Is there such a thing as correct ball position?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Genuine question based on a conversation/debate at the range tonight.

Myself and two friends hitting balls got taking about ball position.

You'll often hear it said that you should play your driver in 'x' position (Usually of your lead heel), or you should play your wedges centre stance. Here's a typical example from the internet:

300_BALL_POSITION_GUIDE_zpslmefudwe.jpg

I understand why it's suggested you play the ball in the positions described and illustrated above, but as each swing is pretty individual, does that make it more or less correct if a ball is played in a different position?

Obviously, you wouldn't play a wedge in your driver set up and position and vice versa with a driver.

When it comes to ball position, for a regular shot, is it a case of getting the ball position more correct for your swing as opposed to where it is commonly accepted the ball should be?

I know some people on here play a long iron around centre stance. There are others who play a wedge forward of centre.

As an example, I play everything from a wedge down to a 6 iron centre stance.

A friend of mine hits everything just off his front foot.

We have the same shot shape.

Does anyone have an opinion on this topic?

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Most of my irons are bang out of the middle, if I move them forward they draw stronger...and stronger. Too far back and they are blocks right.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I understand why it's suggested you play the ball in the positions described and illustrated above, but as each swing is pretty individual, does that make it more or less correct if a ball is played in a different position?

Obviously, you wouldn't play a wedge in your driver set up and position and vice versa with a driver.

When it comes to ball position, for a regular shot, is it a case of getting the ball position more correct for your swing as opposed to where it is commonly accepted the ball should be?

Bubba...... regular ball position? (can find other golfers if you want, Azinger rings a bell for one) ...

q6aiqi5.jpg

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
thing that's real important in any golf swing is where the low point of that swing arc is in relation to the intention of the shot with whatever club is being used.

& the players ability to 'find' the consistent low point needed for the swing motions being produced, that more governs where the ball position needs to be for folks.

many folks would have a deal better & consistent contact if their focus was more on where their low point is.
that along with a much clearer idea of the 'impact position' being a deal different to the setup. particularly in relation to the pelvic angles plus where the arms & hands need to be - at impact a ways closer to target than where they started at.