Long Drive guys

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
PROV1S go just as far

You are thinking there is some magical bit of equipment, there isnt

Drivers are not tricked up, they are legal for golf and as i said already they are heavier, so harder to swing a couple of inches makes perhaps 3mph clubhead speed total or 5mph ballspeed or 9 yards.

btw an amateur golfer hitting it 320 is great, most of the guys you see are amateurs, just longer than the guy that hits it 320 when he tries to kill it.

This is internet theory
so i do this, the ball goes further and those magical shafts, well that 320 guy would hit 370
just does not work that way, the equipment makes a small difference, they use volvik balls as they are cheap, not because they go miles

Not saying there isn't skill involved. The drivers are custom fit for this purpose so they will make a difference. If these guys were to play 18 would they use these, no. The priority is keeping everything in play not 1 in 8. If I hit the ball 320, then added a 25 mph wind my distance would increase. Then add the driver to it (obviously I need to learn how to use it). Then add swinging like a lunatic at the ball instead of a controlled swing prioritising in play shots then I'm going to add quite a bit of distance.

Maybe not 404 yards. But quite a bit.

WillC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It is impressive!

Like someone mentioned, when you hear club golfers saying they hit it this far, that far, it is most likely to be exaggerated. Even if they pace it out, it probably isn't as far as they think, or as far as they want to tell you!

G

guest100718

There's a good YouTube of finch and shiels trying to hit sadlowskis ld driver .

351DRIVER

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Guy at our place has been to the world long drive comp over in vegas last 2 years and can hit it rather a long way... http://www.europeanlongdrivers.com/players/scott-beaven-eng/ His longest was 417 yds or something, but that was in Vegas. 404 in Scotland in this weather is seriously impressive

The guys hitting in Scotland are of a similar standard to him, some better some worse, most are not really contenders on the bigger stage, qualifying for the world ld champs is entirely different to being a contender, there is another level

The guys that turn up to LD in europe especially are not professionals really, they are longest club golfer in their club, the county and every other county they ever visited, they get a few ld clubs, work on more speed and compete. But anyone that ever competes you can guarantee is damn long. Internet 315 is probably 280 and 370 measured is 90 yards longer. That is a short par 3 longer, its a huge difference.

Last edited:

351DRIVER

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
The average drive of 277.8 yards for the week at the Masters was the lowest number for the tournament since 2008
The average scratch play is 250 yards, Game Golf

Bit of context

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Stick 2 inches on your driver, on average you may not hit it further, on average you may well hit it shorter.

It is quite easy to say
downwind, magic clubs, those balls are illegal, jason day hit it 390 one time... but the reality is, although they are not all worldclass they smash the snot out of the ball and with your driver, the yardages would not be far short. The extra couple of inches on the club is to squeeze out 3mph extra clubspeed, but its heavier and harder to middle.

I have a longdrive club for sale, you want it? 150 quid, xx shaft, 48inch, 5 degrees.. you can hit it 375 if you get volvik balls to (No guarantee though) OR you might just not hit it any further.

Corey Pavin has hit 400 yard drives
Joe Miller hit one 300 yards

Corey Pavin is longer than Joe Miller.

GAME GOLF AVERAGE DRIVE FOR A SCRATCH GOLFER IS 250 YARDS
SCOTLAND IN APRIL is not exactly the place for distance and they were needing 360s to win knockout rounds with many 370s too
Context is everything
404 is flat out ridiculous

Taking a yardage from one place and saying LOOK AT THIS, v a totally different place is entirely pointless.

Just asked Miller on Twitter. He said he averages 30-60yds more with his comp driver. So with regards to yardages being much difference, your wrong

351DRIVER

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Just asked Miller on Twitter. He said he averages 30-60yds more with his comp driver. So with regards to yardages being much difference, your wrong

The club does not produce 60 yards, how he approaches the shot may
It would only produce 60 yards if he never hit his regular club hard

2 inches will produces around 3mph clubhead speed which is perhaps 9 yards

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
TBH i play with a few low guys that hit the ball pretty well and have CHS around 110-115MPH have a lot of lag. and none reg hit it over 300. once in a blue moon down wind on hard fairways maybe. so hitting it those distances in Scotland at this time of year is exceptional in my book

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Played in the same comp Jamie and got talking to one of the lads competing a cracking lad who told us all about it ,he used a 45 inch driver but they tee it it up so high it looked like they'd sky it. the lad that won it with 362 we watched him he never hit the fairway once all his shots ended up on the beach

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've played with Adam Stacey who has competed in this events and his driver is like a breeze block on solid steel - most people couldn't even swing it. When he hits it, it's like a cannon going off. The difference between a man hitting a ball and a woman, well that's the same as these guys and us mortals.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's impressive to me that anyone gets a ball airborne with a 50" XX shaft and 5° of loft.

You would be surprised Gary how easy it is to get these clubs airbourne. My friend at work use to enter lond drive comps and he has a 6* head fitted with a 48" XXXXStiff Accra shaft. I've hit it several times and it does go a mile, only problem is I do not have a clue in what direction.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
You would be surprised Gary how easy it is to get these clubs airbourne. My friend at work use to enter lond drive comps and he has a 6* head fitted with a 48" XXXXStiff Accra shaft. I've hit it several times and it does go a mile, only problem is I do not have a clue in what direction.

Had an outing at The Berkshire a few years ago where a 4* head on a 48" XXX shaft was 'available' on the 3rd of Red. I snuck over the ditch (from the whites) which is about where my normal expectation would be (if not in the heather!). Ball actually travelled a lot further though - in quite a left to right arc!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Joe is based at the club I play most of all my golf at! My (comparatively long hitting) mate, who is a member, finds it quite intimidating practicing either randomly or after a lesson when he is on the range - it makes him get very 'quick'!

Joe came out for a couple of holes with us a while back - hitting a 7-iron way past my pretty good (for me) Drive! He hits a putter about the same length too!! And he has been known to fly the green on an uphill 390yd Par 4 that I normally consider a 3-shotter!

Also rather daunting if you meet him in the clubhouse (normally after his gym session) - as he takes up a huge amount of space!!