Low handicap player

sandmagnet

Head Pro
Visit site
Do you low handicap golfers mind playing with high handicap players? Or do you like to stick to your own standard of golfer . Thinking of joining a club next year, and wondered if it was pushy to ask better players for a game to improve myself.

D

Deleted member 15344

Do you low handicap golfers mind playing with high handicap players? Or do you like to stick to your own standard of golfer . Thinking of joining a club next year, and wondered if it was pushy to ask better players for a game to improve myself.

Handicap has no say on who I play with - it's more to do with the social interaction.

Regulary play with a guy who plays of 24 and have a great laugh

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We have a lot of good players who regularly play in our roll ups with much higher handicappers without issue and most will willingly play a game with someone looking for some help. I do know of good players who can be a bit offish in competitive play and are very insular but I guess if they are trying to make a score you can understand that. No excuse for not talking in between shots mind. Also you can't give advice in comps too

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I will play with anyone quite happily, we were all high handicappers once.

I do find some of the very low men a bit offputting (not all) as some take it way to seriously and suck the fun out of a round if they are not 2 under after 6 holes:rolleyes:

sandmagnet

Head Pro
Visit site
Not worried about comps homer, more just asking people for a game. My mates are all the same standard of about 18/22 hc but good banter,played with a scratch player a few years ago and was a joy to watch,but felt like I was keeping him waiting! Prob reading to much into it.

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
If I'm honest then it's more about golf knowledge than out and out ability. I've played with 20 handicappers who are fun and easy to play with and low men who are hard work. What I don't need though is having to manage someone else around the course which sometimes does happen.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not worried about comps homer, more just asking people for a game. My mates are all the same standard of about 18/22 hc but good banter,played with a scratch player a few years ago and was a joy to watch,but felt like I was keeping him waiting! Prob reading to much into it.

Possibly. I guess it depends what the club you're joining is like I guess. Some I know are quite cliquey and so joining roll ups and getting a game for a newbie can be a challenge. Fortunately they are very much in the minority these days and most places will welcome you along. A good captain or secretary should make an effort to ensure you can get a regular game once you join. We have a number of roll ups at weekends (and several in the week including an evening supper club 9 holer) where new members are welcomed and its a guaranteed game every week. Our own one has some single figure guys and they're good fun to play with

sandmagnet

Head Pro
Visit site
If I'm honest then it's more about golf knowledge than out and out ability. I've played with 20 handicappers who are fun and easy to play with and low men who are hard work. What I don't need though is having to manage someone else around the course which sometimes does happen.
can you define mange someone else around a golf course please flydewhite?

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm a hacker but I will play with low handicappers, 27 handicappers and even Williamalex1.

I personally would have a problem (this may surprise people) with a 28 handicapper who struggles to play to 40 handicap.

As long as you don't chuck wedges about, enjoy yourself and the game of golf then we'll be good for 18 holes and a pint.

sandmagnet

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm a hacker but I will play with low handicappers, 27 handicappers and even Williamalex1.

I personally would have a problem (this may surprise people) with a 28 handicapper who struggles to play to 40 handicap.

As long as you don't chuck wedges about, enjoy yourself and the game of golf then we'll be good for 18 holes and a pint.
never been one for chucking toys out the pram mate,I just enjoying playing golf!

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have chopped it round with plenty of single figure golfers, I nearly always manage to drag them down to my level and I occasionally manage to up my game ;)

Joff

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I prefer playing with lower, but no issues playing with higher. I'd rather a high capper who was a laugh.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
I will play golf with anyone ,just back to 8 today so not sure if im a low handicapper or not haha , my regular partners are a 20& 24 handicapper

I will say i have found when playing serious comps i find it easier to play with low /lower handicaps tho , flow to the game is better , mental attitude to the game is better and if they are playing better or as good as you are you can feed off it ..

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
can you define mange someone else around a golf course please flydewhite?

Basically, most players just get on with their game and allow you to get on with your's......some don't.... and you end up thinking more about what they are doing than your own game.

Examples would be folk who don't know when it's their turn, never follow their ball, don't have a clue what to do when they find it against a tree, always have to be told it's their turn to putt, have to be told not to stand behind me when I'm putting or tend the flag with their shadow across the hole, say "good shot" every time the ball goes more than 150 yards regardless of the quality of strike.

I know you can for example just ask them to move to the other side to tend the flag but you shouldn't have had to and therefore you are over the putt having the thoughts and quite possibly the irritation of that in your head when there was no need.

As I said above, none of this is necessarily related to handicap.

BoadieBroadus

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I will say i have found when playing serious comps i find it easier to play with low /lower handicaps tho , flow to the game is better , mental attitude to the game is better and if they are playing better or as good as you are you can feed off it ..

I'd agree with this. Can be trying when you hit a drive but then have to wait for provisionals, two more duffs, looking for the original ball, looking for the second provisional, giving advice on a drop, a topped shot and then getting round to hitting your own second shot.

I understand everyone has to start somewhere, but when there is a decent flow to a round it just tends to be more enjoyable.

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I play roll ups and general competitions with any standard of player, always have. Doesn't worry me in the slightest. I do however choose to play with lower players for 3-5 specific competitions a year as that helps my game. These are arranged in advance so no one from the group can get offended.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
For a bounce game i'll play with anyone, but for a medal would prefer lower guys.

All our comps are drawn and so the chances of getting two lower handicappers aren't good. I've a 14 and 23 handicapper in my group for club champs but as long as they're decent company it won't make a difference to what I do. As we're the third from last group out it's going to be slow so may as well enjoy it

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
All our comps are drawn and so the chances of getting two lower handicappers aren't good. I've a 14 and 23 handicapper in my group for club champs but as long as they're decent company it won't make a difference to what I do. As we're the third from last group out it's going to be slow so may as well enjoy it

Ours are drawn as well, but we have more lower guys play the comps than higher. On Sat i played with a 3 and a 6 handicapper and next weekend ive got two 6 handicappers. I don't think Ive played with anyone over 9 this year in a drawn comp.