Infringement without penalty

NearHull

Visit site
Whilst playing an individual strokeplay competition, i played from a bunker (poorly) onto the fringe of the green. I busied myself raking the bunker etc and when I walked onto the green one player was replacing my ball. I asked what he was doing and he replied that he marked my ball as it was interfering with his stroke. He had played his stroke and was replacing my ball, he did not clean it.
I believed that he couldn’t touch my ball without asking me to mark and lift. After discussions with a referee , I understand that it was an infringement but without penalty.

The 2 rules relevant to lifting the ball situation are
  1. 14.1b - re authorisation and
  2. 15.3b - when relief allowed.
The referees comments. The ball was obviously interfering with his swing etc so he should either ask you to move it or ask for your permission to mark and move it. In stroke play , whilst there is an infringement, there is no penalty, however in match play 9.5 it is relevant and had he done what he did, he would get one penalty stroke.

My question is this , why have infringements without penalty?

The only thing i could identify of why there are infringements without penalties, is that if there were multiple infringements, the player could possibly be disqualified under 1.2. improper conduct.

Thoughts please on the posed question.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Where there is no advantage to be gained by any player or disadvantage to any other player or the field resulting from the action…it just shouldn’t be done as there are similar actions that may have more significant consequences? Just guessing.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Whilst playing an individual strokeplay competition, i played from a bunker (poorly) onto the fringe of the green. I busied myself raking the bunker etc and when I walked onto the green one player was replacing my ball. I asked what he was doing and he replied that he marked my ball as it was interfering with his stroke. He had played his stroke and was replacing my ball, he did not clean it.
I believed that he couldn’t touch my ball without asking me to mark and lift. After discussions with a referee , I understand that it was an infringement but without penalty.

The 2 rules relevant to lifting the ball situation are
  1. 14.1b - re authorisation and
  2. 15.3b - when relief allowed.
The referees comments. The ball was obviously interfering with his swing etc so he should either ask you to move it or ask for your permission to mark and move it. In stroke play , whilst there is an infringement, there is no penalty, however in match play 9.5 it is relevant and had he done what he did, he would get one penalty stroke.

My question is this , why have infringements without penalty?

The only thing i could identify of why there are infringements without penalties, is that if there were multiple infringements, the player could possibly be disqualified under 1.2. improper conduct.

Thoughts please on the posed question.
There is no infringement in strokeplay. The other player is an outside influence by definition and Rule 9.6 covers the situation. An outside influence cannot be penalised.

Last edited:

Steven Rules

Visit site
This exemption from penalty on the basis that another player in stroke play is an outside influence does not hold universally and does not tell the full story. For example, under 11.2b a player gets the general penalty if they deliberately deflect or stop any ball in motion. This is true whether it is the player’s own ball or a ball played by an opponent or by another player in stroke play.

Steven Rules

Visit site
We had a related discussion a few days ago on the potential consequences of lifting another player’s ball without the express authorisation of the owner. See link.

Regular followers of this forum may be aware that this is an issue that irks me a lot.

See #14 onwards at:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
This exemption from penalty on the basis that another player in stroke play is an outside influence does not hold universally and does not tell the full story. For example, under 11.2b a player gets the general penalty if they deliberately deflect or stop any ball in motion. This is true whether it is the player’s own ball or a ball played by an opponent or by another player in stroke play.
But that is about an intention to influence play. This case is not.

Rule 9.6 is very specific not open to general interpretation.

Last edited:

Steven Rules

Visit site
But that is about an intention to influence play. This case is not.

Rule 9.6 is very specific not open to general interpretation.
I obviously misundetstood the point you were making.

An outside influence cannot be penalised.
At #4 I thought you were making a universal statement that an outside influence cannot be penalised.

In response, the point I was making at #5 was that there are circumstances where an outside influence can incur a penalty.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I obviously misundetstood the point you were making.

At #4 I thought you were making a universal statement that an outside influence cannot be penalised.

In response, the point I was making at #5 was that there are circumstances where an outside influence can incur a penalty.
#4 Within the context of the question
#5 I agree

I don't think I have disagreed with you previously but now sorted I think (y)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
After the covid pandemic I find myself not picking things up anymore.

I used to pick litter bottles etc on the course but not any more.

I would not be happy with someone touching my ball without permission and think they should not be able to do it .

Fist bump and no handshakes is the norm .

NearHull

Visit site
Just back from today’s Roll Up. (Not bad, thanks for asking)

Thank you for the replies from , what I believe are the well informed rule forummers, but I’m really no further on with my quest why are there infringements without penalty? It’s like having a law passed by an Act of Parliament that states ‘ Thou shall not …..’. But if you do, no problem.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just back from today’s Roll Up. (Not bad, thanks for asking)

Thank you for the replies from , what I believe are the well informed rule forummers, but I’m really no further on with my quest why are there infringements without penalty? It’s like having a law passed by an Act of Parliament that states ‘ Thou shall not …..’. But if you do, no problem.
Yes and what are you infringing if there isn’t a penalty.

NearHull

Visit site
Perhaps I’m looking at it from the wrong end of the telescope. If the rules are trying to tell me that, should I carry out those actions during match play, I would receive the penalty and if I carry out the same action in Strokeplay, then that’s allowed?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Perhaps I’m looking at it from the wrong end of the telescope. If the rules are trying to tell me that, should I carry out those actions during match play, I would receive the penalty and if I carry out the same action in Strokeplay, then that’s allowed?
It's the difference between an Opponent and the definition of an Outside Influence. One has a vested interest in any possible affect on your score. The other arguably doesn't

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's the difference between an Opponent and the definition of an Outside Influence. One has a vested interest in any possible affect on your score. The other arguably doesn't
Surley both do.
In a medal he’s part of the field trying to beat you and everyone else.

NearHull

Visit site
Perhaps the confusion in Strokeplay is that the Outside Influence is also a fellow Competitor and don’t all competitors have a duty to protect the rest of the field?

Swango1980

Visit site
After the covid pandemic I find myself not picking things up anymore.

I used to pick litter bottles etc on the course but not any more.

I would not be happy with someone touching my ball without permission and think they should not be able to do it .

Fist bump and no handshakes is the norm .
I remember the days of the fist bump after a round of golf.

However, the norm is definitely hand shakes where I play. Probably not had a fist bump since 2022, and I play a lot of golf with a lot of different people.