Latest from the R&A (Covid)

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The R&A mention preferred lie in bunker up to 1 club length away.
Am I right in thinking that when playing an event for hcp that the limit is 6 inches?

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
The R&A mention preferred lie in bunker up to 1 club length away.
Am I right in thinking that when playing an event for hcp that the limit is 6 inches?
Yes, you’re right.
But it’s a bit daft really isn’t it, the ruling body say one thing, England Golf and CONGU say something different.
Would it have been difficult to agree one rule for this?
And we wonder why people get confused over the rules of golf.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes, you’re right.
But it’s a bit daft really isn’t it, the ruling body say one thing, England Golf and CONGU say something different.
Would it have been difficult to agree one rule for this?
And we wonder why people get confused over the rules of golf.

Remember, the R&A covers all of the world outside the USA & Mexico. A large proportion of those countries have 1cl as the PL limit.
CONGU (of which England Golf is a member) has always had a 6" limit.
1cl is only a R&A suggestion. You will note that the actual Local Rule E3 does not specify any particular distance.

Further, the R&A is not a handicapping authority and always defers to such authorities where handicapping is involved. (see the Note at the end of the R&A notice)

Wildboy370

skiptongolfclub.co.uk
What all seems odd now is why are we still not allowed to touch or remove the flag. We can got shopping touching lord knows how many items. We can go food shopping and rely on the trolley and boxes, tin, packets etc to be clean but in reality touched by hundreds of people, we can now go the pub touching door handles, tables etc. But a flag stick outside 24/7 in all elements, currently day after day of torrential rain oh no can’t touch that. I have emailed England Golf number of times and get the stock corporate answer. We are currently in discussions with the government and await the answers. Why can’t they make a desicion ? Every club has sanitising stations before 1st tee so sanitise hands and your as safe if not safer than in a shop, pub or most places. At least make it optional for those who don’t feel comfortable or safe to touch it still.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
What all seems odd now is why are we still not allowed to touch or remove the flag. We can got shopping touching lord knows how many items. We can go food shopping and rely on the trolley and boxes, tin, packets etc to be clean but in reality touched by hundreds of people, we can now go the pub touching door handles, tables etc. But a flag stick outside 24/7 in all elements, currently day after day of torrential rain oh no can’t touch that. I have emailed England Golf number of times and get the stock corporate answer. We are currently in discussions with the government and await the answers. Why can’t they make a desicion ? Every club has sanitising stations before 1st tee so sanitise hands and your as safe if not safer than in a shop, pub or most places. At least make it optional for those who don’t feel comfortable or safe to touch it still.
Why do you want to touch it? It isn't a fetish I've heard of before :oops:;)

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
. I have emailed England Golf number of times and get the stock corporate answer. We are currently in discussions with the government and await the answers. Why can’t they make a desicion ? Every club has sanitising stations before 1st tee so sanitise hands and your as safe if not safer than in a shop, pub or most places. At least make it optional for those who don’t feel comfortable or safe to touch it still.

I've spoken recently with the owner of my club. He is hugely critical of England Golf in all respects of their handling of Covid related issues and assistance to clubs. Basically they've sat on their hands and done nothing, provided no leadership whatsoever and preferred to follow on the coat tails of others. Every time he's asked them for guidance and advice its been a case of "well we need to see what the government tell us to do next" or.."thats up to what you decide really" as standard responses. His opinion of England golf as the governing body is pretty scathing.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The truth is that we do not have to pick up produce in the supermarket if we are not buying it. That which we do wish to buy we can pick up wearing disposable gloves and/or clean our hands regularly during our shop if that is what we want to do. It lengthens our shop but we don't impact anyone else. (aside - I think that such as clothes and book shops have to 'quarantine' for a few days any item handled by a customer but not bought - clearly that would be impractical in supermarkets).

We could do the same on the golf course - but if one did it then so would have to all others as we'd have to keep the flagstick virus-free. And boy - that would slow things down. Easiest way to keep the flagstick virus-free is simply for none of us to handle it. It's easy and impacts nobody in any meaningful way.

Wildboy370

skiptongolfclub.co.uk
The truth is that we do not have to pick up produce in the supermarket if we are not buying it. That which we do wish to buy we can pick up wearing disposable gloves and/or clean our hands regularly during our shop if that is what we want to do. It lengthens our shop but we don't impact anyone else. (aside - I think that such as clothes and book shops have to 'quarantine' for a few days any item handled by a customer but not bought - clearly that would be impractical in supermarkets).

