It's all about the kids

jdpjamesp

Q-School Graduate
www.jdpalmer.co.uk
Lovely long weekend, golf-wise. I frequently take either my 5 year old or my 6 year old with me for 9 holes at the local muni. They love carrying spare balls, tees, score card etc, and then helping me find my ball in the long stuff. MrsP was very busy on Saturday morning so decided to take both kids with me. The staff at the course said they weren't happy with me taking them out as the course was getting busy and they weren't really insured for the situation. Absolutely fine by me. So I said I'd take a couple of tokens for the range instead.
The amazing lady in the shop then proceeded to fish out a couple of junior irons for my boys so they could have a hit too. They've never hit a ball really other than just with my putter in the garden so they were really excited. We got a couple of baskets and they shared one booth while I used another. Showed them how to hold the club and how to stand and let them get on with it. 5 year old gave up after 10 minutes as it was hurting his fingers poor chap. But 6 year old absolutely loved it: chipping ball after ball 10 yards or so. We then spent another 30 minutes on the putting green (the lady in the shop lent us putters for them!).
So yesterday I took them to a big car boot and we found a junior iron and putter each for them. Spent a fiver in all for four clubs. They've seen better days but that's not an issue really as the boys aren't going to be hitting them properly for a while yet. Spent most of yesterday afternoon knocking balls around the garden, trying to hit skittles we'd set up.
Brilliant!

WillC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Great story, and if one day the boy does become a club golfer and beats you for the first time, you can look back in the clubhouse afterwards, remembering where it all started with that lady!

Copernicus

Club Champion
Visit site
It's lovely to see little kids paying with their parents. We all had huge amusement at the range last week when a kid - about 6 maybe - announced full voice as they were getting balls that 'It's really easy Daddy! You just hit balls out there and smile lots'. As you can imagine there were lots of rueful 'oh That's how you do it coming from the bay's full of laughing adults.
Then another five minutes later we heard sounds of frustration from the six year old and a cry of 'Daddy ! My ball won't be happy.'
Cue more rueful comments from the adults!

swanny32

Journeyman Pro
Tiptree, Essex - Where they make the Jam!
www.utilitywarehouse.org.uk
My eldest (now 8) gave golf a go but doesn't really have the patience for it really and would rather play football. My youngest (6 on Friday) has recently started going to "Little Tigers" every other Saturday with my pro and he absolutely loves it. £5 every other week is money well spent, he's only done one session so far, which was on putting, but he can't wait for his next session which is Saturday week.

I'm sure you'll find something similar for your two, it's great as I can practice at the same time.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Yup been there with young grandson tash. He was three in Dec. Highlight was A couple of months ago. The pro that takes them on a Saturday role up put a basket about twenty yards out. Young tash smashed it and it bounced once and landed in the basket. It was fantastic.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The trouble is, most kids give up golf for football, beer and women.
Then when their kids grow up and they're too old for football, they go back to golf and wish they had never given it up in the first place

jdpjamesp

Q-School Graduate
www.jdpalmer.co.uk
Too true! Although I can't see my eldest taking up football. He hates contact sports of all kinds. When he was informed he was going to be doing rugby at school he threw a right strop. In the end the only way I could get him to take part was by explaining that it would be touch rugby and they wouldn't be tackling/scrumming/mauling. Even then he was apprehensive. To be fair I can't blame him.

WillC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The trouble is, most kids give up golf for football, beer and women.
Then when their kids grow up and they're too old for football, they go back to golf and wish they had never given it up in the first place

This is exactly me - Especially the latter 2. After 3-4 years out I am now back to golf having rejoined at my club, and I wish I never stopped!

D

Deleted member 21258

I first took my daughter to golf, but not many times. She could actually hit the ball quite well, but didn't want to do come, make up took over and the orange tan look!!

Then started to take son when he was about 6-7 at a guess to Garons(Essex gc) on the par 3, it was winter, and he used to be wrapped up like an eskimo, with his cheap junior Dunlop clubs. He used to be able to hit the 3 wood about 80 yards iirc and buzzed when he hit a good one. He loved it. Then I gave up for to many years, came back for about 6 months 3 odd years ago, gave up again due to work/house and then back to it last summer and now have time to play weekly.

He found it and still does, incredibly annoying but over the last 3 months, is now really getting into it(now almost 15). He plays alot of golf now. And he is catching me up very quickly and wants to outdrive me and bet me. He still plays football and tennis.

The best bit of all of it, is that it is great seeing how a young'un starts out and how quickly they get better, hit it further and so on. Just magical to see, the beauty of youth.:swing: