain.
If I have say a pitching wedge, at address, the ball is in the middle of the stance, and the club rests on the ground.
Therefore at that moment, the low point of the swing is at ground level.
I get to the top, and swing down. I understand that my weight must move forwards.
But to take a divot the low point must be after the ball and below ground level.
So I must magically extend my arms?
Bend the knees a little?
Tip forwards?
What action lowers the low point of the swing?
Help before I got competely bonkers!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I understand that my weight must move forwards.
QUOTE]
The important point is in that bit of what you are saying.

When your weight moves forwards you body also moves slightly forwards.

The answer can also be found in one of the causes of topping the ball - moving the body to far forwards in the down swing which moves the point at which the clubs bottoms out beyond the ball.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
If I have say a pitching wedge, at address, the ball is in the middle of the stance, and the club rests on the ground.
Therefore at that moment, the low point of the swing is at ground level.

in answer to your specific question, this is where the flaw in your logic sends you off searching for the impossible.

To illustrate (in extreme) take your stance as you set out above, now move your hands forwards 12" so that you have a significant forward shaft lean, now appreciate that if you do nothing but the moves you outline above, when the clubhead returns to the ball it's continuation will go into the ground!

So creating the divot is a function of both dynamic moves and set up.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Even if, as with a lot of amateurs, the club reaches the ball at its low point, on impact the ball goes vertically up & the club, obeying Newton's laws of motion, goes vertically downwards, creating a divot behind the ball. You can see it here
. The club is hitting down but you can see the club go down into the turf on impact.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I very rarely take a divot,does this mean I’m not getting through the ball correctly then?
Lots of pros don’t take divots.
My mate off scratch never takes one. It’s why he’s scratch he is crap out of bunkers.
But he says “ he dosnt go in any so not a problem”

From memory Tom Watson never used to he didn’t do to bad.