We could do the same on the golf course - but if one did it then so would have to all others as we'd have to keep the flagstick virus-free. And boy - that would slow things down. Easiest way to keep the flagstick virus-free is simply for none of us to handle it. It's easy and impacts nobody in any meaningful way.
I whole heartedly agree with the truth is we don’t have to pick up produce in the supermarket. Problem is the Truth is this doesn’t happen never has never will. you Only have to stand a watch any isle in any supermarket and no one bit the v v cautious wear gloves, and most still pick stuff up and look at packet, bag etc. They slide open the fridge/
freezer doors to get stuff, no Sanitisation before next person opens same door. The flag stick is outside in all weathers like I said mostly rain at the moment, but in sun etc. You can’t tell me that the virus is as prevalent on this than anything else we touch daily without even thinking about it. And as Nick sayS above, the response from golf England has been poor to say the least, as with everything to do with this they sit there let others make decisions too scared to make them In case it goes wrong, but quick to blame when it does.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've spoken recently with the owner of my club. He is hugely critical of England Golf in all respects of their handling of Covid related issues and assistance to clubs. Basically they've sat on their hands and done nothing, provided no leadership whatsoever and preferred to follow on the coat tails of others. Every time he's asked them for guidance and advice its been a case of "well we need to see what the government tell us to do next" or.."thats up to what you decide really" as standard responses. His opinion of England golf as the governing body is pretty scathing.
England Golf does not make the covid protection rules. Nor does it make the Rules of Golf.
They have to wait for the government to say what they may or may not do and the R&A to say how the RoG are affected. Then and only then can EG advise on how the government's decisions impacts clubs and how the R&A's decisions impact playing. The only part that EG can effectively do is specify the affect on handicaps. EG issued notices immediately after each announce by the government and/or the R&A.

Just what could EG have told the owner of your club?

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Amazing how you give people one thing (the ability to just play golf with some fairly non-intrusive restrictions) but then as soon as you do they want something more.

Just be thankful we can play golf.

What exactly does your man expect England Golf to do?!

Well (assuming by your use of the phrase "your man" you are referring to my post without actually quoting it) you are assuming an awful lot there....our owner has been asking for advice/assistance from England Golf well before any hint of a return to golf was mentioned....so for you to assume that "he wants something more" after being told we can play golf is adding 2 and 2 together to get something other than 4.

Now...as the golf club is his business, I'm sure he has been talking with England Golf about matters not specifically related to the actual playing of the game but wider matters that directly impact the business...as its a privately owned club he hasn't shared with me the specific details of his grievances with England Golf but, knowing the man as I do, and a little bit about his background, he's no shrinking violet and wouldn't just go off whinging about EG for no good reason...I guess he has genuine reasons for dissatisfaction.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
England Golf does not make the covid protection rules. Nor does it make the Rules of Golf.
They have to wait for the government to say what they may or may not do and the R&A to say how the RoG are affected. Then and only then can EG advise on how the government's decisions impacts clubs and how the R&A's decisions impact playing. The only part that EG can effectively do is specify the affect on handicaps. EG issued notices immediately after each announce by the government and/or the R&A.

Just what could EG have told the owner of your club?

Like I say above...I know not what the specifics are. I just know that the owner wouldn't waste his time moaning about something unless he felt severely let down by EG.

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well (assuming by your use of the phrase "your man" you are referring to my post without actually quoting it) you are assuming an awful lot there....our owner has been asking for advice/assistance from England Golf well before any hint of a return to golf was mentioned....so for you to assume that "he wants something more" after being told we can play golf is adding 2 and 2 together to get something other than 4.

Now...as the golf club is his business, I'm sure he has been talking with England Golf about matters not specifically related to the actual playing of the game but wider matters that directly impact the business...as its a privately owned club he hasn't shared with me the specific details of his grievances with England Golf but, knowing the man as I do, and a little bit about his background, he's no shrinking violet and wouldn't just go off whinging about EG for no good reason...I guess he has genuine reasons for dissatisfaction.

What does he want from England Golf - money? People can play golf - well run (and badly run by luck) golf clubs are raking it in....which should postpone the inevitable.....no idea what his issue is. I think the golf bodies, inc EG, have done a great job getting golf back on.