Interested in starting golf

seb500

Visit site
Hi all, new to this forum so go easy easy on me! :]

Right, as you can see by the title, I'm interested in taking up golf, but I'm stuck as to were to start regarding clubs. As we are in the experts section.. could some of you shed some light on how you went about it.

After a brief search on the web, I'm considering getting something like this: http://www.european-golf-online.com/wils...nts-package-set

But is there anything else worth considering?

Anyway, any feedback or tips would be greatly appreciated. Throughout my sporting career with football and basketball (stopped by a knee injury), I've always had an eye on golf, playing pitch and puts on holiday etc, but now im dead keen to get started!

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
You can get some great bargains at your car boot sales there are some really good sets at carboots these days,however do your research and know what your buying,start cheap and as you become a better player upgrade as you improve,once you become consistant you may consider custom fitting,good luck.

AuburnWarrior

Tour Winner
Visit site

Right, as you can see by the title, I'm interested in taking up golf, but I'm stuck as to were to start regarding clubs. As we are in the experts section.. could some of you shed some light on how you went about it.

After a brief search on the web, I'm considering getting something like this: http://www.european-golf-online.com/wils...nts-package-set

Anyway, any feedback or tips would be greatly appreciated. Throughout my sporting career with football and basketball (stopped by a knee injury), I've always had an eye on golf, playing pitch and puts on holiday etc, but now im dead keen to get started!

Welcome to the forum!!

OK, 1) Get yourself a very cheap 5, 6 or 7 iron.
2) Book yourself some lessons with a local PGA pro - you need to nail the basics - grip, stance, etc.
3) Practice
4) Practice
5) Practice
6) Practice
7) Practice
8) Practice
9) Practice

Good luck.

Once this game's got ya - it won't let go.... :mad:

seb500

Visit site

Welcome to the forum!!

OK, 1) Get yourself a very cheap 5, 6 or 7 iron.
2) Book yourself some lessons with a local PGA pro - you need to nail the basics - grip, stance, etc.
3) Practice
4) Practice
5) Practice
6) Practice
7) Practice
8) Practice
9) Practice

Good luck.

Once this game's got ya - it won't let go.... :mad:

was going to sort out the clubs, probs that wilson set as it seems to be a good starter. Then arrange some lessons at local course and possibly go to lee westwoods academy as my dad knows him

lee_leggett

Head Pro
Visit site
If i were you I woudl get down to a sport shop like sports direct or a shop like that, they do full sents aimed at beginers for around £50.00.. They can also kit you out with everything you would need for around the same again. Its not the best gear in teh world, but its enough to get you started, and well if you dont like it or the wife cant stand to be away from you for 5hrs on a sunday afternoon you have not really lost much.

I would say have a lesson or 2 first, as if you have the basics right to start then you will be building on that.

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
OR.......

get a move on and grab these sharpish

Great bargain clubs...

Then we'll find you a 3w and a putter and you're good to go.

I got myself a bag from here at the begining of last year, and it's still going, pretty good for teh price I paid ( mine was the cheaper version they don't do any more ).

These clubs will be tougher to use than the one's you are thinking of, but they'll give you a better trade in if you decide to upgrade at any point.

Not to say those cheap sets don't do a job, but there's always two sides to a story. The Petron Skyline set was out a couple of years ago at £200 - you should be able to pick up a complete set somewhere near £100 nowadays. They are damn good vfm if you go down that route.

Just a couple of thoughts :eek: