Lessons-Indoor vs Outdoor?

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Just heading up for lesson with our Craig and it will be in the all singing, all dancing indoor swing studio (which cost a fair amount)
All this because it's teeming down.............but should be thankful to have this facility I suppose.
The thing is, I would rather practise outside (granted, on a nice wind-free warm day; get a grip-it's Scotland)
What about you happy punters?
Any particular preferences?

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Don't really like swinging indoors it doesnt feel good to me.
Are the lessons good and what is his teaching style? I could do with some lessons.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
On the one hand, indoor gives you all the numbers if you're that way inclined, and want to work on one of those aspects in particular. Whereas outdoors is more feel and flight-based I guess. Probably depends what works best for the individual and what they'd rather be looking at.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A lot of the stuff I’m working on doesn’t need a trackman and I don’t really need to see flight so I’d be happier to do inside than not at all. An iPad and feel is enough at this point.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Outdoors for me. Luckily for me the place I tend to go has lessons in a shed type contraption on a range that buffets you from the worst of the weather. I'm not that bothered about trackman numbers, the pro understands them and that is all that matters for me, but I do get ball flight, trajectory, direction and so on that I can visually see. I can't see that in a studio. I know it gives info but I don't quite trust it.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
I have my lessons at a local club which has its own range/academy. Hitting from a studio, so full trackman/GC Quad and camera set up out onto the range with greens to aim at. If the weather is bad we will shut the door and pull the screen down so fully inside. Couldnt really ask for anymore.

G1z1

Visit site
I don’t like indoor lessons but the new pro I’m with does mostly indoors. I think I like to see my ball flight and also like hitting from real turf vs a mat.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
I have my lessons at a local club which has its own range/academy. Hitting from a studio, so full trackman/GC Quad and camera set up out onto the range with greens to aim at. If the weather is bad we will shut the door and pull the screen down so fully inside. Couldnt really ask for anymore.

Same thing in Fraserburgh were I've been having lessons recently, last week the weather was howling so we just shut the roller door and hit into screen.

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Ideally outdoors with launch monitor - get the stats but also see the ball flight.

Dark winter nights.... happy to just be inside in the warm!

Thought a young(ish) thing like you wouldn't feel the cold:giggle:
Oh Yeh, it's baltic Scotland,silly me:eek::LOL:
Good lesson though, sorted me out(swing that is) while watching me loosen up with a few easy practise swings!
It was pretty apparent (to him) that I was swinging out to the right with no acceleration-coming through at the same speed as my backswing; i.e. 5 mph
Solution-put ball down, put shoe box on far side but less than club width away and swing round myself-DO NOT HIT THE BLOODY BOX OR IT WILL COST £1 EACH TIME-after £5 donation to Craigs Xmas I got the message---Started creaming it especially when told to 'HIT IT, DON'T KISS IT, YOU SOFTIE(or words to that effect)
Then left me alone in a room with loads of expensive gear but thankfully not switched on-wouldn't know how to work it anyway:rolleyes: for an hours practise on my own--actually enjoyed it(y)

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Don't really like swinging indoors it doesnt feel good to me.
Are the lessons good and what is his teaching style? I could do with some lessons.
Depends what you're looking for I 'spose-Have you had lessons previously? Have they been a good/ bad experience?
Where are you based-Glasgow South West?
I personally think Craig's good, easy to talk to/ listens and explains the points of the exercise/lesson
Listen, if he can sort me out then he can part the RED SEA:whistle:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Club has invested in a three bay covered range for the practice ground. Means the pro can let students see the ball flight and with GC quad relate the shot to the numbers. Also now allows members to hit driver (moved further back down the range to make the range 250+ yards). We don't have an indoor facility...yet so gives the pros a chance to teach irrespective of a bit of rain

I have my lessons at a local range so it's not a problem and I'm not overly precious about hitting off grass. The teaching pro have a dedicated studio they can use, especially for fitting where they have all the video and distance technology. Otherwise we use a bay on the range and toptracer. It gives a ball park figure of distance, but shows movement and the flight which when I have a lesson is what I tend to look for

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Depends what you're looking for I 'spose-Have you had lessons previously? Have they been a good/ bad experience?
Where are you based-Glasgow South West?
I personally think Craig's good, easy to talk to/ listens and explains the points of the exercise/lesson
Listen, if he can sort me out then he can part the RED SEA:whistle:
I'm getting lessons at the moment but feel that I am not really progressing, I believe the diagnosis but am not sure that I am altering anything in the lesson.

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Club has invested in a three bay covered range for the practice ground. Means the pro can let students see the ball flight and with GC quad relate the shot to the numbers. Also now allows members to hit driver (moved further back down the range to make the range 250+ yards). We don't have an indoor facility...yet so gives the pros a chance to teach irrespective of a bit of rain

I have my lessons at a local range so it's not a problem and I'm not overly precious about hitting off grass. The teaching pro have a dedicated studio they can use, especially for fitting where they have all the video and distance technology. Otherwise we use a bay on the range and toptracer. It gives a ball park figure of distance, but shows movement and the flight which when I have a lesson is what I tend to look for

Good to see your keyboard skills in action fella!
Hope all is well and that includes your game(y)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'm getting lessons at the moment but feel that I am not really progressing, I believe the diagnosis but am not sure that I am altering anything in the lesson.

Have the discussion with the pro. Tell him exactly what you've written here and see what they say. Are you seeing any difference in the shots during the lesson (longer/straighter) and is it more an issue after when you are working on the changes?

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
So, are you thinking of doing anything to change this situation?
I get the impression that you are not 100% in synch with the teaching on offer?
Do you have specific aims in mind/ball flight you want to bed in/drills you want to ingrain?
Certainly a good teaching professional will listen and assess what's actually achievable both physically AND mentally
I'll ask again "Where are you based" if you're in my area and want to speak to our pro(can't do any harm) then drop me a line(y)

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm just west of Glasgow.
I'm trying to get a bit more length and have very poor hip turn and release but I don't really seem to get it.