inkjet printer probs

hopeful

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Are so-called 'compatible' inkjet cartridges liable to b****r up my photo printer? Been having trouble with my Canon Pixma iP5000. First one colour then another fails to come through properly, resulting in pictures with a pink/ green/whatever cast. Cleaning routines only work for a short time. Had the ink carrier out & cleaned it by carefully placing it on wet tissue. Canon help-line basically say if you don't use original inks & paper don't expect decent results. But the cost of original ink cartridges is scandolous, the cheapest web site I can find is still around 40 quid a set. :eek:

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
the manufacturers will always say that theirs are better and the only ones you should use. that said some 'compatible' cartridges will cause problems, others probably won't. the difficulty is that you have no idea how the respective inks are made.
Canon are more prone to this as the printer head is part of the printer whereas with some others they are part of the cartridge.
I had this problem on an earlier model Canon, and I had used compatible inks, however I had also not used it in a while. Never solved it and a replacement head was as much as a new printer.
If you have a Cartridge World in your area it may be possible to get them to fill a set of cartridges with the solvent they use to flush cartridges before refilling.

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
I only use compatible after market cartridges for my printers and have never ever had trouble with any of them they save me a flipping fortune as well.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I've tried compatible ink cartridges along with other manufacturers papers and find the best results are always obtained by using the pukka gear for my Epson printer.
I don't skimp where inks or papers are concerned, especially for photos.