Iron Shaft query

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Apologies at the start if this needs to be moved.

Ok here is the story....I currently play Ping i10's with stiff AWT shafts...Hitting them pretty well no real serious issues.....

Ever since i used wilsons FG Tour irons in the past iv always regretted changing them...I prefer the look of a midsize iron....So on friday last i swung by my local shop and picked up a demo 6 iron of the FG's with an S300 TT DG shaft...Standard loft and lie.

I took my own i10 6 iron with it out to the range and began comparing them...Flight on the FG's was a tad higher at the end of its arc but a more boring flight.It was also a little tighter dispersion wise and about 10 yards longer than the Ping....It felt a little stiffer and heavier but i seemed to swing it nice and easy and didn't feel like i needed to hit at the ball rather swing through it...

I was clipping it nice and clean off the mat.

So i decided to swing by my local Nevada Bob's outlet to get a check on my swing speed and see what the story was with the PGA Pro that was in there with them...I was more curios as to what shafts i should have.

Im not sure if this has ever happened to anyone but i couldn't hit the Wilson for toffee...Maybe a little tension but in seeing me swing the club he held it and had a few shots and said even he wouldn't used that shaft on the course it was just too stiff and heavy......

But the thing is i was hitting this thing perfect about 2 hours earlier...

Does anyone use S300's in thier irons and how do they feel.....

wull

Tour Rookie
Visit site
i use the s300's in my irons and i like them,the flight i get etc is good but tbh i could be doing with maybe a slightly stiffer shaft.even with good swings it goes a little left because of the lag with the clubhead.

but they still work well,i would stick with what you feel most happy with.if out on the course thay are working well then don't be put off by what the numbers say or the pro.out on the course is where it matters.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A pro who thought S300s were too stiff for him? really?

Considering plenty of pros use these (including the world no1) or the stiffer X100s then tbh I think he's talking rubbish

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
When I got fitted by Mizuno I tried their Shaft Optimizer gizmo.
1st choice was DGS300
2nd PX 5.5
3rd KBS Tour Stiff

Went straight for the S300 and the flight, distance, everything was fine. There's a reason these shafts have been around since Adam was a Lad - they work.
Got them in my new Cally's and they're still fine.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
A pro who thought S300s were too stiff for him? really?

Considering plenty of pros use these (including the world no1) or the stiffer X100s then tbh I think he's talking rubbish

I was thinking this myself Fundy.....
Ok the wilsons felt a little heavier than my Pings but i would say a huge amount....

I tend to be a little heavy handed with things anyway...My job is a panel beater so between hammers and the tools of my trade everything i work with are rather on the weighty side....
I wouldn't say that the wilsons were very heavy though...

As i said they seemed to make me consiously slow down my swing to hit them. But the outcome was very good.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
S300s on my AP2's, wouldn't mind rifle 6's, perhaps even a smudge stronger to help keep my height down and I prefer the step less look.
I thought they felt grand and not difficult to hit fairly consistently (well, for a 7-8 handicapper)

beck9965

Head Pro
Visit site
When I got fitted by Mizuno I tried their Shaft Optimizer gizmo.
1st choice was DGS300
2nd PX 5.5
3rd KBS Tour Stiff

Went straight for the S300 and the flight, distance, everything was fine. There's a reason these shafts have been around since Adam was a Lad - they work.
Got them in my new Cally's and they're still fine.

Same here, i was fitted with the shaft optimizer and the S300 was the shaft that gave me the most consistent flight, the KBS gave me more distance but was not as accurate as the S300, personally i love them.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Been fitted twice in the past from the TM tourvan. The first time was I was given Precision Rifle 6.5. The second time they fitted me I was given the same shaft but in a 5.5. I did ask why this was as I could hit the 6.5 in my irons spot on but he was getting me to have a 5.5 in the new clubs. I was explained that the shaft can be relevant to the club it is being fitted to. The first time I was buying the 300 series tour forged. the second time it was the RAC LT2. I was told that the LT2 was designed more with the club golfer in mind to give him a tour trajectory with plenty of control and spin. I have a high ball flight so needed the 6.5 in my previous irons to keep them down more. No difference in distance between the 2 clubs and both had the same ball flight. If anything I preferred the flight on the LT2. I think shaft can be relevant to the club you are buying.

m10johnson

Head Pro
Visit site
I am looking at new irons at the moment seen some nice second hand ones with s300 shafts.

I recently bought a Callaway diablo octane driver with a Project X 6E7 6.0 stiff. Will this match up well with the s300's?

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
I am looking at new irons at the moment seen some nice second hand ones with s300 shafts.

I recently bought a Callaway diablo octane driver with a Project X 6E7 6.0 stiff. Will this match up well with the s300's?

I only know two players who use this shaft on their driver both play off 1HC and both are super ball strikers.

Is your swing speed fast enough for this set up...........Is your ball striking good enough to get the benefit from stiff shafts?

I've lost count on the amount of people who play stiff shafts and dont have a clue.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I only know two players who use this shaft on their driver both play off 1HC and both are super ball strikers.

Is your swing speed fast enough for this set up...........Is your ball striking good enough to get the benefit from stiff shafts?

I've lost count on the amount of people who play stiff shafts and dont have a clue.

I agree with this 100%. Too many people insist on playing with stiff shafts. Not sure if it some kind of macho thing or if they think they will hit the ball further and better. IF the shaft is too stiff then you will never get the correct ball flight and if anything actually loose distance. Like I said on my previous post I did have rifle 6.5 and now have 5.5 which are classed as a firm shaft.

mc73

Club Champion
Visit site
I know a club pro who doesn't have a fast swing speed but uses a stiff shaft because it helps him square the club face at impact resulting in better accuracy, he does gve up a bit of distance to achieve this but nothing to worry about

m10johnson

Head Pro
Visit site
I don't know a lot about shafts and that but when I tested the regular and the stiff shaft on the driver I found that the stiff gave a more consistent ball flight and carrying about 10 yards further...

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
I started with S300's with a swing weight of D4 and I found that I was hitting the ball really high. When I played with a scratch golfer and saw that he was hitting a lower more penetrating ball flight I asked him how he did it. He said he had started out with S300's but changed to the X100's to keep his ball flight lower. I switched and added weight to make all my irons D8 and I found this really helped with a more penetrating flight. You have to get out there and hit shots with each type of shaft. Get to a Mizuno retailer with Swing DNA to get started.