laser rangefinders

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
my club pro allows us to try out a laser for a round, free of charge, so I did. actually found it to be useful in that as I cannot judge how far the pin is onto a green it definitely makes a difference to what club I use.
the laser that I tried out, the only one he sells, was the Nikon 360. At nearly £240 I think it expensive for what is a pretty basic laser - no rain or mist compensation. I also think the graticule is a bit agricultural - you could hide half a dozen pins behind it.
So I'm looking for a better option and I don't want to spend a fortune on it, so I think Bushnells are also out of the running.
I'm looking at the Hawke RF5600 (also known as LRF600), which has all the modes at £130 - anyone tried one? Alternatively anyone tried the Longridge laser, can't get any details on that?

elliottlale

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
as chris says! after being let down by scottsdale golf for the SC 2.5, and after my good mate saying how good it is, tried theHillman Rangefinder, the 1500 model, and its a beaut! Cant really see why someone would pay over double, unless you have money to burn and want the words BUSHNELL written on the side

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
as chris says! after being let down by scottsdale golf for the SC 2.5, and after my good mate saying how good it is, tried theHillman Rangefinder, the 1500 model, and its a beaut! Cant really see why someone would pay over double, unless you have money to burn and want the words BUSHNELL written on the side

I got a Bushnell tour V2 about a month ago and its great. I got it from my local pro for £175 admittedly I did have prize money to burn. I’ve never been that interested in a gps as a few guys I play with have them and these all seem a bit temperamental.

My home course has yardages to the front and middle on sprinkler heads about every 10 yards anyway. The problem I have is I find judging where the flag is on the green very difficult at times, so a rangefinder is better for me.

So far it’s been very good. I used it at the last open of the season at Brora and managed to shoot a good score apart from the 7 on the par 3 18th for an 81 net 72 for buffer. Also had a 77 gross at Royal Dornoch and a 74 gross yesterday at Tain, where a managed to attack most pins with the range finder and my playing partners were all playing for the middle of the green. Also been shooting low at Nairn where two weeks ago I had 5 birdies, 3 of which were just tap ins from inside a foot thanks to being able to go straight for the flag.

I could see it being an issue if there were lots of blind shots, but of the courses I play regularly I can only think of one blind approach the 11th at Tain.

For me the Bushnell has been a good buy especially as it only actually cost me £75…

Last edited: