Late to the counter balance party?

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
Having been practicing my putting at lunch (reasonably well) I was asked by one of our greenkeepers to sell his putter for him. I said I’d duly oblige being renowned in our club for doing a deal or two. His putter is a 38” Spider Mallet 2.0, not my cup of tea really but I had a swish all the same.

Drain-O!

I couldn’t miss with the thing. It’s like putting on rails, the head is so stable. Lovely feel of the face, nice and soft and the long grip, which I thought would bother me, actually felt comfortable (gripping down like it was a standard putter) and solid. I won’t go so far as to say it was a revelation but I’d always avoided counter balanced putters as a thing of hocus pocus, which I now see was perhaps a mistake, having used every other putter under the sun. I’m tempted to buy the thing off him (mates rates, naturally) after maybe having another go with it.

So, those that have switched to counter balanced models, do you still use them? Happy? What particular improvements/issues did you see?

Cheers all

chasf

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Counter balance putters have improved my putting. I tend to flick the wrists when i put and the heavy putters with the counter balanced superstroke grip have stopped me doing it. Also i tend to pull my puts and i do not do it as much with the bigger headed putters. Just bought the taylormade counterbalance OS spider and its a great putter, although it looks massive.

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Had a TM DaddyLongLegs when it first came out, and continues using it until earlier this year when I changed to the TM Daytona OS COunterbalanace. Love the feel of CB on the stroke, and as you say very stable which is just what I want.

Nashy

Head Pro
Visit site
I tried it with a SeeMore CB putter, I used it for about 12mths on and off. I returned to my normal putter as I was more consistent on longer range putts.

The reason I never stuck with a broom handle years ago was because I struggled with longer putts to get the pace correct.