Liverpool vs. Atletico Madrid

shanker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I didn't see it because of work but the Spanish are bloody furious about the penalty in injury time. The British press seems to say that Liverpool were denied two dead cert. penalties before the duff ref finally gave them one and were the better team anyway.. Who's right?

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Liverpool outplayed Atletico for the vast majority of the night, their goal was well worked though a little fortunate that they caught our defence a half yard out of position.
We had a handball or two denied in the first half in the penalty box and a couple of corners given the wrong way. The spanish were a little over technical when they tried to play the ball about and didnt deserve the win, a halfed match was about as good as they deserved though the actual penalty liverpool were given was definately not as strong a case as the earlier claims. The debacle after the equaliser was a bit of a shambles with the atletico forward kicking the ball over the liverpool net in a huff on the restart.
I cant say liverpool deserved the win because 16 shots and only 4 on target simply isnt good enough.

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
Atletico should have had a penalty also when mascherano handled.

Surprise surprise though Steven "9.9" Gerrard wins a dodgy pen (liverpool should have had one earlier though) and they earn a point.

Also, the ITV coverage is sickeningly partisan.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Yea as I said the penalty was not the most clear cut decision made by the ref, both players were in mid air, how do you decide that as a penalty? Ive found when it comes to any british teams the media love to see them win, then kncok them when they are on the verge of greatness.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
By 'the scum' I take it you mean Arsenal. 0-0 wasn't really a set back, and given the ridiculous number of players injured at the moment that was the best we could have expected.

Nevermind, it makes me all warm inside that you care so much!