Internal O/B

fylde6

Hacker
Visit site
Hi Chaps, a bit of advice please. Can you make a local rule to make an internal out of bounds but only for the tee shot?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Off the top of my head the answer is no, it has to be for a minimum of the play of a particular hole. Will double check for you.

Committee may make a Local Rule under Rule 33-2a declaring part of an adjoining hole to be out of bounds when playing a particular hole, but it is not permissible for a Committee to make a Local Rule placing an area of the course out of bounds to a stroke played from the teeing ground only.

33-2a/14

Last edited:

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
We have internal OOBs at 2 holes, we have white stakes indicating where the OOB starts and where it finishes, and it isn't the full length of the hole, it stops about 30 yrds from the green.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
We have internal OOBs at 2 holes, we have white stakes indicating where the OOB starts and where it finishes, and it isn't the full length of the hole, it stops about 30 yrds from the green.

Course local to me has oob only half way down the hole

The nature of these responses seem to indicate some confusion about the issue.

The area that is OOB can be any size, anywhere.

That is not the same issue as the rule posted above.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
And all of this is why the R&A frown upon internal OOB in the first place.

It took me a lot of persuasion with two committees to get it removed on our courses.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How can you decide if a ball is OoB if it lies just past the second stake without another stake to give direction of OoB at the end of the line?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

How can you decide if a ball is OoB if it lies just past the second stake without another stake to give direction of OoB at the end of the line?

There should be a second stake at the end, set back at 90° to the final line of the OOB margin. In the absence of such a stake the OOB is taken to be at 90° and continuing until it reaches a defined parameter, or the course perimeter.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
There should be a second stake at the end, set back at 90° to the final line of the OOB margin. In the absence of such a stake the OOB is taken to be at 90° and continuing until it reaches a defined parameter, or the course perimeter.

Never thought of this - obvious I suppose. At williamalex1's place if I was not playing with him I would not know that the post marking the end of the internal OoB was just that unless there was another at right angles as you identify. I might think that there could be another white post further on - even although I might not be able to see it. How would I know whether or not I was OoB if I was over an extended line from the last post I can see.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Having another stake to give line definition seems obvious. However in regards to no stake and the ruling being 90degrees, 90 degrees in relation to what exactly? Which is what I was alluding to. Surely this leaves the ruling of being OoB open to abuse in this instance.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site

There's a small ditch that runs the length of the OOB with white stakes every so often, it stops at the last white stake, printed on the score card .
The reason for our internal OOB is health and safety, 4th hole is a left to right dog leg with trees on the corner, cutting the corner means driving into players coming down the 3rd hole

Badly designed i know, but it been like that since 1905.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
There's a small ditch that runs the length of the OOB with white stakes every so often, it stops at the last white stake, printed on the score card .
The reason for our internal OOB is health and safety, 4th hole is a left to right dog leg with trees on the corner, cutting the corner means driving into players coming down the 3rd hole

Badly designed i know, but it been like that since 1905.

If I wasn't with you when playing that hole would I know that the last white post was the end of your internal OoB - I can't remember if the ditch also defines the extent of the OoB or whether there is anything written on the card that would enable to me to positively identify the final post. I have no excuse though as you told me where the OoB was and I proceeded to whack it right there :)

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Having another stake to give line definition seems obvious. However in regards to no stake and the ruling being 90degrees, 90 degrees in relation to what exactly? Which is what I was alluding to. Surely this leaves the ruling of being OoB open to abuse in this instance.

No, it's very precise. 90° to the line of the OOB at that point. You establish the line of the OOB in exactly the same way as you would to establish if a ball the other side ofnthe stake was in, or out, of bounds (usually by reference to the previous white stake).

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
No, it's very precise. 90° to the line of the OOB at that point. You establish the line of the OOB in exactly the same way as you would to establish if a ball the other side ofnthe stake was in, or out, of bounds (usually by reference to the previous white stake).

The card states OOB if in or over the ditch separating the 3rd & 4th holes when playing the 4th hole, i'll try and post a picture ASAP.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
The card states OOB if in or over the ditch separating the 3rd & 4th holes when playing the 4th hole, i'll try and post a picture ASAP.

You wont need to post a picture for me. I can easily visualise it and it's a common version of an OOB LR that's fine.

We seem to have got crossed somehow, probably me quoting you in a different context!

Whilst your ditch doesn't run the whole length of the hole the criticalmthing from a LR perspective is that it doesn't matter where on the 4th hole you make your stroke from when it enters the defined OOB area.(which was the original posts question) and the OOB area is defined in the LR such that the stakes are only indicating it's existence rather than its parameters.

Last edited:

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Never thought of this - obvious I suppose. At williamalex1's place if I was not playing with him I would not know that the post marking the end of the internal OoB was just that unless there was another at right angles as you identify. I might think that there could be another white post further on - even although I might not be able to see it. How would I know whether or not I was OoB if I was over an extended line from the last post I can see.

It wouldn't have mattered Hugh, your ball was in a different post code lol

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We have an internal OoB which was added for safety reasons to stop players driving into people walking towards them on the ajoining hole. Initially this was a white staked line but they have changed it this year so that only the ajoining fairway is OoB.

So somewhat bizarrely you can hit it over the next fairway and still be in bounds. There is a lake on the far side of the adoining fairway so you could hit a tee shot into the water and be in bounds. Take a drop and continue playing!

There are no markings for OoB on the hole.