Installing a shaft adapter (Titleist Surefit)

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Morning all.

Just after picking your brains with regards to installing shaft adapters.

I've measured the tip of a Matrix shaft I've picked (Thanks Gary :thup:) with a Vernier calliper. Tip diameter is 0.335 (measured right at the tip), so have brought a 0.335 adapter to suit.

The adapter is due to be delivered today, along with the grip.

I have done installs on grips for a good while now and have no issue there, however this will be the first time installing a SureFit adapter to a shaft.

Are there any "Do's and Don'ts" I should be aware of when installing an adapter?

Any recommendations for epoxy, or tips for installing greatly appreciated :thup:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Nope! Simple process. Logo down is the normal alignment, but adapters muck that up somewhat - and there's much less need these days apparently!

Make sure you clean the epoxy up though. And leave it long enough to harden - overnight at least

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you can wait, the slower setting epoxy the better... it drys harder but you can also use 20 min stuff.

groundskeeperwilly

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Sorry to hijack the thread but I'd quite like to fit a couple of adaptors myself. I have the shafts and the tips are prepared. I can get the adaptors from E-bay. Does anyone have a good link to a decent epoxy? And a step by step of how to do it? I had assumed it was just put some epoxy on shaft/in adaptor and press home but I guess there may be more to it...

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Sorry to hijack the thread but I'd quite like to fit a couple of adaptors myself. I have the shafts and the tips are prepared. I can get the adaptors from E-bay. Does anyone have a good link to a decent epoxy? And a step by step of how to do it? I had assumed it was just put some epoxy on shaft/in adaptor and press home but I guess there may be more to it...

Based on the above (Installing a grip comment) I'm guessing not?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies guys.

One further question.

Trying thr adapter on the shaft, without epoxy, there is a very small amount of play.

Not a lot by any stretch of the imagination.

Should they push on tight or is this tin amount of play normal?

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
There genearlly is slight play. Shafting beads or very fine sand can be used to help centre the shaft if you want. The epoxy will fill the void though so not a major issue.
Araldite Rapid is my epoxy of choice.

Just one noteof caution. If the shaft has been used it might have hardened epoxy in the centre hole which will create an airlock in the adaptorand may just push the shaft back out. If the shaft is new then no prob, but just be aware of that slighthinderance on used (and gripped)shafts. I say grippedasif you need to remove hardened epox, the grip stops it and you get a rattle of thee poxy inside the shaft.

Last edited:

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies guys.

One further question.

Trying thr adapter on the shaft, without epoxy, there is a very small amount of play.

Not a lot by any stretch of the imagination.

Should they push on tight or is this tin amount of play normal?

That's because you used a verynear and not a mic :D

Slight play is how if found them too.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
There genearlly is slight play. Shafting beads or very fine sand can be used to help centre the shaft if you want. The epoxy will fill the void though so not a major issue.
Araldite Rapid is my epoxy of choice.

Just one noteof caution. If the shaft has been used it might have hardened epoxy in the centre hole which will create an airlock in the adaptorand may just push the shaft back out. If the shaft is new then no prob, but just be aware of that slighthinderance on used (and gripped)shafts. I say grippedasif you need to remove hardened epox, the grip stops it and you get a rattle of thee poxy inside the shaft.

Thanks for this Greg.

Something I never thought to add in the OP.

Yes the shaft is a pull, but the end has been cleaned and the hole in the tip is clear of epoxy.

It does currently have a grip on it, which is going to be removed and a new one added once the adapter has been installed.

Would you recommend removing the grip prior to installing the adapter Greg?

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks for this Greg.

Something I never thought to add in the OP.

Yes the shaft is a pull, but the end has been cleaned and the hole in the tip is clear of epoxy.

It does currently have a grip on it, which is going to be removed and a new one added once the adapter has been installed.

Would you recommend removing the grip prior to installing the adapter Greg?

Remove the grip first and check that you can see light through the shaft. The epoxy can get some distance inside the shaft bore so may look clean but still has some. Easier to do that than find out after you try to glue it and then need to clean it all out and start again.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Remove the grip first and check that you can see light through the shaft. The epoxy can get some distance inside the shaft bore so may look clean but still has some. Easier to do that than find out after you try to glue it and then need to clean it all out and start again.

Just blown some air into shaft at the tip end. You can clearly hear it exiting the butt end through the breather hole in the end of the grip.

Makes no odds either way as the grip will be coming off anyway :)

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just blown some air into shaft at the tip end. You can clearly hear it exiting the butt end through the breather hole in the end of the grip.

Makes no odds either way as the grip will be coming off anyway :)

Will be ok then. Just annoying when you get it all set up and then the shaft bounces out of the hosel with an airlock.