Karaoke Is Back

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've got my first gig this Friday since all this palaver started. I've checked all my stuff is fully working this afternoon and I'm ready to play !

I can't wait ! :D

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I know, no one, well maybe one person is interested, but don't care, sat here watching the monsoon conditions and thinking of the poor souls who play on the hill at Macc Golf Club and wondering why on earth do they, and tipping vast quantities of various now NON alcoholical beverages into my system, just though I'd give you an update. Well, the venue in question isn't known as a karaoke pub really and although I've played there a few times it's been a tough sell. Well not last night. After a few songs from meself and a little bit of coaxing from meself, we were off. non stop from 8.30 to 11.30 ending in a rousing Sweet Caroline by the entire pub as I handed out the radio mics to random people who hadn't sung at at but joined in with gusto at the end. Loads of hand shakes, and thanks from customers as I left, even one from the Landlord who hates karaoke but knows some of his customers enjoy it.
To those who have never really experienced a good karaoke night, I'm available for bookings !

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
O bla dee bla da from the Beatles last night as well. That went down a storm!!!!! Not me. As did my new Tom Jones song, which I was quite chuffed with.

Reactions: Val

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
If I could find out how to upload a video to here you'd all change your mind about karaoke. A bloke sang tonight that was awesome. I've only got the last 2 mins but you'll get the idea. Jesus this is what you wait for. I'll try tomorrow.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If I could find out how to upload a video to here you'd all change your mind about karaoke. A bloke sang tonight that was awesome. I've only got the last 2 mins but you'll get the idea. Jesus this is what you wait for. I'll try tomorrow.
I am already a big fan of karaoke. Back when I was 17-18 that was what first gave the confidence to sing in public, later moving into open mics and proper gigs with my band. Would I have ever done that without karaoke to test the waters first? Maybe not.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Hate karaoke over here. Too much like auditioning for one of the TV talent(less) shows. Why would I want to stand up on a stage in a pub and screech like an out of tune baboon …… why would I want to stand in a pub and listen to it either….

Much better over in Japan. Private room, in with a few mates, beer and food delivered to the room on request. We can screech to our hearts content without imposing it on anyone else.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hate karaoke over here. Too much like auditioning for one of the TV talent(less) shows. Why would I want to stand up on a stage in a pub and screech like an out of tune baboon …… why would I want to stand in a pub and listen to it either….

Much better over in Japan. Private room, in with a few mates, beer and food delivered to the room on request. We can screech to our hearts content without imposing it on anyone else.
To me that is not proper karaoke. That's cheating. The whole point of it is to be bold and sing in front of a lot of strangers. Ok, most people aren't great, or have had too many drinks - but it's a nice moment when you get the odd gem.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
To me that is not proper karaoke. That's cheating. The whole point of it is to be bold and sing in front of a lot of strangers. Ok, most people aren't great, or have had too many drinks - but it's a nice moment when you get the odd gem.
I hope you can see the irony in the post. The Japanese, who invented Karaoke, the word is Japanese, but what they do is not proper 😂 . I know what you mean, but still............

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I hope you can see the irony in the post. The Japanese, who invented Karaoke, the word is Japanese, but what they do is not proper 😂 . I know what you mean, but still............
I just mean the private room thing is not the proper way to do it. I'm sure they do it both ways in Japan depending on where you go. 🤷🏻‍♂️ I have seen karaoke bars in this country that have private rooms also.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I just mean the private room thing is not the proper way to do it. I'm sure they do it both ways in Japan depending on where you go. 🤷🏻‍♂️ I have seen karaoke bars in this country that have private rooms also.
Having spent more than my fair share of time in Japan, I can testify that pretty much every time I've ever been to or been taken to karaoke, it's always been private rooms in karaoke bars, definitely not not the proper way to do it.... ;)

I have been in a hostess bar where there is a stage and people get up and sing occasionally, but I think you'll find the karaoke bars are the main.

It's over here that we have moved it on to a performance for everyone in the house, that's not the proper way, at least not in my experience. You certainly wouldn't want me up on stage in a pub, and I certainly wouldn't want to be there either. But I have had some of the best nights ever with a group of friends in a karaoke bar in Kobe.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Having spent more than my fair share of time in Japan, I can testify that pretty much every time I've ever been to or been taken to karaoke, it's always been private rooms in karaoke bars, definitely not not the proper way to do it.... ;)

I have been in a hostess bar where there is a stage and people get up and sing occasionally, but I think you'll find the karaoke bars are the main.

It's over here that we have moved it on to a performance for everyone in the house, that's not the proper way, at least not in my experience. You certainly wouldn't want me up on stage in a pub, and I certainly wouldn't want to be there either. But I have had some of the best nights ever with a group of friends in a karaoke bar in Kobe.
Just seems odd to me. You can stay at home and drink in the lounge and sing a song with all your mates. Karaoke bar not needed in that case. Singing in front of strangers however is a different ball game. 😀

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
Love a little bit of karaoke.

We have booked a private room at a club on bank holiday weekend for 6 x couples. In our group is a professional singer, a guy who has played in a band most his life and then there’s me.

I prefer to do ‘rap’ songs because you don’t really have to have a good voice to hit those ‘notes’.

I am awful, but genuinely love getting up there and spinning a few lyrics like I’m Biggie Smalls.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Another karaoke fan here - in the private rooms you tend to need to drag the mic off me but in a bar in front of strangers I tend to just stick to songs that everyone knows and sings along to - it's not just me butchering it then 🤣.

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
I have a great idea to make karaoke better. Instead of someone trying to copy a song, often badly play a recording of the original artist singing it properly.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
KARAOKE INVENTOR HAS DIED

Sorry for your loss Crazyface.
What a genius. I've a lot to thank him for. Sometimes I sing songs that I really shouldn't and sound awful, but when I pick the right ones they usually go down well. I'm quite proud of the fact that, there are quite a few people who would never get up to sing, but after me pushing them to do so, they are now regular singers in that pub. And when I go back there, they spot me and tell me of this!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
What a genius. I've a lot to thank him for. Sometimes I sing songs that I really shouldn't and sound awful, but when I pick the right ones they usually go down well. I'm quite proud of the fact that, there are quite a few people who would never get up to sing, but after me pushing them to do so, they are now regular singers in that pub. And when I go back there, they spot me and tell me of this!
What are your top 3 'go to' songs?