Jim Venetoa

sandylc524

Club Champion
Visit site
I came across this old youtube video by Jim Venetos.

He is teaching his students to:
1) close the shoulder at adress
2) keep 70% of weight on right foot
3) preset the hip turn
4) keep body relatively still as you swing;
No weight shift.

Has anyone here tried this method? Im curious to know how it worked out. Thanks in advance

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Been playing golf for a long time and I have never heard of him, sounds like snake oil to me. Good luck if it works out for you though.

sandylc524

Club Champion
Visit site
Been playing golf for a long time and I have never heard of him, sounds like snake oil to me. Good luck if it works out for you though.

Thanks Doh. First time for me to come across his as well.

Was searching for tips on how to control going over the top.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Was searching for tips on how to control going over the top.

Try pausing slightly at the top/beginning of transition; and make sure your forearms/hands drop/go down rather than out! The concept/thought of 'swinging with the back' can help too - swinging/leading the swing with arms (especially if overly fast) promotes an ott swing because the 'centrifugal force' isn't countered.

sandylc524

Club Champion
Visit site
Try pausing slightly at the top/beginning of transition; and make sure your forearms/hands drop/go down rather than out! The concept/thought of 'swinging with the back' can help too - swinging/leading the swing with arms (especially if overly fast) promotes an ott swing because the 'centrifugal force' isn't countered.

I notice when im relaxed, i dont swing ott. But when anxiety creeps in, it’s a whole different story.

But what about Jim Venetos?

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Venetos has been around as a qualified pga pro for some time
he like a number of pro's has looked to promote a more definite 'model' type swing outlook to teaching
his view of a golf swing motion is one that has it's roots in s&t

can some folks use his 'method' & get around & play golf yes - & some folks no

is there anything in his teaching 'model/method' that is better to help stop the 'ott' swing sequences tendencies - no not particularly

to start to 'fix' an 'ott' swing sequence you have to establish the root cause of it in the swing

many things can play into 'otto right from the set-up - posture - alignments - grip hold - how the club is initially taken away (the direction/the path) & how the 'set' happens - where the hand's/arms/club get to at the top - inability to maintain posture in the backswing - folks range of motion ability (flexibility) - can be problems with having external rotation in the trail shoulder goin back to the top of the swing (this usually shows up when folks trail elbow is 'up' away from the body & points back behind over the heel - though notable Tour Pro's have had this and been able to play to a high standard because they made the right moves from the top to impact - generally index players with this issue struggle to manage that sufficiently well)

if whatever the root cause of your own issue with 'ott' can be correctly identified then work can be done to improve the problem

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Venetos has been around as a qualified pga pro for some time
he like a number of pro's has looked to promote a more definite 'model' type swing outlook to teaching
his view of a golf swing motion is one that has it's roots in s&t

can some folks use his 'method' & get around & play golf yes - & some folks no

is there anything in his teaching 'model/method' that is better to help stop the 'ott' swing sequences tendencies - no not particularly

to start to 'fix' an 'ott' swing sequence you have to establish the root cause of it in the swing

many things can play into 'otto right from the set-up - posture - alignments - grip hold - how the club is initially taken away (the direction/the path) & how the 'set' happens - where the hand's/arms/club get to at the top - inability to maintain posture in the backswing - folks range of motion ability (flexibility) - can be problems with having external rotation in the trail shoulder goin back to the top of the swing (this usually shows up when folks trail elbow is 'up' away from the body & points back behind over the heel - though notable Tour Pro's have had this and been able to play to a high standard because they made the right moves from the top to impact - generally index players with this issue struggle to manage that sufficiently well)

if whatever the root cause of your own issue with 'ott' can be correctly identified then work can be done to improve the problem

I've unknowingly used much (but not all) of this swing technique several quite successfully - when my dodgy hip has caused issues with my 'normal' movement - anticipation of pain is a great way to screw up a 'fluid' swing! It's been quite successful, though there HAS been a noticeable, surprisingly small, loss of distance - I'm a relatively good ball-striker anyway. I haven't completely pre-set the closed stance though, so my natural slight fade has tended to result.

With the hip still troubling me, I'll be trying the 'full' monty style tomorrow!

For driver, I simply played the ball even further forward (and higher) than normal.

I agree that he's promoting a 'style' but there's definitely logic to it! Timing (sequencing in coach-speak) is everything and any by eliminating multiple movements, the style should result in a better connection. The 'downside' is that the body simply reacts to the brain's unconscious belief that moving the torso back, then forward is the right thing to do. After all, hitting a baseball or chopping a tree requires such a movement to optimise the strike!

I also think he's talking bollocks about shaft flex being the key! To me, it's merely an indicator that the swing is working well. The shaft doesn't strike the ball (hopefully) and it's club-head speed at strike that affects the result (amongst other attributes) not amount of shaft flex!

It does seem that, like S&T, his approach would tend to reduce an/any OTT issue, but I don't believe that's a convincing argument to switch to styles! Better to cure/reduce the OTT issue in the current 'natural' swing imo!

sandylc524

Club Champion
Visit site
I've unknowingly used much (but not all) of this swing technique several quite successfully - when my dodgy hip has caused issues with my 'normal' movement - anticipation of pain is a great way to screw up a 'fluid' swing! It's been quite successful, though there HAS been a noticeable, surprisingly small, loss of distance - I'm a relatively good ball-striker anyway. I haven't completely pre-set the closed stance though, so my natural slight fade has tended to result.

With the hip still troubling me, I'll be trying the 'full' monty style tomorrow!

For driver, I simply played the ball even further forward (and higher) than normal.

I agree that he's promoting a 'style' but there's definitely logic to it! Timing (sequencing in coach-speak) is everything and any by eliminating multiple movements, the style should result in a better connection. The 'downside' is that the body simply reacts to the brain's unconscious belief that moving the torso back, then forward is the right thing to do. After all, hitting a baseball or chopping a tree requires such a movement to optimise the strike!

I also think he's talking bollocks about shaft flex being the key! To me, it's merely an indicator that the swing is working well. The shaft doesn't strike the ball (hopefully) and it's club-head speed at strike that affects the result (amongst other attributes) not amount of shaft flex!

It does seem that, like S&T, his approach would tend to reduce an/any OTT issue, but I don't believe that's a convincing argument to switch to styles! Better to cure/reduce the OTT issue in the current 'natural' swing imo!

Tried it today at the range and while it does tend to draw the ball - I noticed there was no loss of distance at all (although I may not be 'still' the entire time). Hit the first try really fat, then the next 10 or so balls flew with a bit of a draw. This was with an 8i.

IMO, this is a good drill to do on the range - but not a style I would necessarily adhere to while on the course.

Good drill though.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Tried it today at the range and while it does tend to draw the ball - I noticed there was no loss of distance at all (although I may not be 'still' the entire time). Hit the first try really fat, then the next 10 or so balls flew with a bit of a draw. This was with an 8i.

IMO, this is a good drill to do on the range - but not a style I would necessarily adhere to while on the course.

Good drill though.

My understanding of the word 'draw' is when the ball starts a little right of the target and finishes on target. Is that what you mean?

And why would you practice something on the range that you wouldn't use on the course?

sandylc524

Club Champion
Visit site
My understanding of the word 'draw' is when the ball starts a little right of the target and finishes on target. Is that what you mean?

And why would you practice something on the range that you wouldn't use on the course?

Yes. It starts right and draws back to the left.

The drill is to give an exaggerated feeling of an in to out swing (to fight ott).

I did this for about 20 balls then proceeded to hit using my normal swing. Worked great!