Kids golf

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Our club has a thriving junior section that we are lucky to have, and it's run by a very dedicated volunteer.
My 8 year old has a junior membership which is £60 a year, for which he gets to play the small par 3 course we have. He gets medals on Sunday's and can play most nights if he wants. This is an excellent deal.
However the winter "coaching" programs at the range (the range owner is also involved in our junior section and used to be our club pro) are what's got me baulking. The latest one is 17 week block, from December-March, one 1 hour session per week, culminating in a coach trip to St. Andrews to play a small par 3 course there. The cost is £170.
Is this the normal type of costs you pay for your kids for the golf and am I being to tight or is this expensive?
In comparing it to other things he does and my mates kids do, football, rugby, gymnastics, karate. it's kinda looking like the golf is almost double the other things

Last edited:

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Our club has a thriving junior section that we are lucky to have, and it's run by a very dedicated volunteer.
He has a junior membership which is £60 a year, for which he gets to play the small par 3 course we have. He gets medals on Sunday's and can play most nights if he wants. This is an excellent deal.
However the winter "coaching" programs are what's got me baulking. The latest one is 17 week block, from December-March, one 1 hour session per week, culminating in a coach trip to St. Andrews to play a small par 3 course there. The cost is £170.
Is this the normal type of costs you pay for your kids and am I being to tight or is this expensive?
In comparing it to other things he does and my mates kids do, football, rugby, gymnastics, karate. it's kinda looking like the golf is almost double the other things

£10 a head for kids group coaching seems like quite a rip off to me.
My grandson pays £5 and I think that is expensive for a shared hour with a dozen other kids. [£72 an hour rate for the pro]

Your membership fees and set up seem like good value but I think your Pro is looking for some easy money

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I assume the programme is voluntary although the lure to St Andrews would be enticing for the little un's It does seem a little steep although if you divide the cost down it's only £10 per session which doesn't seem too bad. Can you not pay per session?

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My grandson pays £5 and I think that is expensive for a shared hour with a dozen other kids. [£72 an hour rate for the pro]

Your membership fees and set up seem like good value but I think your Pro is looking for some easy money

This is my thoughts exactly and precisely why I haven't enrolled him. At 8 years old with a group of other kids they are basically just mucking about.

Yes it's completely voluntary, at 8 though he has no idea what St. Andrews actually is, the course they go to I can take him and play with him for £20, high season!! The time that they go it would cost both of us £11.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site

I'd agree £10 a session for quite expensive for kids group sessions especially in winter and 17 weeks is far too much of a commitment 5/6 blocks is plenty at that age. I wouldn't be happy signing my lad up either.

Ian_Bristol

Head Pro
Visit site
That's enough to make you choke, lots of folk can't afford that in one hit. Knowle GG do a Sunday morning group session with the shop pro's which can be 3 children or 15 children but the cost is the same £4, in the summer Dave Owen the junior organiser holds group lessons for 2 hours at a cost of £2 a child but free if they are a junior or jam member and they can earn golf passport certificates.
My 9yr old daughter does both but also has a one on one lesson with Nigel the shop pro which costs £10 a time for a 40 min lesson on the shop simulator.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
My 8 year old has a junior membership which is £60 a year, for which he gets to play the small par 3 course we have. He gets medals on Sunday's and can play most nights if he wants. This is an excellent deal.
However the winter "coaching" programs at the range (the range owner is also involved in our junior section and used to be our club pro) are what's got me baulking. The latest one is 17 week block, from December-March, one 1 hour session per week, culminating in a coach trip to St. Andrews to play a small par 3 course there. The cost is £170.
Is this the normal type of costs you pay for your kids for the golf and am I being to tight or is this expensive?

Wow cracking deal!

Lucky you to have that. Costs us that for swimming lessons for 10 weeks round here.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Brain burp....should only be £60 an hour for pro:eek:

Re swimming, you are also paying for the closure/part closure of the pool and lifeguards.
Does not apply to golf unless the lessons are on a busy range.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
£10 an hour? Bargain. Try getting babysitters that'll do that AND take them away on a coach trip for not much more than minimum wage.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My daughter attends weekly 1 hour long group sessions just for girls, run by one of the pros, and costs £3 each time.

Her membership to the club is free with me as a member, I just pay her union fees of £15.
As far as I know she has the same rights as me. She isn't good enough to play anything organised but if she were I'm sure she'd be allowed to enter any comps that our ladies can.

We've played a few holes on the main course and on the par 3 course, but she still prefers the range at the moment.