Irons on a par with mp59

splashtryagain

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Went for mizuno fitting and came out with these as my ideal!
Would like to know what is comparable from the other major manufacturers including cobra.
If I can hit the mp59 well (63 not far behind) then would the likes of cobras s3 pro be advisable with MB's for 7-pw?
Sorry for what is probably an oft repeated question but i'm going to run out of petrol money soon visiting all the various shops and pros so could do with narrowing it down first!

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Very difficult to answer, but Callaway Razr X Muscleback or X Forged irons, Taylormade MB irons (possibly MC irons) might be similar?

splashtryagain

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Thnx for the replies! In all honesty I have something illogical against callaway and taylormade - I don't know what it is either! The titleist look good but the cb version not the pure blade as I am not good enough for blades (although I would consider them in the shorter irons ie <7). Used the mp59 for 9 holes last night with proj x 5.5 in it and shot one under so they work but god they didn't feel that good off turf (sure they felt better of the mats at Clays).

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Alright mate, you're as bad as me!

I tried loads in the summer, thoughts:

Cobra Pro CB's - The best looking clubs bar none. Very close call for me not to buy these
Callaway X Forged 09(?) - Not great looking clubs but b*gger me they work
Nike Forged - Was pretty much between these, i15 or Cobra and went for these in the end. Happy so far

Not fancying the Cleveland CG Tour anymore? If you can get them for £199 they are a steal, top, top clubs and great to look at. Just a step too far for me consistently sadly!

splashtryagain

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
cheers iain - cobras looking good although shaft provides more problems - dg s300 will prob be fine but liking the look of kbs but at £130 extra they can sod off. px just take some of the feel away.
Clevelands do look nice but limited cf choice.

StuartD

Tour Rookie
Visit site
THis months mag has a review on the MP59 and the similar irons listed were

Callaway RAZER X forged

One of the forged TM's (cant remember which one)

Wilson FG Tour

Bratty

Visit site
You may not like Taylormades, but mine came with KBS shafts as standard, mate!

splashtryagain

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Its stupid really simon, I quite like the look of the mc (muscle cavity?) they do but it has quite a bit of offset which I don't want! The mizunos come with kbs as standard..........
Stuart - thnx for that I'll have a look at the callaways!

Bratty

Visit site
Its stupid really simon, I quite like the look of the mc (muscle cavity?) they do but it has quite a bit of offset which I don't want! The mizunos come with kbs as standard..........
Stuart - thnx for that I'll have a look at the callaways!
Then you could try the Tour Preferred MB irons, Andy? Minimal offset and look very nice. Even for TM's! :D

splashtryagain

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Yeah they look cool Bratty but i'd have no hope of consistency with anything over a 7 iron! Then i'd have to get the mc and back to offset! I'm going to look anyway you may have piqued my interest...........

T

thecraw

Ping S56.

And now I have to post pointless crap because of this stupid word limit nonsense.

D

Deleted member 3432

Why not the MP 59's if they came out as your ideal? Would save you a lot of travelling around and Mizuno's make pretty decent gear!

splashtryagain

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Simply because it was a mizuno fitting and I want to see if others can do better, also the mizunos are 200 quid more than the cobras!

D

Deleted member 3432

Simply because it was a mizuno fitting and I want to see if others can do better, also the mizunos are 200 quid more than the cobras!

Good point! Plenty of good irons out there so you get a decent set whichever you decide.