Laying The Club Face Open

forefortheday

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Finally got to a stage where I can send the ball up in the air on a regular basis (only taken 2 years ha ha ha!) but everything I hit goes straight then dives to the right or flies off to the right.

Been told I am laying my club face open at impact

Anybody got any tips or drills to try and help me stop this?

My backswing position is fine (pro confirmed this) but people keep mentioning "coming over the top" tried and tried to fix this myself but can't seem to capture the right feeling on my downswing

mickytwodesks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
FFTD i'm not going to offer specific advise (you have played golf with me!) but i can strongly recommend the free CD in Todays Golfer, Faults and Fixes. has some really good stuff. might be worth having a look and practicing the drills.

mikest

Club Champion
www.middlesbroughgolfclub.co.uk
I have found a lot of people slice the ball when they start as they take the ball back outside the line on the backswing and then come straight back down the same path implying side spin on the ball. If you watch the pro's hitting a draw (sky are great for shots like this where they slow it down and use graphics) then you will see that they go in-to-out with the swing, theres also other things that go into it but as far as the swing path is concerned this is the main direction. just bringing the club back at a slightly closer angle to your body could stop the slice, too much and you could start pulling! but anyway its all about practicing the right things. I f you go to a pro once a month you wont develop bad habits.

also you may be aligned wrong, check your alignment at the range with an iron laid on the floor in front of you feet. check your right foot isnt too far forward compared with your left this can also cause you to cut the ball right.

without seeing you swing I can't say for certain but keep practicing the right things and I'm sure you will sort it mate.

edit:Ive just read your pro has said your backswing is ok, I'm sure any pro worth their money can tell you the reason your sending the ball left so stick with him.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Great suggestion by nomadpaul.... but this one is better! Do this for 10-15 mins each range session and beleive me, you will have a great swing path. It can't fail!

3 ball drill

forefortheday

Tour Rookie
Visit site
No Real my pro didn't tell me it's come from a few people I play golf with.

To be honest I think part of my problem is I read every single golf mag and read all the tips so whenever I hit poor shots at the range I'm confused as to how to fix it, got a bit of info overload!

(which is ironic that I'm asking for more advice I know!)

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
You no what, I used to do that but then I just ignored everyone and only watched ricard on videojug for tips. Its surprising how much you can learn from his videos.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
No Real my pro didn't tell me it's come from a few people I play golf with.

I think the best thing is to do is trust in what you see and feel is happening. Forget instruction and "how's-my-swing" and "could this be the drill for me" and work out a few basics during practice. There are plenty of players with less than ideal swings who can hit a straight ball, but they suffer from inconsistency.

If you are struggling to square the face you either need to re-assess your grip or train yourself to turn the face over more through impact. I think most players don't think about what is happening and trying to hold off or deliberately close the face is only if you are trying to shape the ball or you have the skill to really control things.

Another thing worth trying is to take the club back without the natural opening of the face i.e. keep the face looking at the ball more as you take the club back. In the old days, pros used to expect the club toe to be pointing skywards at the 9 o'clock position. My pro says it's ok to be a little closed or "shut" at the moment before the wrists cock the club into the plane. When I take it back I try for maximum width. As Tiger describes in his book "I try to extend the butt end of the shaft as far away from my right hip as I possibly can, my shoulders turning to make it possible." Now, this width is irrelevant to the face, but if I was to look at the face at the moment it would be at bit closed. From there, unless you "fan the face" it will be a bit closed at the top, and hopefully needs less hand action to square on the way down. It REALLY works. Pretty much all the girls on tour are coached this way because they have less strength to fight the torque on the way down.

forefortheday

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Just to say thanks for the advice!

Been down the range a fair bit practicing

Played 9 holes on a local course tonight and things were so much better!

Apart from a topped tee shot on the first,3 bad slices 1 hook (yes a hook actually made me smile!) everything went up in the air nice and straight.

It really gave me confidence especially from 100 yards in, hit the flag with 2 bump and runs and hit another chip that hung on the edge of the hole how it stayed out I'll never know.

Plenty to work on but I stood over the ball with confidence and we all know what a difference that can make.

Playing agin tomorrow and then the big match on Sunday FFTD vs little (much better golfer)brother!