Irons for low handicapper

john1971

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hi Guys
Just a quick qusetion on irons, How do you choose which irons works with your handicap.Ive heard some conflicting discussions about low handicapper need blades and higher handicaps need plenty of forgiveness.
Surely it all about how YOU feel about it. I am single handicapper and play with callaway X20s which r very forgiving.
but when i play golf with fellow golfers they seem surprised i use such clubs lol :D

lee_leggett

Head Pro
Visit site
If your a player who like feel from the club, and you like to work the ball around the course, then a less forgiving mb blade may work. But to be fair, most compact cavity back irons from Mizuno and others are fab, You get feel and forgivness.

I use and titleist 690 mb blade, i like the look and feel. But its more about what works for you. try and few different clubs, you never no...

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Use what feels best and what works best. They could be £59.99 Donnays but if they get the ball nearer the hole than anything else it's a no-brainer unless you're a Gear Tart!
If you feel you need to "upgrade" the look but keep the Cally forgiveness and look then maybe the X-20 Tours will do you. As a single figure player you must have a reasonable swing and ball strike, you don't lose much forgiveness with the Tours. They do look better than the standard X-20 and your playing partners won't take the rise.
But if the X-20's work, you like them and you can cope with the banter then stick with them.

john1971

Medal Winner
Visit site
thanks lads for the advice i was going to try the mizuno mp58 and really see if feel is an advantage lol
Any deals out there on these irons?????

Nikki

Head Pro
Visit site
No way... looked at the parkview pro shop site when I was in
SA and it is so similar... It's under maintenance now, but it was more or less copy paste...

Typical South African SKELM!!!

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
What if your very forgiving irons are the reason you have a low handicap ;)

Only kidding

I would say it depends on how you see shots if you like to shape the ball and manipulate the height go for blades if you see everything as straight stay with a GI set

A

Alex1975

When you look down your club if you feel like you can hit it well, you can. Dont change them just because of what people say. However if you get custom fit you may gain some preformence from having the correct shaft for you.

The MP 58s are actually last years model but they were loved so much that Mizuno are keeping them in full production for another year. I suggest that you try all the Mizzy range 68(full blade), 63 (very sexy muscle back), 58 (classic muscle back), 53 (muscle back in the low irons and hidden cavity in the mid/long irons).

I am told other companys make irons but...

You read this forum so I dont need to tell you but please do get custom fit if you are going to get rid of the X20.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
A lot of the pros are using some form of cavity back these days and not out and out blades. If they are looking for a little help then it says to me that we (even those lucky enough to have the talent for single figures) may benefit as well.

Lots of choice out there but I guess ultimately it comes down to how well you hit them, and how much confidence you have in them.

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
I'm basically not a very good ball striker especially with mid/long irons. If I were to change to blades from my nice easy to hit and forgiving G10's I would fairly quickly find myself going up from 5. So no, I wouldn't agree that low players somehow "should" play with blades or tour edition irons etc.