Left hand low, dominant/non dominant hands in putting?

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
After a horrendous weekend of putting after it normally being strongest part of my game decided to concentrate on it a bit more...

On my home Matt been trying a few things and find it really easy to roll in 3-6 footers right hand only.... when I try left hand only I’m all over the shop so guess I’m right hand dominant...

Any drills or grips that suit my style best? Left hand low feels too awkward as apparently the right hand should just be along for the ride?

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Be interested in reading the responses. When I think about it, neither of my hands feel involved. Both are passive and along for the ride. Its my shoulders that create the swing both back and forward....at least it feels that way

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Be interested in reading the responses. When I think about it, neither of my hands feel involved. Both are passive and along for the ride. Its my shoulders that create the swing both back and forward....at least it feels that way

Perfick, the hands/wrists should do nothing

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
interested in you saying more bob- I had never really thought of it before either but have listened a lot to these mark Immelman podcasts and the most recent was dave stockton who spoke of hand dominance- he proposes for a lot of people to practice putting and chipping left hand only to gain strength and awareness as sometimes the dominant right hand can take over. He said tiger said he can't get on with left hand low because of his right hand dominance so surely something in it if Tiger talking about it. I don't break the wrists but do feel as if my right hand is dominant force, my left hand I try to feel the backside of it going towards target to keep a bit more in control but left hand only I'm all over the shop. Just think surely there needs to be an element of feel in the hands no?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The hands and wrists are controlled by small fast twitch muscles which allow a large range of motion and quick sudden movement....not a requirement in putting.

The shoulder muscles are controlled by large slow twitch muscles which are good for putting.

If your lower body turns when you putt and your shoulders rock when you putt and your hands and wrists hinge when you putt, you are going to have problems controlling the clubhead consistently.

However if you keep your lower half still and your hands and wrists firm, then you only have the rocking shoulders to control which wont twitch and to vary the clubhead speed, you vary the length of swing.

Have a look on youtube at the best putters and you will see most of them keep their lower half still and their hands and wrists firm.