Lie angle & interchangeable weights

BrizoH71

Tour Rookie
brianhealy.net
I'm currently using a Wilson Staff M3 hybrid set at 21degrees standard lie along with my PING green-dot irons.

The hybrid has an option to set the loft 2degrees upright, so I was wondering if there would be any benefit to using this setting seeing as my irons are 2.25degrees upright? I hit the hybrid ok as it stands, so just curious.

Also the hybrid has the default 7g weight in it; if I were to swap to either the heavier 11g or the lighter 3g weight, how would this affect the ball flight, assuming the 7g gives a low-mid flight currently?

I realise I could probably answer these questions myself with a trip to the range, but I thought I'd put the question out there for thoughts. :thup:

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
The first thing to do would be to compare the standard lies of your Ping irons with Wilson M3 irons (assuming such a beast exists), likewise with the hybrids. Should it transpire that the Wilson lies are a couple of degrees upright over Ping standard lies then your hybrid is already an effective match to your Ping green dots. It might explain why you hit your hybrid okay as it is.

As regards the weight, depending on the design of the weight, the CoG may shift & affect the spin but I'd imagine it would be marginal, it will also affect how the club feels and I'd guess that is more the reason. If you lengthen a club it feels heavier so the lighter weight would reduce that effect, shorten it it feels lighter so the heavier weight restores swing weight, and I'd imagine that is more likely the reason than the spin/CoG effect.

I think, as you rightly suggest, the best thing to do is take it to a range and have a play.

And I'm also sure that someone who really knows what they are talking about will be along soon to give you the correct answer……..

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
the lie as standard on the Wilson 21º hybrid will be around 58º - so adjusted would be 60.25º

on a ping g30 22º hybrid the standard lie would be 59º - so am assuming if there was a green dot hybrid? it would be 61.25º

as a general statement giving a center strike a more upright lie would help to limit left to right flight to a limited extent

(some years back that why OEM's made standard driver lies more upright at around 59º ball park figure for that very reason as a bunch over 70% index players hit slice balls)

only one ways to see if hybrid more upright helps a ways better

the heavier weight going to, with center strike at optimum AoA + dynamic loft, is potentially launch the ball higher and potentially up the spinrate - lighter weight potentially the opposite