Lets all ignore the new scammer Mr Golfinglegend

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
Comrades, another kno8 jockey has tried to infiltrate our ranks with a blatant plug for his/her product.

I PROPOSE WE IGNORE THE THREAD AND REFUSE TO EVEN SLAG THE SAD B'STARD OFF !!!!!!!!!!!

LETS KEEP HIS THREAD READS DOWN TO A MINIMUM AND DON'T EVEN BOTHER REPLYING.

SOLIDARITY !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sam

Head Pro
Visit site
Agree entirely but majority of spammers wont even bother with a 2nd visit once they have got their message across

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think the best way to ignore them is not to actually read their thread as the read counter goes up every time you click on it and secondly by not opening their suggested web page will also ignore their blatant plug.

If someone came on here and said they had paid GM to post their site then I for one would take a look.

surefire

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If you really wanted to annoy them, you should actually click the link they post.

Most internet advertising is tracked these days, and one of the important figures is clicks per conversion. So hitting the site many times will produce a very low conversion rate making the advertising appear very innefective.

Also if the spammers are an agency and are charging the original company per click, lots of clicks will cost the original company more and they might decide to not waste their money.

Sorry for getting all geeky, its part of my line of work!

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you really wanted to annoy them, you should actually click the link they post.

Most internet advertising is tracked these days, and one of the important figures is clicks per conversion. So hitting the site many times will produce a very low conversion rate making the advertising appear very innefective.

Also if the spammers are an agency and are charging the original company per click, lots of clicks will cost the original company more and they might decide to not waste their money.

bit too geeky - I didn't understand the bit about 'clicks per conversion' (unless this means the number of viewers compared with the number who go on to purchase through the site?) - though I do like the idea of costing them money!

surefire

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Spot on.

The clicks per conversion is the number of people who hit the site through the ad divided by the number of people who hit the site through the ad AND go on to make a purchase through the site. So the more hits, the lower the ratio, and efficiency of the campaign.

Obviously this stat is usually only used when the site has a checkout option, although if the site tells you to give a ref number when you call or mail in it could be used through this.

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site

I disagree...some sites make money every time someone views their ads, whether they click on them or not. The more pageviews this guy gets, the more it could earn him. I for one wouldn't click on the site and earn him even a fraction of a penny. :mad:

surefire

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
But if it earns this guy money, it costs the person who advertises on his site, as ultimately their ads get no return.

So if they lose money, they stop paying him, so he stops spamming.

Also its very unlikely as CPM (Cost Per Thousand views) advertising has gone out of fashion since PPC (Pay Per Click) came on the scene.

Also they do tracking too, so if all of his hits come from a limited number of IP addresses, they often don't pay, as it is considered fraud. Otherwise he could just refresh his page at lot or ask his friends to do so.