Losing it.

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
Got custom fitted and bought myself some beautiful Ping G20's just after Christmas.
Beautiful clubs, reported to be great game improvement irons.
All fired up and thinking that this year is the one where I make a concerted effort in reducing my handicap.

Played just the 3 times on grass since buying. OK, conditions for good golf haven't been brilliant with rain, wind and rain sodden courses.

My problem?

I just can't hit the bloody things!:mad:

Played a few holes today and I'm finding I'm hitting them as fat as a fat thing. Tried different ball position, weight transfer, easy swing. Same result. Lousy fat shots!

Is this a normal phenomenon when you change clubs? I can't really blame the clubs, it must be me. The sad thing is, my game was seeing a lot of improvement towards the end of last season. I felt I was really progressing.
Now I feel I'm no better than I was when I first started the game.

Help or advice please, I really need it!:thup:

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
just swing the club, dont try and hit the ball (as in just swing normal, you may find you are going after it a bit), easy does it and dont think that just because they are great clubs you will instantly be great with them :)

(all easier said than done mind you :) )

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
In my experience you will always hit a lot more fat shots when the ground is really soft and muddy. Club will dig in more instead of sliding through.

A few weeks back I played on mud and hit everything fat. The next week the ground was semi frozen and I hit everything sweet as a nut.

I would wait until you have played a few rounds in better conditions.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Is this a normal phenomenon when you change clubs? I can't really blame the clubs, it must be me.

Fairly common, you're probably either (a) trying too hard and overswinging (b) hoping the clubs do all the work and not really swinging at all.

Try and hit an extra club with a HARD 3/4 swing, you just need to get your timing back.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
i nearly sold my nike pro combos after a week. a week later id got used to them. glad i stuck it out. it was a ig change from my old clubs. plus i was rubbish at the time!

Basher

Tour Winner
Much happier today.
Sussed the fault after hacking round over half the course! As it happens, a whole host of them.
1. Massive overswing
2. Lack of commitment at impact and follow through.
3 Too much tension at address and throughout the swing.
4. Coming over the top and swing out to in. (main fat shot cause)

Did my best to address them all and saw an instant improvement. Never hit another fat shot for the rest of the round.
Elated!!!:whoo:

Basher

Tour Winner
Too upright swing leading to an out to in swing.
Coming down on the outside with not much upper body rotation and the club head reached the bottom of the swing apex well before the ball.
It worked anyway.

GOLFBALL_WHACKER_GUY

Challenge Tour Pro
www.sasroofing.co.uk
I'm in exactly the same situation as you Basher, same irons too. Been so tempted to get my old hippos out of the garage and flog the pings on while they're still popular, but I know they can be hit well as I have hit the odd nice shot. If I could just get consistent with my irons I'd easily lower my HC, its all thats stopping me.

Today is a fine example, majority of my drives were great, out driving a 14 HC in our four ball, then I shank, push and thin my way to the green. Double bogey if im lucky. 26 pts today. Some memorable shots but id say 80% of my iron shots were mis hits or something.

How can I be able to hit a driver so well, and not my £450 set of irons? Even off a tee I struggle!

leaney

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I had this a few weeks ago and I realised I was holding the club too tight and there was too much tension in my golf swing.

I had forgot the basics because I was focusing on working on other things.

Just loosen up and relax mate.